Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Are we driving the Harleys of the bike world?

I don’t get it. All my nephews think my car is cool but when asked, they all would like to own cars like Evos and WRXs. Nothing wrong with those cars at all but I feel like no matter how they refresh the muscle car, it isn’t appealing to the younger generation. Is it the case of not liking something because old people like it? By the way, none of these kids can turn a wrench but I guess you can blame that on me.

In the whole scheme of things it doesn’t matter to me because I like what I like but I do try to understand how the muscle car is being perceived by the next generation. I think this post applies to all muscle cars like mustangs and challengers, and all the others I’m forgetting not just Camaros.

EDIT: Now, now everyone be nice. I used Harley as a metaphor to describe a company that has not or did not adjust their products/culture/image enough to appeal to the next generation of Riders or appeal to a wider range of buyers. But I do get and share everyone’s distaste for the Harley brand/image.

Last edited by Level300; 11-01-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
No. While in a caravan we can maintain greater than 45 mph. Very rare to see a bike-a-roid on a Harley even close to the speed limit.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
No. While in a caravan we can maintain greater than 45 mph. Very rare to see a bike-a-roid on a Harley even close to the speed limit.
Exactly!!!!
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Evo's and WRX's are more obtainable. Muscle cars are see as more of a goal later in life.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
one of the 20 year old girls at work says i drive a bad ass black mustang.however since its a BVM camaro her powers of observation are suspect.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
My daughter is 20...and I work with alot of younger people 20 to 25 say. Most don't car about cars. And those that do look at Hondas ...Stis. My daughter loves my car. But her first new car will be a WRX STi she says . And from what I see and hear those small cars are popular with kids because they offer good overall performance. They are affordable..are great on gas while having good power. And kids don't look at owning a performance car with 4drs the way alot of other people do...me included.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
EVO's, STI's and the like are cheaper, more practical (AWD sedans) and still maintain the cool factor. Most kids don't have the money to have a weekend toy and a DD. With these pocket rockets, you can have a reasonably priced fun car, something that can comfortably haul 3-4 buddies and also traverse the snow with ease.

Take it from me, I bought a barely used '03 EVO 8 when I was young and it covered all of my bases.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
We are lucky in a way that modern muscle cars made a comeback at all, really everything is against them from fuel consumption to insurance costs.
My daughter is 18 and if she ever has kids it will be amazing if they get to drive a fossil fuel car.
However when I go out, sometimes I just like looking at my Camaro, that says it all to me.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
Are we driving the Harleys of the bike world?
No way - a much better comparison for a Harley would be a pickup The Camaro is far too sleek and fast and technologically advanced to be compared to a Harley. Don't laugh but I actually see some similarities between my Camaro and my Interceptor. Both have a proud racing heritage, both have great styling, both are fast but maybe not the fastest, both are very comfortable to drive/ride, both are technologically advanced but maybe not the most advanced, etc.

Attached Images

GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Camaros are not over priced pieces of garbage...so nope.
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
I think a lot of older people (not old, just older lol) seem to think young people aren’t interested in muscle cars or cars in general, but I disagree. In fact, I’d say it’s the opposite. Young people just enjoy cars in different ways than previous generations. I’m nineteen, and I’ve been around muscle cars my whole life, so when I had the opportunity to buy a car, a SGM camaro was my FIRST choice. There are a lot of young people in the same situation. But I think the difference between older generations and younger ones is that young people are going to these quick meets as opposed to going to car shows that last all day. Pretty much all of my friends drive muscle cars whether they’re mopars, mustangs or Chevys. Young people still love muscle cars, like I said though, I think they just enjoy them in different ways.
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
metrogdor22

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
The biggest problem, IMO, is affordability. Upfront costs aside, a 6.2L V8 RWD coupe is significantly more to insure than a 2.0L 4-banger AWD sedan. At 23 with a clean record, I pay $300/mo to insure my 2013. A 2005 WRX would probably be less than half that. Then there's the cost of premium while getting 14mpg, parts and labor from a reputable shop vs. a Cobb email tune, etc. If I didn't have a good job, I wouldn't have a Camaro.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #13

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
OP, I personally think that muscle cars are not fading, and its more of the large displacement V8 . The big displacement V8 where brought back in the early age of muscle car era to give more Hp output, but in our present date, you can have a 6, or 4 banger output high hp right out from the factory.

This means that Chevy, ford, and Dodge will have to evolve their muscle cars to meet the demands of upcoming generations.

That why Chevy brought in the V6 1LE at 355hp and V4 at 275hp, and ford has the ecobust I4 at 310hp..

The one I am worry about is the Challenger, they only have the V6 3.6L at 305Hp.

There will be a place for big displacement VB, but as those generation start to fade the taste of those V8 will fad along. The Camaro will evolved and continue on it journey as muscle car to suit the up rising of new generations.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrogdor22 View Post
The biggest problem, IMO, is affordability. Upfront costs aside, a 6.2L V8 RWD coupe is significantly more to insure than a 2.0L 4-banger AWD sedan. At 23 with a clean record, I pay $300/mo to insure my 2013. A 2005 WRX would probably be less than half that. Then there's the cost of premium while getting 14mpg, parts and labor from a reputable shop vs. a Cobb email tune, etc. If I didn't have a good job, I wouldn't have a Camaro.
Good point!
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote