Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
Onstar....a spy???? please comment

SOUNDS LIKE BS TO ME WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Ever since the Model T hit the silver screen, evading the long arm of the law has been a cinematic theme. From the General Lee outrunning Boss Hogg, to Smokey being outwitted by Burt Reynolds' mustache, the public imagination has always associated fast cars with police pursuit. While the majority of motorists would never dream of trying to outrun the long arm of the law, soon, they won't have to. It'll be resting on their shoulder. Consider OnStar…

OnStar is a telemetry system providing a central data bank with real-time data on virtually every system in your car, including GPS. OnStar's computer knows where you were, when you were there, and how fast you went. It knows if and when you applied the brakes, if and when the air bags deployed, and what speed you were going at the time. It knows if and when your car was serviced.

OnStar operators can determine if you have a passenger in the front seat (airbag detection). All interactions with OnStar's operators are automatically recorded (hence the commercials). By the same token, under certain conditions, OnStar can switch on your GM car's microphone remotely and record any and all sounds within the vehicle (i.e. conversations). But wait, there's more…

As of 2009, customers who upgrade to OnStar's "Safe & Sound" plan automatically receive the "Stolen Vehicle Slowdown" service. (Yes, it's an "opt out" deal.) If the OnStar-equipped vehicle is reported stolen and law enforcement has "established a clear line of sight of the stolen vehicle," the police may ask OnStar to slow it down remotely.

Many customers find OnStar immensely reassuring; their guardian e-angel. No question: OnStar has saved lives and provided its customers with valuable services. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in business. But what if…

The police are investigating a crime. They ask OnStar where your car was on a certain date and time, to corroborate an alibi. Or what if you're in a crash and the other guy's attorney would like to know how fast you were driving when you ran the red light? Would OnStar surrender the information? "OnStar is required to locate the car to comply with legal requirements, including valid court orders showing probable cause in criminal investigations." And OnStar may use gathered information to "protect the rights, property, or safety of you or others."

Imagine the following scenario. The FBI shows up at OnStar master command and tells them your car's been stolen by a terrorist, who may be using it to commit a crime at this very moment. Contacting the owner is out of the question; the owner may also be a terrorist. What does OnStar do? They cooperate with the FBI and give them everything they've got on your car. No warrant needed and no notification to you. Hell, you may not even have the service enabled.

In other words, you not only have to trust OnStar to protect your privacy, you have to trust the police not to ask the questions in the first place.

The Constitution of the United States protects us from the heavy hand of government. However, when it comes to protection from private entities, it does little. Into this void, multiple privacy laws have entered, creating a farrago of local, state, and federal laws which provide limited and haphazard protection to citizens. Whatever privacy protection these laws provide are usually nullified when companies violate them in "good faith" (e.g. while assisting the authorities.)

So who is going to stop the government from monitoring your car? The Bill of Rights protects you from an unreasonable search and seizure; the government can not take what belongs to you without a warrant. OnStar can owns the information they collect about your car. In short, there is nothing to stop the police or OnStar from using the information you paid for against you.

And the next step is even more insidious. Imagine GPS speed limiters which only allow you to go the speed limit based upon a map uploaded into your car's navigation system. Now Sammy Hagar will only be driving 55 no matter how hard he stomps on the go pedal. This is the ultimate assault on pistonheads. The only place where driving will be fun will be on the track– if OnStar and/or the car's manufacturer (e.g. the Japanese GT-R) let you.

There's only one sensible response to this trend: boycott vehicles equipped with OnStar, even if you don't sign up for the service. (Remember: it can be remotely enabled.) If customers actively avoid vehicles that spy on them, manufacturers will have to stop installing the monitoring software and hardware. And law enforcement agencies and prosecutors will have to get their information and apprehend criminals the old-fashioned way: through legally-sanctioned police work. In short, I don't buy OnStar, and neither should you.

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Don't run red lights or use your camaro for a car bomb. problem solved.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Haha, there is no doubt that onstar has saved some lives but overall I think this is Big Brother at work. Wait till we all have to have a chip in our wrists just to trade or purchase stuff. Its coming, dont deny it!!! Im not digging the idea of Big Brother at all!!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
that's why i'm entering RPO code UE0. it deletes the OnStar equipment
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
that's why i'm entering RPO code UE0. it deletes the OnStar equipment

Is that a fact? If so do you get a rebate?

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Haha, there is no doubt that onstar has saved some lives but overall I think this is Big Brother at work. Wait till we all have to have a chip in our wrists just to trade or purchase stuff. Its coming, dont deny it!!! Im not digging the idea of Big Brother at all!!

What is this ridiculous picture—some sort of Jews controlling American conspiracy? Don't promote that nonsense here.

Seriously, if you're hiding from the government, then you're probably doing something wrong. I don't like the idea of government spying on civilians. OnStar should require a warrant for any such activity to protect the rights of citizens.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
Is that a fact? If so do you get a rebate?
member 99b4c mentioned being able to order it on 09 models in this thread. i would imagine it will still work. rebate? no clue.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
What is this ridiculous picture—some sort of Jews controlling American conspiracy? Don't promote that nonsense here.

Seriously, if you're hiding from the government, then you're probably doing something wrong. I don't like the idea of government spying on civilians. OnStar should require a warrant for any such activity to protect the rights of citizens.
Cool your jets The_Blur!

Firstly, Im not promoting anything, but do believe the BBrother sly tactics are at play here, and will subtly enter into our lives almost stealth like.

Second I hide from no one and I try to do no wrong!!

I, like you, want to protect my rights as a citizen. But people need to get educate themselves about whats going on.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Cool your jets The_Blur!

Firstly, Im not promoting anything, but do believe the BBrother sly tactics are at play here, and will subtly enter into our lives almost stealth like.

Second I hide from no one and I try to do no wrong!!

I, like you, want to protect my rights as a citizen. But people need to get educate themselves about whats going on.
Citizens need to know their rights and some of the technology that can be used against them. It's scary sometimes.

I'm very sensitive to stereotyping and scapegoating. It tends to create unnecessary conflict. I don't like associating a whole group of people with something, like a conspiracy. When I saw the Star of David in association with the symbols on the dollar, I thought, "That's a stretch!"
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
It's plausible but not practical. They don't monitor your car every moment. Imagine the computing power needed to store that much data! And no your cars computer does not store GPS information.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
hehehe...spies....

No worries here. Even if this is some sort of grand conspiracy...OnStar is too valuable to me: I won't jeopardize mine + my families safety (or potential safety...) because I'm afraid the government's watching me....

*dons tin-foil hat*
Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I really don't plan on doing anything illegal in my car besides going a few over the speed limit.

But for others that drink and drive, or a hit and run, or put bombs in thier cars, kill myself or a friend i think onstar should beable to tell the police how fast the car was going, and where it was, where it went. etc.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
and I thought my conspiracy theories were bunk.

Also what's with the star of david? I'm with blur on this one...an explanation please sir.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #14
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Citizens need to know their rights and some of the technology that can be used against them. It's scary sometimes.

I'm very sensitive to stereotyping and scapegoating. It tends to create unnecessary conflict. I don't like associating a whole group of people with something, like a conspiracy. When I saw the Star of David in association with the symbols on the dollar, I thought, "That's a stretch!"
No problem The_Blur. If you do some research into the pic, its actually about the Illuminati. You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes!