Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #57
shags

Drives: 2016 SS Garnet Red A8
thanks guys.. i put 87 in yesterday and it ran the same so i thought id ask today someone told me this the other day and like my older mustang they said premium only must be a ford thing haha.. thanks again you 2

shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #58
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shags View Post
as a new 2015 lfx owner i have heard many conflicting things.. iv'e always used 91 in mine for the last month since i have bought it then someone told me the motor is only tuned for 87 and putting 91 or higher in won't do anything unless you do a fuse pull with 91 in and let it set then the computer will change is this true ?
I've tuned both Camaro V6 engines, the LLT and LFX. The LFX tune has 2 octane tables, high and low. When a fresh tune or ECU is reset (fuse pull) the Knock Learn Factor is at 0.00, meaning it uses 100% High Octane timing table. When knock is detected, the knock learn factor increases based on the amount of timing being retarded and starts to blend the 2 tables together. If the knock retard has to be constantly active, the knock learn factor will hit 1.00 and the low octane table will be used all the time. If the knock sensors are deactivated, the low octane table is used.

On the LLT, it is only tuned for 91 octane (99% can't understand the Bosch ECU) and uses the knock sensors to run on 87. It will remove timing till it doesn't see knock, but the problem is it has a huge recovery time. The max timing removed can be 12 degrees (below 6000 RPM, higher RPM's is 15 degrees) and can take over 2 minutes to remove that knock retard.

The LLT is 11.3:1 compression ratio, the LFX is 11.5:1, the only reason they can run 87 octane is direct injection and very sensitive knock sensors.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #59
shags

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
I've tuned both Camaro V6 engines, the LLT and LFX. The LFX tune has 2 octane tables, high and low. When a fresh tune or ECU is reset (fuse pull) the Knock Learn Factor is at 0.00, meaning it uses 100% High Octane timing table. When knock is detected, the knock learn factor increases based on the amount of timing being retarded and starts to blend the 2 tables together. If the knock retard has to be constantly active, the knock learn factor will hit 1.00 and the low octane table will be used all the time. If the knock sensors are deactivated, the low octane table is used.

On the LLT, it is only tuned for 91 octane (99% can't understand the Bosch ECU) and uses the knock sensors to run on 87. It will remove timing till it doesn't see knock, but the problem is it has a huge recovery time. The max timing removed can be 12 degrees (below 6000 RPM, higher RPM's is 15 degrees) and can take over 2 minutes to remove that knock retard.

The LLT is 11.3:1 compression ratio, the LFX is 11.5:1, the only reason they can run 87 octane is direct injection and very sensitive knock sensors.

thank you i know my car is only 3 weeks old and iv'e ran both 91 and today i put 87 in it because someone told me 91 will do no good so i figured i ould try 87 to see if i can notice anything which im sure i won't but figured i would see..

Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #60
shags

so if i had a full tank of 91 and pulled the fuse it will learn 91 and be fine that way ? or bassicly don't worry about it and just run 87.. i haven't done any mods yet i just bought it.. my mustang i had was tuned and bolt on.. so i just went 91 right away on this figured all new car's still needed it lol

Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #61
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
so if i had a full tank of 91 and pulled the fuse it will learn 91 and be fine that way ? or bassicly don't worry about it and just run 87.. i haven't done any mods yet i just bought it.. my mustang i had was tuned and bolt on.. so i just went 91 right away on this figured all new car's still needed it lol
The LFX will learn fast, but pulling the fuse will bemail faster. You will feel the timing difference on the top end and also at the track.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #62
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
I've been using regular since I got the car. No need to throw money away when you don't need too. Car doesn't run slower or get less MPG'S because I'm using regular. I know people swear on premium like it's the holy bible, but for the V6 you will be fine with regular.
Except that my data monitoring shows consistent knock/detonation using 87oct that's evident in timing retard data, and it's still there with 91oct, just nowhere near as much. When I pre-mix 100oct and 91oct, I get no timing retard that indicates knock/detonation. My mix is 2:7, so 2gal 100oct to every 7gal 91oct, which should bring it to a flat 93oct.

I also tried the fuse pull last night, and though the engine was having a very 'peppy' day, it don't think the fuse pull did anything for my 2015 v6. (what I mean by 'peppy' day....some days the car just feels like it's a bit sluggish, and others it seems to run like a scalded dog, though I can never explain why or how.)

At the very least, higher octane will go further to help prevent knock/detonation, and thus reduce timing retard, which will direct affect the performance of the engine. I figure for $2 difference per tank, why use the lower octane?

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #63
shags

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
The LFX will learn fast, but pulling the fuse will bemail faster. You will feel the timing difference on the top end and also at the track.
thank you.. i need to run a full tank of 87 out then ill try it lol

Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #64
shags

\

At the very least, higher octane will go further to help prevent knock/detonation, and thus reduce timing retard, which will direct affect the performance of the engine. I figure for $2 difference per tank, why use the lower octane?[/QUOTE]

that's what iv'e been doing it's not bad at all and im not worried about fuel economy since my damn suburban only get's 8mg lol but im going back to 91 lol

Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #65
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:

that's what iv'e been doing it's not bad at all and im not worried about fuel economy since my damn suburban only get's 8mg lol but im going back to 91 lol
I'm going to try to get a nearby gas station (friend is a fueling manager) to import some 93 octane for the valley, we'll see how it goes. The gas station I'm referring to is the Love's near Wild Horse Pass, same one that has the 100 and 110 octane.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #66
shags

I'm going to try to get a nearby gas station (friend is a fueling manager) to import some 93 octane for the valley, we'll see how it goes. The gas station I'm referring to is the Love's near Wild Horse Pass, same one that has the 100 and 110 octane.[/QUOTE]

no shit.. iv'e been out there but i didn't know they had that.. ill have to check the loves on the west side maybe they have it as well

Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #67
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shags
no shit.. iv'e been out there but i didn't know they had that.. ill have to check the loves on the west side maybe they have it as well
I think the reason this one has the racing fuel is because it's right across the street from the wild Horse Pass race tracks...not sure of any others in the valley personally.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #68
shags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
I think the reason this one has the racing fuel is because it's right across the street from the wild Horse Pass race tracks...not sure of any others in the valley personally.

yeah i think you are right.. i heard a couple stations around carrying vp racing fuel but not sure which ones

Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #69
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
yeah i think you are right.. i heard a couple stations around carrying vp racing fuel but not sure which ones
It's expensive too! $8.50/gallon for 100 octane!

Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #70
shags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
It's expensive too! $8.50/gallon for 100 octane!

feck!! lol