Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #57
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
Here's my "Goldilox" theory again.

Stock exhaust too quiet.

Loud aftermarket exhaust too loud.

NPP exhaust just right .

Time for porridge again.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #58
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
If that were always the case, it would be very easy to understand, but it is not. If you have a greater restriction up stream, reducing some restriction at the end (in this case the muffler) will not help the engine. I believe this to be the case with the Camaro. Folks used to put loud mufflers on cars without changing out exhaust manifolds for headers, and there was no gain even though the new mufflers were less restrictive. That is why some exhaust mods do not have any measurable HP gains, even though the sound may be more desirable to the car owner.
I guess my opinion is that if there is any gain, which I doubt, it is trumped by the increase in noise. I have no problem with competition vehicles being loud because the goal is to get as much out of the vehicle as possible, but minimal gains are not worth the noise. This may all be because I am older than probably many on this site. I would still love to see a before and after NPP test, but that may never happen
As far as the cat back systems, having worked in the racing / performance industry for 15 years before my new career, don't believe every dyno result, especially those where the testing is done by the manufacturer.
Urine Luck! We have an Old Farts thread. j/k

My personal take on NPP is I wish mine had it for one reason. They sure do look cool.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #59
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
If that were always the case, it would be very easy to understand, but it is not. If you have a greater restriction up stream, reducing some restriction at the end (in this case the muffler) will not help the engine. I believe this to be the case with the Camaro. Folks used to put loud mufflers on cars without changing out exhaust manifolds for headers, and there was no gain even though the new mufflers were less restrictive. That is why some exhaust mods do not have any measurable HP gains, even though the sound may be more desirable to the car owner.
I guess my opinion is that if there is any gain, which I doubt, it is trumped by the increase in noise. I have no problem with competition vehicles being loud because the goal is to get as much out of the vehicle as possible, but minimal gains are not worth the noise. This may all be because I am older than probably many on this site. I would still love to see a before and after NPP test, but that may never happen
As far as the cat back systems, having worked in the racing / performance industry for 15 years before my new career, don't believe every dyno result, especially those where the testing is done by the manufacturer.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I may need to get my walker and head on over to that thread. Tough crowd here! I agree it does look sharp.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #61
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Here's my "Goldilox" theory again.

Stock exhaust too quiet.

Loud aftermarket exhaust too loud.

NPP exhaust just right .

Time for porridge again.
The porridge sounds good!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #62
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
Quote:
Not opinion. GM does not claim it adds any to the Camaro. They do however claim it does on the Corvette. And from these two facts you come to the conclusion that it adds it to the Camaro. Now I did ask my dealer, and they are not the end all be all authorities (even though they should be), but the answer was that NPP added no power. Putting a reduction in restriction at a point downstream of the greater restriction will not gain you anything. Enjoy the added noise if its what you want, but accept it for what it is.
So basically, no solid proof to whether there is or isn't horsepower gain. Therefore your statement is an opinion.

I wanted to point out that no argument should ever include "dealer said"... more often than not, a dealership will tell you anything to make you happy with the car.. Camaro you're interested in has npp? "it adds horsepower!!" (which was what my dealership told me)... no npp and you're the type that doesn't like loud noises? "yeah it's just a glass pack.. zero gain"

I really have no idea whether it gives hp or not.. but it sure does look badd as hell.. but to each his own, your car should be how you like it.. the fewer people with npp exhausts the more mine will stand out
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #63
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
"the fewer people with NPP exhausts, the more mine will stand out" RonnieG

Oooh... that's right... uh... my official stance on NPP has changed.

NPP loses 6 hp.

NPP looks dumb.

NPP sounds like a herd of farting wildebeasts.

Do not buy it.

Last edited by natmad; 06-03-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling... again
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #64
Allgrey

Drives: '13 AGM/1SS/1LE/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
"the fewer people with NPP exhausts, the more mine will stand out" RonnieG

Oooh... that's right... uh... my official stance on NPP has changed.

NPP loses 6 hp.

NPP looks dumb.

NPP sounds like a herd of farting wildebeasts.

Do not buy it.
YEP!
Allgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #65
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Ted Janetty has stated that catback systems do not increase HP in the Camaro. And he has dyno'd a lot of Camaros. And he sells catback systems so it would be to his beneifit if they did increase HP. But they don't. At least none Ted has done.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #66
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
The Corvette NPP is just like the Camaro as it's the same system other than the mufflers.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #67
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I love me some NPP, the machismo boost from sound alone is good for 2/10ths in the quarter mile.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #68
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Love mine also. With a CAI, NPP, VMAX TB and 1LE complete rear end putting down 401 at the wheels.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #69
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Love mine also. With a CAI, NPP, VMAX TB and 1LE complete rear end putting down 401 at the wheels.
Just curious, what was it before the mods?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #70
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieG View Post
So basically, no solid proof to whether there is or isn't horsepower gain. Therefore your statement is an opinion.

I asked a shall remain unnamed source at GM directly about the NPP on the Camaro and they stated that with the flaps open in it worth 3 to 4 HP. Take that for what you will.....