Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Opinions on Corsa with HF cats?

I want to make sure a catback/HF cat combo I'm thinking of will not have any drone.

Right now I just have Solo HF cats on a stock LS3. Stock catback. I like the increased sound of the HFs, but want just a bit more.

If I went with the LS3 Corsa catback and the HF cats is there absolutely zero drone in 6th gear? Or would the L99 system with the resonators be a safer bet with the HF cats to make sure to avoid drone?

I'm very picky about drone and do a ton of highway driving in the 70ish mph range 6th gear. OK with increase sound, I like what the HF cats did, but can't have drone. Audio nut too, so I need to be able to enjoy the stereo clearly.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
i had them on my 06 pontiac gto.... personally didnt like the sound... but i had no drone... so if you want a performance exhaust with NO drone... than corsa will be a good choice... one bad thing is they dont make it in a 3" kit.. only 2.5"... one other reason why i didnt go that route with my camaro...
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I had the Corsa resonators removed and the xo-pipe assy modified with straight pipes to be just like the LS3 system. On my L99 car. I have no drone, with headers and HF Cats. Cruising down the highway at 60 to 75 mph is Quiet. It is amazingly quiet considering I have headers. I think it is in the mufflers, that control the Corsa's no drone design.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
ls3, supercharger, kooks long tubes, high flow kooks convertors, no resonators, corsa from the convertors back and no drone. I what to gut my convertors for a little more exhaust noise. never heard of drone in any combination with the corsa!
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Ditto - corsa has zero drone. cruising at 70 it has a nice quiet tone even with a blower, headers, and gutted cats. The only time corsa is loud is when you stomp on it, then it's loud. wouldn't go with any other exhaust system.
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
You should be drone free with any Corsa set up but don't forget about the Solo mach XL system too. Anther great drone free option.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
You should be drone free with any Corsa set up but don't forget about the Solo mach XL system too. Anther great drone free option.
Definitely need those J pipes.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
My Corsa is 100% drone free.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Ok, so I put the Corsa catback on with my Solo High Flo Cats, and I hate it. Sounds great wide open, really screams, but on start up and just normal driving I think it sounds horrible. To me it sounds like an old V8 junker that the muffler fell off.

In my garage on start up, you'd swear I was starting an old demo derby car.

But on the good side, zero drone. So I basically have a drone free cat back that sounds like crap. Any suggestions? I'm leaving the tuning stock on this car so no LT's.

Would shorties change the sound to a better V8 tuned sound? Or would it be the same crappy sound, just louder? With the high flows and this Corsa, it is already pretty loud, louder than I thought the Corsa would be.

Plan B would be sell the Corsa at a loss and just go back to a stock catback and high flows. I really like that sound, but hate the look and weight. Plus, my stock catback I think has a broken baffle, so I'd have to try to get a new one under warranty or find a take off. The high flows seem to have increased the backfiring and I think that busted one of the stock mufflers internals.

Any thoughts? Shorties - if that will improve the sound, or will it just make the nasty Corsa rasp louder. Or back to the stock catback. I think the H in that stock catback gives it more of a traditional muscle car sounds. Or maybe .... high flows... stock H.... stock resonators.... then an axleback? The trick there would be finding axlebacks that I know would not drone with the high flows. Which is why I went Corsa, no drone.... but just sounds like crap.

Any thoughts, much appreciated.

Cheap Corsa F/S, 10 miles......
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote