Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
moyn
M0yn

Drives: 2011 Camaro Inferno Orange Metallic
Headlights always staying on with car off

so, I noticed something odd happening with my car today. When i turned the car off, the headlights would stay on. even turning the light switch to off, while the car was off they would still stay on. I turned the car off, back on, Lights still stayed on. I drove the car for awhile, turned it off, headlights went off.
I thought odd, but whatever.

Kept driving home, parked car in garage, and noticed an hour later my headlights were still on. i could not turn them off until i pulled the negative off the battery. when i put negative back on, headlights went back on instantly. and i noticed arcing while putting negative back on. So i kept the battery disconnected for awhile. hooked back up, lights are off. Started the car to test and when i turned off the car, it would not turn off the lights again. i had to pull the negative off the battery once again. waited an hour, tested car off and on several times, things seem to be working ok again?

What could possible be causing this? i do have aftermarket HID, aftermarket alarm, all LED for turn signal, and side markers.

only odd thing that happened is i set the alarm off on accident before all this happened. i don't know why that would cause headlights to stay on, but it's the only off random thing that happened. headlights have been working great since i installed them over 6 years ago.
moyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
There is a feature that burns the lights in “dark” situations for a short length of time. This can be adjusted or disabled.

Is this what you are experiencing?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
moyn
M0yn

No, I would turn the car completely off, remove the key, walk away. And an hour later my lights were still on.
Not sure what you mean about the burn in setting
Old 10-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Try contacting the HID manufacturer and ask them
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
moyn
M0yn

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Try contacting the HID manufacturer and ask them

Not a bad idea, but this seems to be a power/wiring issues. I don’t know how or why it’s still getting power when the car is off. And why it’s also intermittent, not happening all the time
Old 10-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
camguynj

It’s probably the alarm wiring. Is the alarm wired to flash the lights when the alarm goes off?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
I’ve seen a lot of after market alarm systems cause a variety of problems. Hope it’s not your case, could be the in the lights themselves. Not knocking anyone but this is why I keep electrical items factory. Good luck my friend.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
moyn
M0yn

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
It’s probably the alarm wiring. Is the alarm wired to flash the lights when the alarm goes off?

Alarm does flash the lights, but I don’t think they flash the headlights when the alarm goes off. I’ve also set it off before in the past with no issues like this happening. The HID and alarm install were done years ago. Nothing has been changed.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyn View Post
Alarm does flash the lights, but I don’t think they flash the headlights when the alarm goes off. I’ve also set it off before in the past with no issues like this happening. The HID and alarm install were done years ago. Nothing has been changed.
Maybe the alarm needs to be "re-booted" to get HIDs in sync. Tripp the alarm (see how HIDs react) then turn alarm off. See if HIDs on or off. Then start car and turn off. See if HIDs turn off or remain on.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
If you have checked all the above suggestions, the cause may be in the BCM.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
moyn
M0yn

This must have been a one off for the day or something. Things seem to be working ok the past few days. Really weird how/why it happened.