Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 03-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Robin Roberts To Drive Indy Pace Car

Robin Roberts To Drive Indy Pace Car

Robin Roberts Anchor Person for Good Mornina America, is the second woman driver in history to drive the Camaro Pace Car this year. She will have to be able to maintain speeds thru the corners up to 120mph. Elaine Irwin-Mellencamp, the wife of Indiana rocker John Mellencamp, became the first woman to drive it back in 2001.

This year's Pace Car features an Inferno Orange Metallic paint scheme with White Diamond rally stripes that travel from the front to the rear over the top of the body, as well as extending to the interior dash. The design is a modern interpretation of the original rally stripe that debuted on the 1969 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car. An RS appearance package and leather interior with Inferno Orange interior accents. It also features design cues that further enhance the Camaro's head-turning design. For a closer look, click here.

The 2010 Camaro was the 2009 Indy pace car as well. This will be the 6th time a Camaro has been a Pace Car: 1967 driven by Mauri Rose, 1969 driven by Jim Rathmann, 1982 driven by Jim Rathmann, 1993 driven by Jim Perkins, 2009 driven by Josh Duhamel, and now 2010.

WHO IS JIM RATHMANN?? Jim Rathmann (born Richard Rathmann July 16, 1928 from Alhambra, California) is a former American race car driver who won the Indianapolis 500 in 1960.

He drove in the AAA and USAC Championship Car series in the 1949-1950 and 1952-1963 seasons with 42 starts, including the Indianapolis 500 in each of those seasons. Rathmann also participated in the two runnings of the Race of Two Worlds at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Italy, winning the 1958 event. He had 6 victories in addition to his Indy 500 win. He also drove in 3 races in the NASCAR series from 1949-1951. He drove GM Indy Pace cars 6 times: More than anyone.

Since retiring, Rathmann has owned Chevrolet dealerships in Palm Bay and Melbourne, Florida. Mr. Rathmann is now retired from the car business. He is currently the oldest living winner of the Indy 500.

It was announced on February 20, 2007 that Rathmann will be inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America on August 15, 2007. The ceremony will take place in DetroiT
Mustang has been the pace car only twice; 1964 driven by Benson Ford, and again in 1979 driven by Jackie Stewart. The Dodge Challenger had the job in 1971, but driver and dealership owner Eldon Palmer lost control when in the pits, and slammed into a croud and hurt a bunch of poeple. The Challenger has not been asked to appear again!

Video of Eldon Palmer Crashing the 1971 Dodge Challenger

CAMARO PACE CARS AT INDY

1967 CAMARO PACE CAR

1969 CAMARO PACE CAR
[

1993 CAMARO PACE CAR

2009 CAMARO PACE CAR

Click Here to see More Pictures of the Camaro 2009 Indy Pace Car

2010 CAMARO INDY PACE CAR

2010 INDY CAMARO PACE CAR REVEALING

Hope you enjoy this

thanks
mike
dms

Last edited by Info@PeddersUSA.com; 03-27-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Red Rocker
I can't drive 55!

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 CRT
Congrats to her, but frankly, I haven't liked her since she was on ESPN. Way too cool for me when she was on there. Just like cool guy Stuart Scott. Happy that she beat her cancer, but really, who cares.

I'd rather see Drew Brees (Purdue) or Peyton drive it. How about Bobby Knight or Reggie Miller? Hell, I'll drive it if they ask. I only live an 1 1/2 hours away and don't need a hotel room, etc. since I can stay with a buddy in Plainfield.
Red Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
Congrats to her, but frankly, I haven't liked her since she was on ESPN. Way too cool for me when she was on there. Just like cool guy Stuart Scott. Happy that she beat her cancer, but really, who cares.

I'd rather see Drew Brees (Purdue) or Peyton drive it. How about Bobby Knight or Reggie Miller? Hell, I'll drive it if they ask. I only live an 1 1/2 hours away and don't need a hotel room, etc. since I can stay with a buddy in Plainfield.
I tried to find out how they select drivers and who some of the candidiates were. History has shown they ususally select retired drivers or serious auto Icons like Carol Shelby. But now who knows. Why would they select a Rock Star's wife? I do not know even if GM is the soal selector or is it the Indy guys

mike
dms
Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Red Rocker
I can't drive 55!

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I tried to find out how they select drivers and who some of the candidiates were. History has shown they ususally select retired drivers or serious auto Icons like Carol Shelby. But now who knows. Why would they select a Rock Star's wife? I do not know even if GM is the soal selector or is it the Indy guys

mike
dms
IRL/IMS selects the drivers.

Elaine drove the car because she and John are big fans of the IRL. She was also the official spokesperson of the IRL at the time and they knew Tony George since they live in Bloomington. Elaine was the official starter at the IRL race at Kentucky Speedway a few years ago too.

John is a good guy. Don't necessarily agree with his political leanings, but to each his own. I've met his brother Joe a few times. My friend's wife works for him. Joe's a good dude.
Red Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
cool
Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
IRL/IMS selects the drivers.

Elaine drove the car because she and John are big fans of the IRL. She was also the official spokesperson of the IRL at the time and they knew Tony George since they live in Bloomington. Elaine was the official starter at the IRL race at Kentucky Speedway a few years ago too.

John is a good guy. Don't necessarily agree with his political leanings, but to each his own. I've met his brother Joe a few times. My friend's wife works for him. Joe's a good dude.
thanks so much for sharing this. I did not know.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 03-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
sexy cars you have there
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Info@PeddersUSA.com

I am old enough to drive everyone of these cars as they appeared in the showrooms. I did my apprenticeship at a Chevrolet dealership. I became fairly well known for my Corvette and performance skills way back when cars were fantastically fast as long as you went straight. LOL

The Camaros now are 100 times better than the Camaros of the past. Seriously more hp, seriously more fuel economy, seriously better braking, seriously better tailpipe emissions, seriously better safety. The only negative is the seriously greater price tag. A 1967 pace car was under $5k.

But now that same pace car can be nearly $100k

Camaros are sweet! There is no way around it.

mike
dms