Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
h777

Drives: None
Who here decided against getting paint protection?

Who here decided against getting paint protection? I always hear reasoning for people getting paint protection. However, do not hear much from people who decided against it. Would want to hear from some members who thought it was not worth it to spend $2k to $3k. And how there car is after all the driving.
h777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
After owning an 2010, a 2012 and now a 2017, the one thing that I learned is that the paint is thin and it damages real easy. I always wrap mine.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I do not have any filmprotection on my car, but have bought paint protection for other cars. It all depends on your situation. If you're in an area were you heavily pick up rocks, get the film. If you're like me, on smooth new Florida roads, garage, and the car used a couple days a week, there's no need for it. Car is 18 months old, Has two minor hits that I'll take care of with Dr. colorchip later this fall.

Another alternative to film for the front of the car is at novistretch bra. I have owned two and they work unbelievably well.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I seriously considered putting X-pel film on my ZL1. In the end, I decided against it. My car is not a daily driver (never mind the 2500 miles I've put on it in the 1st month..). Also, the roads in the Washington DC area are pretty good so not many opportunities for rocks. And in the winter when there is sand and salt all over the place, I'll drive my 2011 Merc around (which does have a dealer installed wrap).
Plus, I have a garage so the car is pretty well protected.
I may regret it later, but for now that is $2-3K I'll spend on something else.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I bought some lumar clear mask and applied it myself. The areas I did were the rear rockers, which catch all the stone chips thrown off the sticky front tires. I Also did the area of the front fenders.... behind the front tires too. Plus the best thing you can do is, install the rock guards on both front and rear. As everyone knows even if you spent the big bucks.... crap happens and your still going to have issues. I cant really dont see a downside to those car owners, who had the car masked everywhere. I just cant see myself spending $3K to get it done. The biggest thing is these type of tires, when warmed pick up everything on the road and fling it against the car.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by h777 View Post
Who here decided against getting paint protection? I always hear reasoning for people getting paint protection. However, do not hear much from people who decided against it. Would want to hear from some members who thought it was not worth it to spend $2k to $3k. And how there car is after all the driving.
I haven't had any paint protection done at all. I'm cheap.

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
On my 2013 ZL1 I was against it. Until at 250 miles I took a chip right to the nose front and center. I was so mad. Then I noticed what was happening near the gills on the side. Ended up wrapping that car before I hit 500 miles. When I got my 2017, I made the appointment the day I took delivery. I live in southeast Michigan, arguably the worst roads in America.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
First off, it is not worth it to me. I have driven close to 1 million miles in my life and the clear coat on the paint is good enough. I am very observant and dodge or pass windshield killers.

Plus the bad cover jobs I have seen and read about where you can see lines or borders really makes it not worth it.

Mine's good....

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Everyone against paint protection is really kidding themselves if they think the front splitter isn't going to get peppered with paint chips over time. Talk to the Corvette guys and see how well their front splitters are holding up to rock chips. I know C7 owners that are on their 2nd and 3rd splitters already.

I can understand the objection to getting the whole front of the car protected but at least get the splitter covered. Don't kid yourself, even on good roads rocks will get thrown at the front of the car and the splitter will be the area that gets hit the most.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
And if you ever decide to sell it will be a lot easier if the car isn't peppered with rock chips.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #11
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Wish I had done it. Only 8000 miles and have used the touch up paint several times already. Biggest chips in front bumper area and splitter. While doing the yearly polish, I noticed lots of little nicks before rear wheel above the factory installed protection.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by h777 View Post
Paint protection on the front end, mirrors, extended rockers and behind the rear tires cost me under $1k. For that much its a no brainer on a $60k+ car IMO
Old 07-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
I should add, in the northeast, we have a lot of sand and rocks on the road from the winters.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
Wish I had done it. Only 8000 miles and have used the touch up paint several times already. Biggest chips in front bumper area and splitter. While doing the yearly polish, I noticed lots of little nicks before rear wheel above the factory installed protection.
It's weird that the other Camaro models get protection film in that area but the ZL1 does not. I guess Chevy feels the side rockers on the ZL1 offer enough protection.

I had front splash guards on my 2013 ZL1 and I firmly believe it reduced the number of paint chips in the gill area. I put front splash guards on my 6th gen ZL1 within the first two weeks of ownership. So far no chips in the areas past the doors (knock on wood). I also have paint protection film on the lower panel right after the door. It's a two pronged approach to protecting that area.