Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking "Weak" vs "Strong" Camaro SS MAF Sensors

GM uses two supplier for Camaro SS MAF sensors. The simple explanation is that "weak" sensors from one of the suppliers are not showing the same resistance levels as the "strong" sensors from the other. Both work fine when the car remains stock but when additional airflow is introduced the "weak" sensor can start to become a problem.

The MAF sensors that have been identified as "weak" read 1560-1670HZ at idle with the A/C off while a "strong" MAF reads at 1800MHZ. During on road, light throttle input the MHZ are slow and weak in response to throttle changes which causes hesitation, throttle lag, and poor driveability. At wide open throttle the "weak" MAF shows 120-170MHZ lower than the 8600MHZ the "strong" MAF sensors will show on the same car. Depending on what intake modifications are made the fuel trim with a "weak" MAF can range from -25% on the high end to -3% with just a simple aftermarket panel replacement filter.

So what kind of performance issues will a "weak" MAF sensor present? Slow throttle response, low RPM bunking and surging, choppy idle, bogging when downshifting or applying quick heavy throttle inputs, and more. The good news is that all you have to do is pull the "weak" sensor and install a "strong" sensor and within seconds fuel trim is back to 0% and MHZ are back to 1800+. This will instantly change the personality of a car as was demonstrated in the threads below.

Issue SOLVED strong MAF

Strong MAF sensor. Believe the hype

How can I tell if my MAF is "weak" or "strong"?

It is very simple. Remove the MAF sensor from your intake tube and take a look at the code inside the indented window. Any single letter MAF is "weak" and any MAF that features a letter followed by a number like the one in the picture below is "strong".

Setting things straight

There are two points of confusion that seem to constantly come up when this topic is discussed:

1) This is a hardware issue with the MAF sensor and not a tune issue. The issue can not be corrected with a tune.

2) The "weak" sensors function just fine and are within OEM tolerances when the car remains in the stock configuration. Once additional air flow is introduced due to modifications is when problems arise. Because of that it is not something that GM will replace under warranty.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 12-31-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
JJKJ

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Thanks for the informative post. K8 on mine so it is good. Your write-ups on the commonly asked questions have been a great read and highly appreciated.
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
Thanks for the informative post. K8 on mine so it is good. Your write-ups on the commonly asked questions have been a great read and highly appreciated.
I agree!! Chase your write ups are very helpful for all of us. Thanks for all the knowledge you share with us!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
I agree!! Chase your write ups are very helpful for all of us. Thanks for all the knowledge you share with us!
No problem, that is what I am here for. I am glad that you guys find them helpful.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
NJIOMSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Hey Chase, thanks for getting this type of information out there for us. I just looked and found a single letter "L" on mine so I now have to replace mine before my tune.

Do you know if there are multiple GM part numbers for the MAF sensor? Will one denote a "strong" vs a "weak" MAF sensor? From what I've read on this forum only the single letter denotes the type of sensor, "weak", correct? But are there multiple part numbers from GM for the MAF sensor? Thanks
NJIOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJIOMSS View Post
Hey Chase, thanks for getting this type of information out there for us. I just looked and found a single letter "L" on mine so I now have to replace mine before my tune.

Do you know if there are multiple GM part numbers for the MAF sensor? Will one denote a "strong" vs a "weak" MAF sensor? From what I've read on this forum only the single letter denotes the type of sensor, "weak", correct? But are there multiple part numbers from GM for the MAF sensor? Thanks
No, one part number but they have two suppliers making them. The only way to tell them apart is the method above. We keep "strong" sensors around so you can give us a shout if you need one.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
NJIOMSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Thanks again for the info Chase.
NJIOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Mine is weak.....damn it
Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
RED HT5
HEADTURNER™®©COTW 12/9/13

Drives: WHITE SS
How much for the strong MAF to 91331??
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2017 1LE
can you send me a PM to 19962
Twoblindsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED HT5 View Post
How much for the strong MAF to 91331??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoblindsheep View Post
can you send me a PM to 19962
PMs sent.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Godon Hutchinson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Imperial Blue Metallic
PM how much to 25704
Godon Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godon Hutchinson View Post
PM how much to 25704
PM sent
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT

Drives: 2011 2SS
I'm currently deployed overseas and was talkin' to my buddy that is starting my car up every week for me and I had him pull my MAF sensor to check for a week one and indeed he pulled out one with a singular letter on it.

He told me this:
"it looks like it was printed with an X at the factory but then it look like some one tried putting an S over it with a knife or something"

Talked to Chase already and got the hook up... However just curious about the markings my buddy stated, he couldnt get me a picture with his camera phone. Any ideas? lol
Hurst Short-Shifter; Ideal Garage Master Cylinder
H-E Street Slayer Twin Billet Clutch
BMR: Adjustable; Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Extreme Sway Bar. BMR Subframe Bushings.
Strange Rear Coilovers and mounts
Tuned by Rhino79

Medi0cr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, bucking, maf, surging, weak