Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Todd TCE

Drives: Wells Coyote
TCE/Wilwood Bakes for 15" Drag Race Wheels

Having been told my posts in anther thread about alternate brake kit options for Drag Racing applications were in violation of forum policy I was instructed to move it to my own thread. So we'll revisit the topic all over again.

Reprinted from before with minor edit:

I'd like to let everyone know that today we shipped out the first of the TCE rear drag "big brake" kits!

I want to say that another company has done an outstanding job of producing a kit for those who desire such a product, I have no desire to replicate someone else's work. It looks stellar and I'm sure it will be a great package. But after speaking with a few folks both on and off the forum it became clear that there was a need/want for a system less 'dramatic', more streetable and more dual-purpose. To that end I feel we've achieved that in this new kit. The Wilwood DynaPro calipers offer great fit, pad selection and looks!

And the fact that the TCE kit does not include or make provisions for the lower control arm changes any buyers will still need to out source these items. TCE specializes in brake only and our desire was to provide a braking system for the rear only and leave the other items to those who do it best. Having worked with Rich Bogart on the Charger/Challenger kits we took much the same data and simply applied it here.

Moving onto the kit....this new kit has one advantage not found on any other kit; we retain the factory parking brake. That one element alone has been key in the success of our rear kit for the Charger/Challenger also for owners looking to down size to 15s. This new kit doesn't disappoint; fully functional parking brake. We also prefer not to run a solid rotor for use on the street. While ultra light weight parts are great for dedicated drag use they can prove to be much too light for the daily driver and lack proper heat sink capability as well as being over stressed in repeated hard stopping environments. In this case we forgo the lighter weight for cross app durability. And as would be the case with any TCE product; you can be certain the design is properly spec'd for the application and there will be no need for further items like master cylinders or proportioning valves etc.

Again; this set up will not only allow you to retain the parking brake but make it fully suited to daily driver use and even the occasional road course blast (with proper pad). And of course you can remove it and replace it with your stock parts in a matter of minutes (should you need to return your lease...!) without any need for extensive work.

The complete TCE kit will includes: one piece vented rotors, radial mount dynapro calipers, mounting brackets, modified rear knuckles, pads, hoses and necessary hardware. Full blown kits are available for $1495. But for those looking to save some money and have a bit of time..TCE will offer to modify your existing parts thus lowering the final cost do only $1119 plus shipping.

With the first kit in service now it was reported that fit and finish were spot on and functionality on the road (17" wheels) was the same or even better than stock. The vehicle is awaiting new 15" wheels fit- which should be this week.

All said, buyers have a couple of options for the Camaro and I'm sure there's something for everyone.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 11-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Todd TCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Thats pretty cool, now the only question is what else is NEEDED to install the 15" wheel? I am interested in how you guys will do it... is it going to be JUST a custom control arm? You guys have the right idea, I would love to do this one day if it does not take any exstensive suspension work. I would love to keep it as simple as possible.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Todd TCE

With regard to the fit of 15" wheels it is my understanding that there are issues with the lower control arm ends as well as the size of the aluminum 'boss' on the knuckle. The knuckle can be end user modified with some hand work and a coarse file I suspect-- admittedly not done personally, and the arms from some other suppliers may well clear the barrel diameter of the wheel. I'm going to look at our mill work mods and see if we can easily include the knuckle casting fix.

I have to confess that I really have little interest in doing the control arms. Despite that I can assure you it's not out of the question to do them. I'd simply rather concentrate on the areas of the car that I specialize in and let others do the same. If this becomes so much an issue that we lose potential buyers I'll pull out the stops and just do it. But I'm more than happy to refer this need to others.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Todd TCE

Due to the fact that installation has to include the modification to the rear knuckle there are some options as to how we go about offering this.

Mill work is required to the existing casting to allow fit for our radial bracket. This mill work does not effect the ability to re install your stock brakes later as mentioned above. However with varying degrees of age on the cars TCE has opted to not offer this kit with a "core" charge option. Meaning we will not be offering a knuckle swap. The primary reason being discussion and possible complaint on the degree to which the bushings or casting are wearing. Nobody wants to get someone else's worn out parts. And because the price is nice on new ones that's the only way TCE will offer them for sale.

Each kit sold will require either the purchase or working of your aluminum knuckles which will be returned to you. *See pricing options for the costs related to this and other options.

We are also going to begin the production run of brackets in the next couple days. For any interested buyers please see our thread in the Vendor Section with regard to price and the introductory promo on this kit.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
My stuff is on the way to you guys. Should see it soon. Can't wait
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Todd TCE

That's two sets to be worked on now. Hoping we might pick up a couple more with the special pricing deal. After this run and the initial sets are in service there won't be any more offers like it...so....

Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Todd TCE

We have two rear kits in the works at this time. Hoping to get the knuckles to the mill early next week. Anyone else out there that's looking to get in on this please contact me soon. I'd really like to run all this at one time.

***Keep in mind that the use of 15" wheels is NOT required at this time to do the rear kit. You can certainly do it 'in stages' and keep your stock wheels for now. In fact...I might argue that the TCE Rear Drag kit is in some ways an improvement to those of you running the non Brembo brake now given their four pot performance. Either way, Brembos included you'd have ample street performance and not be hit with full cost conversion at one time.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Todd TCE

Two rear kits wrapped up today. Finally...!

Working with another shop for your lower control arm needs as well. As said before; I won't be producing or offering them but hope to be able to recommend one or two shops to supply these items to those who purchase the Rear Drag Kit.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Todd TCE

Just an update: TCE has one set of machined/prepped rear knuckles now in stock for those folks who may choose to purchase our rear drag brake kit 'outright'. These are 100% factory GM parts with new bushings in them. Use you current bearings and backing plates for final assembly.

For those looking to save some money TCE will and has modified customer supplied rear knuckles. They are simply machined to the required spec and returned to you with your new caliper, brackets, hose kit and optional TCE supplied rotors. *Or we can modify the rotors for you as well.

A phone call or pm away if you have any questions.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
blackonblacksls

got my kit installed today..

Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Todd TCE

Nice!

If you're choosing to not run the parking brake assembly however that may effect the caliper centering on the rotor. Had no considered this was something someone might do....interesting angle. I'd need to make you up a plate for the bearing to replicate the former dust plate to fit between the bearing and knuckle.

Let me know if you want to explore that.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
blackonblacksls

Thanks for the heads up! I choose to not use it because the cables were cut lOng ago and never replaced. Just seemed like extra weight. I used the pad spacers to center the rotor. 2 on the inside none on the out. But if that won't work I think I'll just install the dust shield back on the car.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Todd TCE

While it'll work that way it's a bit risky. The side with the two spacers allows the pistons to come out possibly too far when the pad wears down. That could lead to a blown seal. So long as you don't wear then down all the way you'd be fine.

Without the parking brake we could also convert to 2pc hat and rotor at some point thus saving more weight.

If you don't mind the labor I'd be happy to set you up with the dust plate spacer. (how thick is it, about .090" or so?)
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
blackonblacksls

I'll pull the calipers out on give you a measurement when I get back to the shop. Thanks.