Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
joedaddy

Drives: 2013 zl1 camaro convert silver ice
rotofab install

I just installed the roto fab cai this weekend and I had a few thoughts about the problem everybody has removing the breather canister from the original intake. I carefully got mine out ok but it was time consuming and a pain in the butt. So I thought how nice would it be to just go buy the breather canister instead of batteling getting the original one out. Unfortunately you cannot just buy the cannister you have to buy the flexible tube with the cannister mounted to it for the price of $98. I guess its good to know you can do that if you break your cannister during removal but I don't know if I would spend the money to get the tube with the cannister in it and cut the breather out of the new tube for the sake of convenience. To bad you couldn't just get the cannister... it would make the install so much nicer! Nice job on the fit and finnish on the roto-fab. Still snow here in chedderland so I cant even test her out yet.
joedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I agree that the breather cannister was the most difficult part of the intall. I just ended up cutting the metal band apart and slicing a small slit in the rubber. I figure when (if) I need to go back to stock, I will just use a hose clamp to reconnect them.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
wouldn't it be great if Roto-fab could offer the breather cannister as an option?

I just used a cut-off wheel in a dremel tool to cut the silver clamp, then used some dish soap to help lube the rubber and pulled the breather free with a lot of elbow grease without cutting the rubber boot. This way If I ever want/need to restore it back to stock, I can still re-use the stock elbow.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Now you understand what mechanics go through every day! In my installation it was not difficult removing the canister it's just time consuming. If you plan on modding your car be prepared for a bit of extra labor to get it done right. Especially with aftermarket parts. The kit is just fine shipped as it is, why do I need a canister when I can just re-use the stock piece. My car has been to two different dealers and neither said squat about the Roto-Fab installed. You do not need to remove it when going to the dealer for warranty work. Mod your ECU and try and re-flash it and that is a sure denial of warranty service.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
wouldn't it be great if Roto-fab could offer the breather cannister as an option?

I just used a cut-off wheel in a dremel tool to cut the silver clamp, then used some dish soap to help lube the rubber and pulled the breather free with a lot of elbow grease without cutting the rubber boot. This way If I ever want/need to restore it back to stock, I can still re-use the stock elbow.

Sounds familiar as I used diagonal pliers and Dawn dish soap on mine! It is tight and needs a bit of strength to remove! I have stored my stock air box in my garage. No need to return it to stock, the dealers won't sweat you regarding warranty work on a Roto-Fab installed on the ZL1.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I'm not concerned about returning it to stock for warranty work, it was in case I decided to sell the car at some point in case the buyer preferred it stock or at least with all the stock parts included.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
starhutch
THE RED ROCKER

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR
I tossed a few expletives this past weekend as I completed mine during this part of the install as well. My wife sat by in amazement as I grappled with this big piece of rubber in my arms...got the "you are stupid" look.
starhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
mechanic1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
just came in from testing my new ROTOFAB CAI.............excellent.......all in all , a well designed and laid out package.......yes, the breather is tight, but a squirt of oil and a strong grip does the trick........instructions are good, as is are the photos...........love the sound and the power increase.........at first I was worried about breaking a sensor or connector, but if you really READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and take your time, your fine
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Install can be a but time consuming, but if you take your time and be careful, it should go on without issue. As always, I am happy to answer questions, so if you get in a bind, feel free to call, PM or email me anytime!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote