Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #99
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
While I agree with the point you are trying to make, do you really need to ask this question? Having something over someone else is the very spirit of competition! Would we want an industry where that is NOT the case? Think about it.
I'm not your typical "competition" champion...but regardless...my point was all I was trying to make - and couldn't think of another way to make it.

Some of our faithful are worrying themselves needlessly.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #100
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm not your typical "competition" champion...but regardless...my point was all I was trying to make - and couldn't think of another way to make it.

Some of our faithful are worrying themselves needlessly.
I think we all get your point; the ZL1 would be a great car regardless of whether or not there was a Ford Mustang. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), there is and some people seem to need the ZL1 to thoroughly beat it in all areas of performance or they will consider it an affront to the Camaro legacy. I'm not one of those people, you're not one of those people but there are plenty of them here on this board! I think they comprise the bulk of your worrywarts.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #101
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I think we all get your point; the ZL1 would be a great car regardless of whether or not there was a Ford Mustang. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), there is and some people seem to need the ZL1 to thoroughly beat it in all areas of performance or they will consider it an affront to the Camaro legacy. I'm not one of those people, you're not one of those people but there are plenty of them here on this board! I think the comprise the bulk of your worrywarts.
That about covers it.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #102
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
You're so right! Why have we not thought of it before; a way to help reduce unemployment! I mean, drag racing and NASCAR don't require any real skills, so why hasn't everyone flocked to those motorsports to help pay the bills until the economy rebounds and they can go back to their regular, more complicated jobs.

The fact is, you don't have to like the sport but you have to respect the skill set of the people who participate in those sports. If it was really as easy as you make it sound, everyone would be doing it.

While I agree with the point you are trying to make, do you really need to ask this question? Having something over someone else is the very spirit of competition! Would we want an industry where that is NOT the case? Think about it.
I'm sorry but I don't take it seriously because:

1: You're driving in a straight line
2. The only true skill requried is being able to launch the car and being able to accelerate past the competition.
3. NASCAR is simply driving a car around an oval and hoping someone will crash and burn (at least for me, someone crashing and dying seems to be the only reason to watch).

I will not ignore the fact that it requires practice, practice and more practice to do either of these "sports." However I guess I'll never really understand the infatuation Americans have with driving in a Straight line or around in an oval. Takes all kinds though so I'll respect you guys on that degree, cause you found a way to make something mundane exciting for yourselves. I mean that in the best possible way too, text can always be misinterpreted.

You also seem to misunderstand the laziness of people. Everyone expects a handout and that's the main reason I don't donate to something that hasn't personally affected me as a person or one of my family members or support welfare. Stereotypes exist for a reason, I don't personally say Eh all the time but I know a handful of people that do...
Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #103
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRoFreK View Post
I don't think it's all about HP numbers. The ZL1 has a lot of other features the GT500 don't have at this point.
Like... It exists? That's always a nice feature.

Seriously guys, this will never be settled. And the Shelby 500 is made by Ford, the 350 is made by Shelby.

I like all of'em: Camaro's, Mustang's, Chargers and Challenger's. We are very lucky to be able to live these times again (well, some of us). Appreciate what you've got or what you can afford and enjoy the hell out of it.

Last edited by AZ MSCL; 11-27-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #104
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRoFreK View Post
I don't think it's all about HP numbers. The ZL1 has a lot of other features the GT500 don't have at this point.
Both: Adjustable Suspension, Launch Control, Aerodynamic Enhancements, Forged Rims, Differential/Transmission/Oil Coolers, Brembo Brakes

ZL1: Performance Traction Management, Automatic Transmission, Dual Mode Exhaust, IRS

GT500: Ford Sync/Navigation System, Recaro Seats, LRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ MSCL View Post
Like... It exists? That's always a nice feature.

Seriously guys, this will never be settled. And the Shelby 500 is made by Ford, the 350 is made by Shelby.

I like all of'em: Camaro's, Mustang's, Chargers and Challenger's. We are very lucky to be able to live these times again (well, some of us). Appreciate what you've got or what you can afford and enjoy the hell out of it.
If you don't like it just shut up about it....
Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #105
Mr. Wyndham

Since I OH-so-hate these threads, I had to add some footnotes. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Both:

Adjustable Suspension,
One to an exponentially-higher degree than the other...
Launch Control,
Aerodynamic Enhancements,
One is "enhanced"...the other actually produces usable downforce.
Forged Rims,
Differential/Transmission/Oil Coolers,
No clever addition from me here, but I did want to note that I'm very interested to see which setup will work more efficiently, given that one is optional equipment and the other is built-in, standard.
Brembo Brakes
One has them on both axles...the other...not so much.

