Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #183
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Reminds me of apple's iPhones
Except 150x more expensive.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #184
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Except 150x more expensive.
that's technology either you keep up or get left behind. Imagine how many people who have multi-million dollar buisness's and don't know how to use twitter or facebook to advertise their buisness online and e.t.c.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #185
Christiancoach

Drives: 2008 Holden Commodore SSV
Quote:
Reminds me of apple's iPhones
"I Heard that the headphone jack is going to be....ON THE BOTTOM!"
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #186
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiancoach View Post
"I Heard that the headphone jack is going to be....ON THE BOTTOM!"
Epic commercial from Samsung
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #187
Christiancoach

Quote:
Epic commercial from Samsung
Very glad that you got the reference. I love my Galaxy SIII.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #188
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Very glad that you got the reference. I love my Galaxy SIII.
The one with the parents is awesome too.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #189
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
What I am saying is that apart from the appearance there is no commonality between the production cars and NASCAR. If they want to bring back the magic they should go back to homologation standards based on the production cars. Run what you sell. That would make the cars we see in the showroom a lot more interesting and make the money spent on NASCAR not only a marketing expense but an investment in development. We would benefit from the technological trickle down the same way Corvette, Porsche, and Ferrari owners do from those factory racing programs.
At the very least the cars should have to have the same engine type & drive configuration as the production cars. If you want to use a FWD V6 as your Nascar entry, then the racecar had better have 6 cylinders powering the front wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase
That would really irritate me if I end up buying one and they drop a Gen V or LSA in it the next year.
Well, since the choice would be between having an LS3 powered SS next year or nothing at all, I'd be pretty happy having the LS3
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #190
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
And here is the voice of reason...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #191
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
At the very least the cars should have to have the same engine type & drive configuration as the production cars. If you want to use a FWD V6 as your Nascar entry, then the racecar had better have 6 cylinders powering the front wheels.
If you look at most racing series they have rules about engine size, drive train configuration, etc.. The manufacturers just have to build to that standard if they want to race.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #192
Christiancoach

Obviously, I would take the LS3 in the SS versus not having a V8 Rear Wheel Drive Sedan available in the US. I just hope GM doesn't monkey around with it. If you going to have performance car available, create a real performance car! Use the latest and greatest. I despise all the crap GM plays around with, the Camaro/Cadillac/G8 can't have more HP than the Corvette. The fact that they detuned the G8 GXP so it was less powerful than the base Corvette is rediculous!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #193
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
I heard a horrible rumor about this. That the SS will be launched with the LS3 for the first model year, followed be an upgrade the following year, either the Direct Injection V8 or something else yet unknown (LSA). GM has done it before with the 2004 to 2005 GTO and the SSR, both released with the LS2 in the first year, followed by the LS3 in the second year.

The LSA is being tested in the the HSV version. Although I would kill to have the LSA in the SS, I strongly doubt it. In Australia it will be a very exclusive car in limited production, similar to the W427, which they only made 200 of.
Actually the 04 GTO had the LS1 and the 03?-04 SSR had the truck 5.3 V8. Both got the LS2 in 05.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #194
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
NASCAR version is being unveiled November 29 in Vegas
Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #195
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
If you look at most racing series they have rules about engine size, drive train configuration, etc.. The manufacturers just have to build to that standard if they want to race.
Of course, and there would still be restrictions such as no forced induction (or if its allowed set a max PSI), maximum displacement, minimum weight, and so on. But right now, to the best of my knowledge, the only rules in Nascar that make the car related to its production counterpart are a few points on the body template. Thats getting improved next year, but Nascar should go a lot farther.

The way I see it, saying that the race car and production car should have the same engine type & drive configuration would result in either
a) more RWD V8 sedans from manufacturers
b) Toyota getting its ass handed to them each and every weekend
c) Toyota pulling out of Nascar

I'd be quite happy with any of the 3

Quote:
Obviously, I would take the LS3 in the SS versus not having a V8 Rear Wheel Drive Sedan available in the US. I just hope GM doesn't monkey around with it. If you going to have performance car available, create a real performance car! Use the latest and greatest. I despise all the crap GM plays around with, the Camaro/Cadillac/G8 can't have more HP than the Corvette. The fact that they detuned the G8 GXP so it was less powerful than the base Corvette is rediculous!
Pretty much all of that is, as GM claims, related to the intake/exhaust setup for the cars. When engines are certified, it is done with all engine related equipment installed. That includes the mufflers, the cats, the airbox, driven accessories, everything. When something is designed solely as a high performance sports car, its a priority to get the air & exhaust moving as cleanly as possible. But on a sedan (or something derived from one & stuck with a particular price point) they have to make some compromises. So the result is a loss of a few hp. The engine itself is the same, its not detuned, and its not a conspiracy to maintain prestige and bragging rights for their top cars. Its just how engineering works.

I mean, if they were so concerned about maintaining prestige, why is it that the 'lowly' Camaro makes more power than Cadilacs when they share engines?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #196
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
NASCAR version is being unveiled November 29 in Vegas
That should give us some idea of what to expect from the styling.