Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #43
Jer4251
Camaro Addict

Drives: too many
I've always liked the rough riding cars. Always lowering my camaros. It's not all about speed for me. I want something that stand out. Gets looks. And won't pass on my sunday cruise. No even close to a daily driver. Maybe one ride or 2 a month. Garage queen. Maybe a track queen too. Always wanted to race my ZL1 but the drop top makes it more difficult. I think the viper will grab the most attention. I've never sat in one. I'm 31 and dealers really never take me serious at first. They wouldn't let me drive the ZL1 . And have been told no driving the Z28. I wonder if the viper is the same way. One here in town is a 14 with 25 miles on it. Someone drove it. They want 88k. Sticker is 98k.
1992 Z28 Z03 L98
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2
1997 Z28 Z4C
1995 Z28
Jer4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #44
mdntmank

Drives: ADM TUNED AND BUILT
mod the z save some cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer4251 View Post
It might not be within reach at the moment, but I was thinking about a hellcat challenger, then thought to myself, why stop there. how about a SRT Viper??? they start at $84k. and I wont pass another one everytime I take my car for a sunday drive.

anyone have experience with the new Viper? I still have other Camaros, just wont have a 5th gen anymore. and im not liking the 6th gen very much.
Mod the z save some cash take to Adm or who ever and enjoy the ride is all I can say.....
mdntmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #45
Jer4251
Camaro Addict

Drives: too many
I'm wanting to get into another hardtop. Convertible is holding me back from doing the type of racing I've always wanted to do.
1992 Z28 Z03 L98
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2
1997 Z28 Z4C
1995 Z28
Jer4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #46
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G7C ZL1 View Post
The really impressive thing about the GTR is that nearly anyone can make consistent launches, 1/4 mile times, and lap times; including those whose skill is actually less than their own estimation.
All computers.....no driver skill needed...I've seen a few on track.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #47
99frc

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Drove a gen V a couple of weeks ago and could not have been more impressed with it. It was fast, comfortable, loud and obnoxious. I loved it.

That said, it wouldn't be the car for me. I want a four seater to enjoy with my wife and kids, thus my interest in the ZL1. However, if I was after a two seater in that price range , it would be Z06. There is still an awe factor every time I see one.
99frc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #48
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
All computers.....no driver skill needed...I've seen a few on track.
Tell that too the auto ZL1 guys I'm sure they'll love you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #49
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Unless your car is modded, you could hang with the Viper T/A only because he let you hang with him.

Stock vs stock, a TA will run away and hide from our cars with equal drivers in the cockpits.
You would think and that would be my first thought, but that was the 4th time I had tracked my car and first time at that track.(MSR in Houston 2.3mi) Hence the reason why I have an instructor riding in the front seat with me. I freely admit I am a novice at best when it comes to tracking, though I have been told I am rather enthusiastic.

The only mods to my car at that time was a Rotofab and a new set of Michelin PSS tires.

The instructor knew the the driver of the Viper as an experienced/regular driver at that track and was surprised that I was able to stay with him. It was also the first time he had sat in a ZL1. His ride was a 350Z.

Now was the Viper driver pushing his car as hard as he could? I can't answer for him, but from my perspective he sure as hell wasn't driving Miss Daisy. And it was truly a blast staying with him.

I have already said the Viper is a better car than the ZL1, but it should be for twice the cost. However, from my observation and for twice the cost it did not dominate the ZL1.

The only car that truly dominated me that day was a paper tag Porsche GT3. That thing.. WOW! you talk about performance, that car is truly epic.

My 2 cents..
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #50
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
You would think and that would be my first thought, but that was the 4th time I had tracked my car and first time at that track.(MSR in Houston 2.3mi) Hence the reason why I have an instructor riding in the front seat with me. I freely admit I am a novice at best when it comes to tracking, though I have been told I am rather enthusiastic.

The only mods to my car at that time was a Rotofab and a new set of Michelin PSS tires.

The instructor knew the the driver of the Viper as an experienced/regular driver at that track and was surprised that I was able to stay with him. It was also the first time he had sat in a ZL1. His ride was a 350Z.

Now was the Viper driver pushing his car as hard as he could? I can't answer for him, but from my perspective he sure as hell wasn't driving Miss Daisy. And it was truly a blast staying with him.

I have already said the Viper is a better car than the ZL1, but it should be for twice the cost. However, from my observation and for twice the cost it did not dominate the ZL1.

The only car that truly dominated me that day was a paper tag Porsche GT3. That thing.. WOW! you talk about performance, that car is truly epic.

My 2 cents..
Good post but I would like to disagree that the viper is a better car.
In what way is it better. Handling? Comfort? I would say certainly not.
The one thing it has is power, other then that I think anybody with a sane mind would agree that the ZL1 is the better car. Do some pulley swaps, full exhaust, cam and the regular bolt ons for minimal money and then go back out on that track. You'll soon change your opinion of that viper.
One thing is certain the viper is the better looking car but doesn't make it a better car by a long shot.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #51
BriteCrawler

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I've owned multiple and an SRT-10 Ram. I like the gen V.

Obviously it's a Viper, be prepared to discuss it at every fuel stop. Everyone has a brother's - room mate's - cousin's - tutor's - husband that owns one, and they'll tell you about it.

You either get driving the car or not. They're not particularly comfortable (stiff, hot, noisy), the V10 drones and is expensive to mod or repair, visibility isn't good, and it's not the easiest to get in and out of. Real world, I saw 9 - 10MPG. They admittedly don't have the tech wizardry of the (enormously boring) GT-R.

Still one of the funnest things I've ever driven.
BriteCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #52
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
Do some pulley swaps, full exhaust, cam and the regular bolt ons for minimal money and then go back out on that track. You'll soon change your opinion of that viper.
Thanks,

I still have not added additional power to my car, but I have improved the cooling and handling. I still enjoy the fact that I have a full warranty on the engine and drivetrain.

The Detroit Speed Front and Rear sway bars are a very noticeable improvement. And I have a Ron Davis LSA heat exchanger and D3 1/2 gallon SC coolant reservoir(all purchased from JDP!!!) with water wetter and my IAT's stay rock solid.

You are absolutely right about the mods, for minimal cost you can make the ZL1 run with just about anything. I may add more power over the summer.. We'll see. Would really like to get some PFadt Tri-Y headers when they become available again for the ZL1.

The one thing I would hesitate on upgrades for track use is a cam. Running WOT for an extended period of time with a different cam can be detrimental to the engine from other people I have talked with.. but who knows.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #53
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
The Viper (was a Gen IV or V?) is almost 1000 lbs lighter, has at least 20 HP more (if a Gen IV) or 60 HP (if a Gen V), equal or better brakes, a track suspension, bigger tires, and more torque.

Stock vs Stock with equal drivers, a Viper will dominate a ZL1 on a track - period.

Sure, mod the hell out of most anything and you will pass the stock Viper. They are not invincible. But stock vs stock, a Gen IV or V Viper will run away from a ZL1.

I'm not doubting the story that you could hang with him because our cars are awesome cars. But simple physics cannot be denied and nearly a half ton more weight with less horsepower in a ZL1 and the Viper's aero, stock vs stock is not a fair race with equal drivers.

You did a great job hanging with a very tough car!
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #54
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
In what way is it better. Handling? Comfort? I would say certainly not.
The one thing it has is power, other then that I think anybody with a sane mind would agree that the ZL1 is the better car. Do some pulley swaps, full exhaust, cam and the regular bolt ons for minimal money and then go back out on that track. You'll soon change your opinion of that viper.
One thing is certain the viper is the better looking car but doesn't make it a better car by a long shot.

I've seen many 2000hp vipers, how many 2000 hp ZL-1s have you seen. And for that past post come on. Even GTR guys knows that a stock gen 5 will rape a stock GTR in a 1/4.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 AM   #55
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I've seen many 2000hp vipers, how many 2000 hp ZL-1s have you seen. And for that past post come on. Even GTR guys knows that a stock gen 5 will rape a stock GTR in a 1/4.

Wow dumbest post on this thread to date. Lol, congratulations!
Who the hell cares or is talking about modded vipers, camaros, or anything else for that matter.
And do a little research before you blab your mouth, the GTR beats a 640 hp Gen.V by a half a second in the quarter.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #56
TobysZL1

Here I'll make it easy for you.
Attached Images