Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Camaro Hub Pattern vs. ZR1 Pattern

My question is about the hub pattern/compatibility of the new ZR1..,

Some of you may know where this is going, but for those of you that don't:

The new ZR1 uses the first factory General Motors production Carbon Ceramic braking system.

I believe they are about 15.5 inches in diameter and would provide exceptional braking for a car that is heavy with a lot of HP.

I know they won't be cheap, but they last a LONG time (think 100K miles; even with hard use) and coming from GM, they have to be cheaper than a Porsche caliper/custom ceramic rotor combination...

So, does anyone think (that with even bigger wheels, possibly) that the new ZR1 rotors and/or calipers w/ brackets will fit onto the 5th Gen....Maybe on the Z28 or done in my garage?
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
i think there is a good chance they will fit since they used to have the same bolt pattern (i think) but i don't know about the calipers
Old 08-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Even the stock brakes will do really well with abs and stabilitrak. It's kinda an integrated unit that controlls all 3. If anything the Brems will crash first, .... from cars hitting you from behind lol (just a joke). Brembs are the superior option and a great safety enhancement.

I think messing with the vette stuff. At least for now just would be kinda waste. And won't be any better than the Brembs. IMO*
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Great idea in theory. I would love the carbon ceramics too. The brakes are not from GM, they are from Brembo. These are the exact brakes that come from the Ferrari Enzo and I think the Bugatti. Yes they will basically last the life of the car. The problem is they don't stop any better....unless you are running them as hard as you can. In daily driving the carbon can't heat up enough to REALLY benefit. I think it was Car and Driver did a test in the August issue I think comparing the brakes on several cars. The GM cars performed well against Europe, and better than Japan. At any rate, they tested Porsche's standard brakes and the carbon ceramics and they tested nearly identical until they were REALLY pushing them. the main benefit is the fade resistance, because with brakes today, it really boils down to traction (surface and tires) and ABS. Sorry about throwing all that up, I just read the article and I am a big brake guy. My '99 Z warped the rotors in 30K miles, and it drove me nuts. My VW had 200K and I replaced the fronts just because, I actually still had some life left.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
actually Chevy said F you ferrari and asked brembo to make CC brakes that were bigger then the ferrari's biggest front and rear brake. and yes those shouldnt be too hard to get mounted on the camaro. ultimately
Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
My question is about the hub pattern/compatibility of the new ZR1..,

Some of you may know where this is going, but for those of you that don't:

The new ZR1 uses the first factory General Motors production Carbon Ceramic braking system.

I believe they are about 15.5 inches in diameter and would provide exceptional braking for a car that is heavy with a lot of HP.

I know they won't be cheap, but they last a LONG time (think 100K miles; even with hard use) and coming from GM, they have to be cheaper than a Porsche caliper/custom ceramic rotor combination...

So, does anyone think (that with even bigger wheels, possibly) that the new ZR1 rotors and/or calipers w/ brackets will fit onto the 5th Gen....Maybe on the Z28 or done in my garage?
I still have the stock rotors and brake pads on my 03 Avalanche with 146K miles. They have been checked several times and there is still plenty of pad left and the rotors still look good. So it just doesn't seem necessary to me. I also use to pull trailers and a 24 foot RV with it pretty often.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
headpunter

i bet your 03 'Lanche's brakes wont grab like those Carbon ceramics will.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i bet your 03 'Lanche's brakes wont grab like those Carbon ceramics will.
Probably not, but the camaro will be more than adequate for the street. Of course it you plan to be doing 24 hour type racing, then I would say go with the ceramic rotors.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
headpunter

i love monster brakes so much. and carbon ceramics are the gods in the pantheon of brakes.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I know that they are not really for street use (unless your car is a TRUE street/track car), but the fact that GM will have a P/N for them almost quarantees that the price will be lower than individually pricing all the custom parts out.

It is not all about the braking power...A HUGE amount of unsprung weight is reduced, which helps in ALL aspects of performance, especially with the the 20" rims that come on the SS...

Also it would be nice to know that even after some HARD back country driving, that the car will stop with the same consistency as the day the brakes were new...
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I think Porsche claims it drops about 40 lbs from the car. I could be off, but either way it is a lot of weight.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote