Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
My first (production) Camaro experience (w/ fbodfather)

So I went straight to the Long Island Auto Show last night and got there exactly at 5PM. I look out on the floor, I don't see it. Please tell me I'm in the right place. I walk towards the back, getting more nervous that it's not there. Finally, that beautiful red machine. Absolutely speechless. This is by far the most amazing car I have ever seen in person. I felt bad shrugging off the product rep while I was just staring at the car, and just kept saying, "I know, I know". I think I stood there for about half an hour, just studying every angle and couldn't find anything wrong with this car besides the fact that I wasn't driving it home on the LIE that very second.

Lo and behold, who shows up, but Mr. Settlemire. I always said that I would one day shake his hand and thank him for this car. Wow did I get way more than I bargained for! I can't imagine how much Scott talks about this car on a daily basis, but for everyone that came up to the car, he would be just as enthusiastic with them as the person 5 minutes before. It was quite a treat to see him in action. I happened to meet Linda at the show who I had met a few weeks earlier at the RAMP Camaro/Corvette show, and who has known Scott for quite some time. So what does he do...he invites me to join them for dinner. Who does that? I'm nobody, and yet Scott is just one of those rare people who will go out of his way to just make your day. I'll skip over the dinner conversation (which ended late into the night at 11:30) , but I'll finish off with my lasting impression.

If even half of GM is as passionate about cars as Scott is, I have no doubt in my mind that not only will this Camaro be the best car we drive, but that GM will be just fine.

Thank you Scott!!!

Last edited by Croathlete; 10-17-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added Picture
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Thanks for sharing a great story.

It reminds me of the first time I saw the Concept in person. It was at the NYIAS in '06, and I had a smiliar reaction; I just wanted to stand by the car all day.

But BY FAR, THE GREATEST time was going out to dinner with Scott afterwards. Scott is "one of a kind", and we all should consider ourselves VERY lucky to know him and have him "in our camp".

Scott is a HUGE REASON why I love the Camaro so much.

Glad you got to experience a very memorable time.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
WOW .. that sounds like a great experience !!!

Crowley
Old 10-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
02bluess
Camaro Addict

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 SIM A6
Man, that is awesome!!

While you were on a roll, you should've asked if you could take the Camaro to dinner
02bluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
great story!
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
That was a great story, I am looking forward to meeting Scott someday.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Having known Scott professionally and personally for about three years now, no truer words have been spoken.

Each time we are together, we have a tremendous discussion and share our personal stories. He epitomizes the definition of a true Gentleman Enthusiast!!!

GM would benefit immensely if they had more people like this to represent the company.

As always Scott, All the best and Much Success !
Old 10-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
awwh, good story!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Great story. Hopefully we all get a chance to meet Scott in our new Camaro's one day!!

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02bluess View Post
Man, that is awesome!!

While you were on a roll, you should've asked if you could take the Camaro to dinner
Haha, Scott had the door open for a minute so we could take a look at the interior and I was seriously fighting the urge to jump behind the wheel.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
He's one of a kind! Unfortunately when God made him, he threw away the mold.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Hey Scott, come to Pittsburgh and I'll buy you dinner!!!

Oh yeah, you have to bring the Camaro with you. LOL
Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I had a similar experience with Mr. Settlemire and the Silver Concept. We had met at the NAIAS show at the unveiling and he was a gracious and wonderful host. When the Concept hit the show circuit, he e-mailed me to ask if I would join him in Kansas City before the show and go over the car with him. I was already in the Tahoe before I finished reading the mail.

So I walk into the show hall, and there, on the podium is the concept under a cover. I am standing there, he walks over, rips the cover off, shows me how to open the doors and hood and what not and says " Don't let ANYONE ELSE up here!" - and walks away leaving me unfettered access to the car, of which I spend at least an hour by myself crawling all over the car. I was so excited that I had forgotten the camera that I had brought with me (IDIOT!). After I had exhausted all synapses on the car, Scott comes back over and we go through the car and what needs changed and what he hopes would survive from concept to production. It was just a wonderful experience, and his love and passion for the car was very exciting.

It gets better! While waiting to finish setting up the cars for the show, in rolls the then hot and new Z06 in bright yellow, and he looks at me and asked ME to park it for the show. While I only drove her 20 - 30 feet in tight quarters, it was a thrill. ( I moved a few cars while on the stand helping them set up for the show. the Z06 and the SSR being my favorites ) Later at dinner I must have had a goofy look on my face and Scott looked at me with a grin and said to another guest that was seated with us " He is still 'excited' about that Z06!" He was right. It was the icing on the cake after all the time with the concept.

Scott is a wonderful, warm, and fun person to be around, and his passion for the cars was enthusiastic to say the least. If you EVER get the chance to meet him, do not hesitate, or you will miss out on one of the TRUE car guys of our time. And the exciting news is: HE IS NOT ALONE!!! there are others that I met at the Camaro Pre-launch party that worked in various aspects of vehicle development that were just as excited as we are about cars!
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Croathlete,

Now you know how all of us who have met Scott feel. He is truly an incredible person.

I could never say enough about him and the obvious passion he has for the Camaro and GM.

GM is lucky to have someone like him...VERY LUCKY. He alone, has made THOUSANDS of LIFELONG GM customers and devotees. He keeps that twinkle in peoples eyes and will never cease to amaze me.

Again, thank you for everything you do, Scott. Sincerely....I thank YOU.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote