Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Better engine mounts

Someone needs to come out with a better and stronger engine mounts (perhaps a bit shorter too) for this car. The stock ones are too rubbery.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but have you driven this car or have one? I ask because GM makes them like they are so you don't feel the engine shake the car. That may be fine for an enthusiast, but there are a lot more critics than people like us. Sure, that thing jerks all over the place when it's making ~150 more RWHP but if they were poly' mounts, I'm sure there would be lots' more complaints than praises out there. Personally, I think I'd be one of those complaining. I'm not suggesting that that's not wasted power or anything, but unless I were intending on making a racecar (which I'm not) I wouldn't like to have to live with that. I can see your point but there's gotta' be some give and take.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
someone WILL make poly and solid motor mounts for this car. just wait.

do you have your car yet? or are you just basing your statements off the Hennessey vid?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but have you driven this car or have one? I ask because GM makes them like they are so you don't feel the engine shake the car. That may be fine for an enthusiast, but there are a lot more critics than people like us. Sure, that thing jerks all over the place when it's making ~150 more RWHP but if they were poly' mounts, I'm sure there would be lots' more complaints than praises out there. Personally, I think I'd be one of those complaining. I'm not suggesting that that's not wasted power or anything, but unless I were intending on making a racecar (which I'm not) I wouldn't like to have to live with that. I can see your point but there's gotta' be some give and take.
Hi;
I should have really specified for those who will be adding F/I to this car, will eventually need a more solid EM to prevent the engine move so much. I agree that for most the current EM is perfect, but once you step up, you'll need one.

[Update], I think there may not be even necessary to go fully solid, but a bit shorter (like 1/4 inch) to minimize the rocking. You see this problem with PD S/C or Turbo, when the TQ is not so linear like Centri S/C. I've had my share of breaking soft EM before when the Turbo kicked in hard.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
do you have your car yet? or are you just basing your statements off the Hennessey vid?
When I saw the video, it reminded me of my own previous experience of adding Turbo to a car that was not designed to hold an extra 150 lb of TQ, which I had to go with Solid EM. However, Solid EM adds other unwanted issues but at least holds the engine down from rocking.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
When I saw the video, it reminded me of my own previous experience of adding Turbo to a car that was not designed to hold an extra 150 lb of TQ, which I had to go with Solid EM. However, Solid EM adds other unwanted issues but at least holds the engine down from rocking.
ive driven cars with solid motor mounts and as long as the motor is tuned and running properly, there isnt much more vibration over a poly mount.

I'd say give it another month or two and I'm sure some poly mounts will be out. and I dont know for sure, but poly mounts for other LS style engines should/would probably swap over
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
you should look at the magnetic variable engine mounts, they use them in the cars with magnetic rear suspension like the ZR1, CTS-V and the ferrari 599 gtb. goes hard or soft depending on the performance mode your car is in.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
you should look at the magnetic variable engine mounts, they use them in the cars with magnetic rear suspension like the ZR1, CTS-V and the ferrari 599 gtb. goes hard or soft depending on the performance mode your car is in.
Are you cereal or just messin' around?... If you are - I had no idea...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
Ah Great idea. But I think they are really expensive (as I recall for Z06 as an option) it was expensive. And secondly, I think the ECU needs to be programmed for that. But normally you use those for course racing, rather than street driving.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Hum. I bet they are fine. When someone can break a mount then worry about it.

With todays engineering it would take a more detailed study them.

If Lingenfelter needs to boost them or if they use stock that would be a good sign of what the right engineering would be.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
ive driven cars with solid motor mounts and as long as the motor is tuned and running properly, there isnt much more vibration over a poly mount.

I'd say give it another month or two and I'm sure some poly mounts will be out. and I dont know for sure, but poly mounts for other LS style engines should/would probably swap over
I am with Spike on this one.
Give the aftermarket time to get in production after they do the needed research. There will be more choices than can be imagined. I for one had solid mounts custom made b/c no one in the aftermarket would. The same mounts for a Boss 429 except solid plate. With the big motor and big cam the car was still in good manners on the street.....except for the dual 4 inch exaust dumps.