ZL1: Performance Traction Management, Automatic Transmission, Dual Mode Exhaust, IRS

I did not enjoy the GT500s recaro seats as much as I wanted to. They were very slippery, and everything was manual control (speaks bargain basement to me) but the bolstering was nice. Though I would not have ordered them, this is one feature I wish Camaro team would have stolen out of the CTS-V. THOSE are nice seats.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #106
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
I think we can both agree that both cars, which are not out yet, have to be tested by an independent group. Not that douche from the Smoking Tire that I so hope will just die already. Until then NEITHER CAR IS EXPONENTIALLY BETTER THAN THE OTHER PERFORMANCE WISE. I think that is something that the 5% of intelligent/civilized Camaro5 members can agree with.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #107
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I think we can both agree that both cars, which are not out yet, have to be tested by an independent group. Not that douche from the Smoking Tire that I so hope will just die already. Until then NEITHER CAR IS EXPONENTIALLY BETTER THAN THE OTHER PERFORMANCE WISE. I think that is something that the 5% of intelligent/civilized Camaro5 members can agree with.
Probably not in terms of performance. Because, you're right, we just don't know. But I'm secure enough in my bias to say that I truly believe the ZL1 will come out the better car once the dust settles.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #108
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:

I did not enjoy the GT500s recaro seats as much as I wanted to. They were very slippery, and everything was manual control (speaks bargain basement to me) but the bolstering was nice. Though I would not have ordered them, this is one feature I wish Camaro team would have stolen out of the CTS-V. THOSE are nice seats.
I know what you mean. I was sliding all over the 2012 I drove but Ford fixed the Recaro's for 2013 and added alcantara inserts to make them not slippery.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #109
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I agree about the slippery recaros. I test drove a friend's 2012 and didn't like my arse slipping around too much but man, the recaros look sweet!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #110
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Probably not in terms of performance. Because, you're right, we just don't know. But I'm secure enough in my bias to say that I truly believe the ZL1 will come out the better car once the dust settles.
In all honesty, I truly believe that once the dust settles the 2013 GT500 is going to come out ahead in all the key areas of performance. 0-60, 60-0, top speed, quarter mile and skidpad. In the end, I think the ZL1 will be left with only it's 'Ring run to hang its hat on.

Maybe not, but time will tell.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #111
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
Are you just sad cause you bought a 2010 GT and the 5.0 came out the next year?

It's ok bro I feel for you...
Not sad about anything. My wife wanted the 2010. I've offered to trade it in for a Boss or a 5.0 but she loves her car. So I guess she's going to get a Whipple S/C at some point. She waited two years for the Camaro SS (she's always been a Camaro girl). Went to the dealer, drove it and hated it. I was shocked and disappointed when she came home with the Mustang but it's actually pretty fun and she won't give it up.

Thanks for your concern though!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #112
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I know what you mean. I was sliding all over the 2012 I drove but Ford fixed the Recaro's for 2013 and added alcantara inserts to make them not slippery.

It took me a few times to notice that, I'll be ordering my GT500 with the Recaro's if they have that kind of look to them, not too much alcantara but not too little, same reason I love the steering wheel in the GT500 it's not all alcantara so it doesn't look too gaudy and it doesn't have too much leather just a perfect combination. The ZL1 steering wheel however still looks better than the 2010-11 one.

Quote:
In all honesty, I truly believe that once the dust settles the 2013 GT500 is going to come out ahead in all the key areas of performance. 0-60, 60-0, top speed, quarter mile and skidpad. In the end, I think the ZL1 will be left with only it's 'Ring run to hang its hat on.

Maybe not, but time will tell.
Ford makes amazing cars it will not be a surprise to me if they can make the Mustang out handle the ZL1 even with it's live axle. It's likely that even if that happen's the Camaro with its "superior" technology (HUD, MSRC, PTM) will still be praised by fanboys regardless of if it get's it's ass handed to it. Either that or it we will have the stupid/uneducated members of Camaro5 saying it's still a Mustang or the Camaro looks better still. Takes all sorts though and the same will happen if the GT500 get's it's ass handed to it though I will be amazed if Ford doesn't have something up it's sleeve......

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 11-28-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Closed Thread