Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Quicksilver 1LE

Drives: 14 750HP SS/RS 1LE
I just installed the Hurst shifter on my 1LE and HOLY SHIT do I love it!! When shifting my hand only moves about half inch compared to the stock 1LE shifter. A world of difference, Faster shifts, and it is louder but my exhaust drowns it out. Just to inform those who have a 2014 the shift knob has a screw on the passenger side to remove the knob rather than to pry it off like the old shift knobs.
Attached Images

Quicksilver 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
Fraxum

Drives: 2018 A10 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I have the Barton shifter I took off my '11 SS. But I have not installed it yet on my 1LE. It definitely is a little better as a shifter. But if you adjust the throw it is great for racing. It is much easier to install than the MGW, but still a PIA.

I see the shifter pecking order like this:

MGW > Barton > ZL1/1LE > Hurst > SS

Hmmm Quiksilver likes his, this was based on old Hurst info. So maybe the Hurst and has been improved, so it's like this:

MGW > Barton=Hurst > ZL1/1LE > SS

I don't know about the MGW or Hurst, but the two factory shifters are quieter than the somewhat buzzy Barton with a custom stick. On my '11 I installed the factory stick on the Barton and had the best of both worlds.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: 2018 A10 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
Love the factory shifter, time and money to replace is not worth it. Mine is quiet and smooth. Never missed a gear yet and i have HAMMERED it...just saying.
The shorter throw really helps me.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
Camaro Dude
and SLEDGE

Drives: '13 1LE, 2SS, NPP
Buzzy sounding shifters are an instant deal breaker for me.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yea, when I ask about noise differences, I am concerned about buzz/rattle. Louder "clicks" or increases in natural conveyance of road noise don't bother me. Maybe I should have made that clear when asking about the MGW versus the 1LE/ZL1 shifter . . .
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
USMUCL

UPDATE:

Well, the wife ordered me the MGW, so I took the plunge and changed out the shifter. Here are my thoughts, as it relates to the 1LE.

Installation: It was as time consuming as advertised. But, MGW's installation video is spot on. The only thing it didn't talk about was the clearance issue with removing the pins for the OEM shifter assembly arms, as the tranny tunnel is in the way. I ended up having to gently lower the jack (that was supporting the tranny) to bottom out the transmission, then use a long screwdriver to put pressure on the tranny and move it slightly to the side to get enough room to get the pin out.

Looks: I elected to go with the retro shifter because I wanted the shift ball, which I think feels much better (insert joke here). I came to this after thinking I wanted the MGW that allowed the 1LE OEM knob for the longest time. Glad I changed direction there. Picture is below . . . I went with a dark gun metal knob that kept the same general color scheme as the OEM. I might have went with MGW's 'SS' knob if I knew it was weighted. More on that later. I do like that I don't have to worry about wear-and-tear as much like you do with the 1LE knob. My only beef is that the 1LE boot gets squeezed tight against the MGW shaft, and this caused some "crinkling" where it meets the shaft.

Shifting/functionality: While the 1LE shifter is good, I found it was still just sloppy enough to hit that spot between 1st and 3rd when doing a quick 2-3 shift, if I wasn't paying attention . . . thus causing a feel like you are "locked" out of 3rd. The MGW fixes that -- the return springs bringing it to the center are so strong, if you miss a 2-3 shift or a 5-4 shift, you should punch yourself in the balls and then buy an automatic. The MGW is a real improvement. Only down side I see here is that the spring strength makes it necessary to use much more effort to get to reverse. This might lighten up with time/break-in. The MGW throws are shorter (33%) versus the 1LE (22%), but you honestly don't notice that small difference, IMO. I noticed no increase in "clunkiness" or needed shift effort for the MGW versus the 1LE shifter.

Noise: This was the scariest part to me, because I didn't want to introduce a bunch of rattle or buzzing to the interior. I'm pleased to say that it did not. In fact, the MGW might have less noise, as my 1LE shifter always had a very faint rattle under load; the MGW does not. However, the MGW might introduce a touch more gear rollover noise, but so little so that I can't honestly say I'm certain it is not because I was listening harder after the MGW was installed. Bottom line, I was very, very pleasantly surprised at how quiet the MGW turned out. Full disclosure -- I used much sound insulation, including extra dynomat, extra foam pad insulation, and a weighted shift ball (8 oz). I even used plumber's tape on the shaft threads before screwing the shift ball on. All this just to be sure I mitigated any additional noise as much as possible, and the final outcome is great.

The final verdict? The MGW is a certain improvement over the 1LE/ZL1 shifter. Still, is it worth the cost, installation effort, and possible warranty concerns, given the 1LE is already pretty good? That is not quite as certain. I'm glad I have the MGW now, but I honestly don't know if I'd do it again, i.e. if it was worth all the time and expense.

Last edited by USMUCL; 06-10-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #21
GIDIUP

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LE
Looks great imo.

Did the metal sleeve come with the shifter. Really like how the boot transitions in the metal. Very clean look.
GIDIUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
GIDIUP

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver 1LE View Post
I just installed the Hurst shifter on my 1LE and HOLY SHIT do I love it!! When shifting my hand only moves about half inch compared to the stock 1LE shifter. A world of difference, Faster shifts, and it is louder but my exhaust drowns it out. Just to inform those who have a 2014 the shift knob has a screw on the passenger side to remove the knob rather than to pry it off like the old shift knobs.
Old school and bad @ss. Fan of the early muscle cars?

Purchase it from a vendor on here?
GIDIUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:09 AM   #23
USMUCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIDIUP View Post
Looks great imo.

Did the metal sleeve come with the shifter. Really like how the boot transitions in the metal. Very clean look.
The metal "sleeve" is the retro style shifter that MGW offers.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #24
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
Love the factory shifter, time and money to replace is not worth it. Mine is quiet and smooth. Never missed a gear yet and i have HAMMERED it...just saying.
This.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 AM   #25
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Great update. I agree with everything you say other than the was it worth it part. No doubt was it worth it. I love wrenching on my car and I'd do it again in a heart beat if I had to. Glad you are happy with the shifter.

I originally had the SS race knob on, switched it over to a ball knob, like the ball more surprisingly.

Anybody on the fence about doing the MGW upgrade....... DO IT
Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #26
hugoq_1le

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE/2SS
I'm waiting for mine to arrive ...love all the positive reviews on this thread can't wait to get mine
Old 06-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #27
USMUCL

I went on some spirited drives the last couple days. The more I drive it, the more I like it. Not sure if it is "breaking in" or whether I'm just getting used to it, but it feels smoother and smoother the more I go.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #28
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I am sure there are better options, but I have no issues with our stock 1LE shifter, so I guess ignorance is bliss in this case.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote