Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-29-2021, 11:16 PM   #1
Bubbafire88

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss A6 "Chief"
New cam help

Hi yall, so I'm putting in a tsp stage 2 cam (229/244 .629"/615" 112 LSA, 109 ICL) along with the l99 to ls3 conversion kit with all the bells and whistles needed, ill admit i am quite young and don't have a good place to work on it so i brought it to my highschool autoshop class so I could do it in there, after i finish the complete install will i be able to drive it to my local tuning shop which is approximately 9 minutes or 4.1 miles. will driving it untuned cause any damage?
Bubbafire88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:33 PM   #2
Bubbafire88

Also I forgot to add that the car currently has headers, intake
And colder ngk tr6 spark plugs with a tune from RDP
Old 09-30-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
First off I love this! Way to take the initiative and do this yourself! That cam sounds pretty simmilar to mine. If you can ask your tuner to come load a base file for you. Or see if anyone can trailer it for you. However you should be fine people do it all the time. Just keep your foot out of it for about 500 miles and take it nice and slow on the way there. It's gonna dive like trash. You're likely going to have very soft breaks caused by the cam robbing vacume from the booster, some surge, and it's gonna wanna stall. Have somone follow you for sure.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #4
Bubbafire88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmkuper View Post
First off I love this! Way to take the initiative and do this yourself! That cam sounds pretty simmilar to mine. If you can ask your tuner to come load a base file for you. Or see if anyone can trailer it for you. However you should be fine people do it all the time. Just keep your foot out of it for about 500 miles and take it nice and slow on the way there. It's gonna dive like trash. You're likely going to have very soft breaks caused by the cam robbing vacume from the booster, some surge, and it's gonna wanna stall. Have somone follow you for sure.

Thanks I've always wanted to install a cam and now i have the chance, just ironing out the "plan" to move the car to the shop, good thing the shop is super close. Also is their some sort of break in period after i get it all finished that i should follow?
Old 09-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #5
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbafire88 View Post
Thanks I've always wanted to install a cam and now i have the chance, just ironing out the "plan" to move the car to the shop, good thing the shop is super close. Also is their some sort of break in period after i get it all finished that i should follow?
A friend of mine once told me. "Them parts ain't gonna be any newer than they are right now. NOW LEAN ON THAT SOMBITCH!"

Personally I would take it easy for the first 500 miles monitor oil pressure and temperatures. You definitely want to change the oil after about 500 miles and check for any metal shavings etc.... I had my tuner get it running decent before we fully tuned it at WOT. Not sure its nessisary just what I felt comfortable with. Lots of people "LEAN on it" the first time they drive it.

Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote