Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
So I ended doing just that. I actually started out that direction, but once the keyblank rivet was removed, the blank still wouldn't budge. I finally had to mount it in a vice and pull on the blank with vice grips!

In the end, this is a great update on the cheap. If you see the remotes in stock, get them. You won't be sorry.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:02 PM   #16
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
I'm not understanding why the size of the button matters? Are you guys trying to swap out the entire metal switchblade assembly? Can't you just pop out the roll pin and swap out the actual keys?
Don't know why I didn't think of that...ah well. Live and learn. Now I have 4 cut keys. No biggee I guess.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
I just did mine, this new FOB is SOOOO much nicer. Thanks OP for sharing this. I can’t believe how cheap these are, I would’ve paid a lot more. lol It even came with a new chevy emblem/sticker for the hidden screw in the back.

Btw, there was only one issue that I ran into that wasn’t mentioned. Maybe this was common knowledge for the rest of you? Anyway… after I got it back together, they key wouldn’t spring out into the locked position after pressing the button. I took it back apart and discovered that you have to wind the spring. To do this, just loosely assemble the key mechanism and the case with the key open and then spin the back part of the case with the spring attached one full turn (counterclockwise I think) before you snap it all together. Works like a charm now.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
Panda1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE (6spd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
I just did mine, this new FOB is SOOOO much nicer. Thanks OP for sharing this. I can’t believe how cheap these are, I would’ve paid a lot more. lol It even came with a new chevy emblem/sticker for the hidden screw in the back.

Btw, there was only one issue that I ran into that wasn’t mentioned. Maybe this was common knowledge for the rest of you? Anyway… after I got it back together, they key wouldn’t spring out into the locked position after pressing the button. I took it back apart and discovered that you have to wind the spring. To do this, just loosely assemble the key mechanism and the case with the key open and then spin the back part of the case with the spring attached one full turn (counterclockwise I think) before you snap it all together. Works like a charm now.
i did this mod after watching OP post it on youtube. Everything was great until I found the same issue. My key wouldn't spring out anymore. OP suggested I watch CamaroTime video on the process. Took it back apart as well and winded it up and now all is well. I bought the 5 button wanting the 4 button but not really a big deal other than my trunk button is now between the new trunk button and remote start. Have to press it in a semi awkward spot. Still loving it though. And yes, you spin it with the spring counter clockwise.

CAI intake, Stainless Power LTH, SCT X4, NPP exhaust
Panda1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #19
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
btw thanks everyone who contributed to this post, it was very easy to follow and i actually just did the same on my old/spare FOB. had the dealer cut the key blank and i was good to go!

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda1LE View Post
i did this mod after watching OP post it on youtube. Everything was great until I found the same issue. My key wouldn't spring out anymore. OP suggested I watch CamaroTime video on the process. Took it back apart as well and winded it up and now all is well. I bought the 5 button wanting the 4 button but not really a big deal other than my trunk button is now between the new trunk button and remote start. Have to press it in a semi awkward spot. Still loving it though. And yes, you spin it with the spring counter clockwise.
This is the one you were referring to?
Old 07-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #21
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I'm in. Mine has the recall and I hate the cheap key they replaced the switch blade with. It's embarrassing.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #22
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
I dismantled my original fob and put the guts into the new fob. Now when I press the unlock button, the trunk pops open and the horn chirps. I had to use my back up fob until I can sort this out.

Does anyone know what’s going on and how I can fix this? The circuit board looks fine and I didn’t damage it.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #23
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
ordered 2. I didn't read the whole thread when I ordered. I got all excited and ordered them after watching the video. thx for the install tips guys, that will save me some time once I get the new fobs.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #24
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
I dismantled my original fob and put the guts into the new fob. Now when I press the unlock button, the trunk pops open and the horn chirps. I had to use my back up fob until I can sort this out.

Does anyone know what’s going on and how I can fix this? The circuit board looks fine and I didn’t damage it.
If you got the new mod fob you probably did not get the insides lined up just right. SO when you press 1 button it is actually hitting more than 1
Old 07-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #25
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'm in. Mine has the recall and I hate the cheap key they replaced the switch blade with. It's embarrassing.

I "un-recalled" mine. Pretty easy to do with the correct size roll pin!
Attached Images

ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #26
NXTLEVL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Twin Turbo LSX454
I just did this. It took 30 minutes and required a file. The position of the pin cutout on my metal key blank was off by about 2mm which was enough to stop the pin from going through when I was swapping the keys. Everything else in the linked YouTube video was spot on. Two turns counterclockwise was perfect for the amount of spring action I wanted when the key comes out. Oh, and the correct punch size is 6mm.

Last edited by NXTLEVL; 07-31-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added info
NXTLEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #27
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Those of you that have done this, was the bowtie decal included to cover up the screw? Mine just has a black piece of tape over it. Nothing else in bag.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #28
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Those of you that have done this, was the bowtie decal included to cover up the screw? Mine just has a black piece of tape over it. Nothing else in bag.

Mine came with the bowtie.