Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Racaro seats covers

Is it possible to get new Recaro seat recovers from the dealer ?? if i wanted to recover mine ??

Last edited by Scotty D; 06-04-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #2
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Nope. They stopped making them...even the foam. I suggest you take your covers to a good upholstery shop and have them make a replica for you (if your covers are shot). The price will probably be about north of 1k...depending on your shop. I had to get a seam repaired on a set I bought. They replaced 3 panels, basically one side, which cost me 350. Find a shop that’s really anal about their work, ask to see samples or references.

You’ll want to find a place that does restorations or close to it. Good luck.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
Scotty D

I called the dealership today
They said its $1000 for each back cover and $600 for each bottom cover
So $3200 for them !!! Ouch lol F**k that
Old 06-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Is it possible to get new Recaro seat recovers from the dealer ?? if i wanted to recover mine ??
Quote:
I called the dealership today
They said its $1000 for each back cover and $600 for each bottom cover
So $3200 for them !!! Ouch lol F**k that

Which dealership? I called several and all said, it’s on national backorder with no date on when it will be available. That price is about right. The lowest I found was 800+ but shipping was crazy. Most were listed at 1k.

But yeah, at some point, it would be more cost effective to go with aftermarket seats. For that amount, I would start looking at the recaro sportsters.

Update:apparently, the bottom cushions are available. ~140 + shipping. Mine is being delivered next week. They really get you on shipping.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
96SS390

Drives: 2006 BOM GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
Which dealership? I called several and all said, it’s on national backorder with no date on when it will be available. That price is about right. The lowest I found was 800+ but shipping was crazy. Most were listed at 1k.

But yeah, at some point, it would be more cost effective to go with aftermarket seats. For that amount, I would start looking at the recaro sportsters.

Update:apparently, the bottom cushions are available. ~140 + shipping. Mine is being delivered next week. They really get you on shipping.
Where did you order these from? If you don't mind my asking what was your total cost?

Idk how they could charge $3k for seat covers when you can find used Recaro's for well under that.
96SS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Scotty D

I didn’t order them lol
A place up here in boston Mass
And your right
Can find them cheaper for the hole set of seats
Crazy im just going to have them custom covered this winter with better leather
Because to be honest factory leather kind of sucks
And the bottom drivers cushion on the left Getting in and out there’s a metal bar that keeps bending I’m going to have that reinforced
Old 06-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Level300

Quote:
I didn’t order them lol
A place up here in boston Mass
And your right
Can find them cheaper for the hole set of seats
Crazy im just going to have them custom covered this winter with better leather
Because to be honest factory leather kind of sucks
And the bottom drivers cushion on the left Getting in and out there’s a metal bar that keeps bending I’m going to have that reinforced
Yeah that sounds like the best solution. A couple of things to keep in mind....
1. Tell them to save the original seat cover pieces for you. They will separate all the panels and copy them to make a new panel for the new covers. In the event you need to make additional seat covers, you’ll have the original factory pieces.

2. Make sure they use the special air bag thread For the panels that need them.

3. Think about buying additional leather from them, enough to redo the seat again if you have leather that exactly matches the factory leather. No two rolls of leather are the same, unless they came from the same animal.

That bar that keeps bending is most likely bending because of a weld failure. You might want to fix that sooner rather than later. The bar is welded to the thin seat frame at three places. The bar weld broke taking a piece of the seat frame with it. I had my upholstery guy weld it for me. For a bigger guy it will most likely break again because the frame is thin but I’m lighter and I am careful when sliding in and out of the seat so I don’t mess up the leather and put additional strain on that bolster.

Make sure you bend the bar back to the original angle (somewhere Around 32 degrees) before you get it welded. Bend it gently and slowly but don’t be surprised if another weld breaks depending on how long it’s been bending back and forth. Fear not, it can all be fixed.

So far, there are no issues with my seat repair. Here’s a picture of what’s probably going on with your seat....