Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
What do you think happened?

Okay so a couple months ago installed Kooks headers with hi flow cats, already had CAI cold air intake, Then got a remote tune. The day I did the tune. The car was wicked fast and throttle RESPONCE was incredible!
However, today finally took my boss for a ride, after telling him repeatedly that my car could hold up against his '15 mustang 5.0... On three separate opportunities to mash the pedal from a dead stop, the throttle RESPONCE was extremely disappointing. It acted as follows: stopped, turned off both nannies, mashed the pedal to the floor, tires did not even break loose, seemed to take time to get to full power, (not a cough or surge, but like it was slow to realize what I was doing) it took a second or three of before she woke up and went full throttle. Almost like the engine said, sorry didn't realize you were going to do that, but I see you are at full throttle, okay boys lets get her moving!
Only about 200 miles since, install of headers, cats and tune and always run Shell 93 octane.
Thoughts???
Can I download any data and send to the tuner, to diagnose and to make sure setting are still correct?

Last edited by Kens ss; 06-16-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Kens ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
nickiscoolerthancool

Drives: '14 Camaro SS - Airlift
Did you put it in track mode?
nickiscoolerthancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Kens ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickiscoolerthancool View Post
Did you put it in track mode?
2011 l99, no track mode option, just tuned off traction control and stabilitrack . By holding traction button 7 seconds as I do anytime I want to play. Both lights were displayed as being turned off. To clarify it was like a built up to full power, rather then NOW!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
nickiscoolerthancool

Drives: '14 Camaro SS - Airlift
Should have lost traction if you mashed on it, contact tuner!
nickiscoolerthancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Kens ss

Is it possible something in the valve train would act like this? Valve springs, push rods? The car still sounds healthy, and when she eventually decides to Reach full throttle, runs fast and heathy too.
Just a steady build up to full powere taking a second or three? Although she did not break tires free at a dead stop, the shift to second did beak them loose.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
I thought cats at first....but if it was ok in higher rpm that wouldnt make sense, only takes few minutes to check them though.
It is strange it changed, meaning it was better 200miles ago than now.

If it was tractio control nannies you can try to ABS fuses pull to eliminate that.

More likely in tuning than valvetrain.....does it have a miss at all? Loose plug wire etc?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Drivetrain wouldn't do that. I've had that happen when the car is stone cold, like its protecting itself because the oil isn't hot enough to flow everywhere yet. After the cam I always let her idle to 150 coolant temp and the oil temp gauge is starting to move. The car runs on a 5v reference, so all the sensors need to be in agreement for it to give full power. So if one of the +5 is off (accelerator pedal or Throttle body) the ECU says no Bueno. I suspect that's the stone cold issue as well, oil temp is too low, so the Ecu is holding back. If you have a scan tool with live view you should be able to see what your throttle pedal is doing and what the TB is giving you in return. Your car is the same age as mine and I just had to replace the TB because the internal resistors wore out and when it added the rising 0v to +5v to the dropping +5 to 0v it was coming up with more than +5v and I got a no bueno. I did the Accelerator pedal at the same time because they were the same age, just as a CYA. If you record live data and send it to the tuner he should be able to see all those parameters as well.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #8
Kens ss

Thank you for the replies...

No miss or rough idle condition.

Was warmed and drivin nearly 5 miles before I tried the launches. Was near 90 degrees outside, so warmer than when I first got the tune by perhaps 20 degrees, but that should not cause such a response.

Dyno Steve suggested I check the plugs anyway and maybe even reload the tune. I will investigate and test more this weekend.
Come to think of it, there was a few times since the tune where, I thought I smelled raw gas while driving, found no leaks, but maybe running too rich. I should see evidence when I check the plugs, I would think?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
gsxrturbo

Drives: 2010 ss
I would do the fuse pull to reset your timing table
gsxrturbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I notice the headers are fairly new when they were installed were the spark plugs removed during the install? I've read a lot of issues here with plugs being cracked during a header install so thought I would mention that.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
Kens ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I notice the headers are fairly new when they were installed were the spark plugs removed during the install? I've read a lot of issues here with plugs being cracked during a header install so thought I would mention that.
Yes plugs were removed for header install. I ended up short on time to trouble shoot today, maybe tomorrow..
Old 06-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Have you tried to launch since then? Just thinking outside the box here.....high heat/humidity + added weight of the passenger............
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #13
Kens ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Have you tried to launch since then? Just thinking outside the box here.....high heat/humidity + added weight of the passenger............
Funny, you should mention that. Just took her out one more time before I started trouble shooting. Same result delay on full power.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #14
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
So what was your boss's impression???

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote