Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Bumped at a stop light

On the way home from work yesterday, I was stopped at a red light. Then suddenly - BUMP. Jumped out and looked at the rear of the car and the only thing I saw was a tiny speck of paint knocked off just above the rear diffuser, actually on the bottom of the painted surface just above the diffuser. Didn't see anything else so I headed home (steamed, of course).

After a thorough examination, I find on top of the left rear quarter panel a small crease in the surface. It's just past the bottom of the rear window on top of the quarter panel. From the impact (which was slight, the driver I think had stopped, then started creeping forward), the crease is bowed outward, not like a door ding that goes inward. I can't really feel it much, but you see it in reflections. I checked the other side this morning, and it has one too, though not as noticeable. Could have been a lot worse, but still....

Question is, can Paintless Dent Removal get rid of a crease that goes outward from the surface? Anyone have experience with this type of repair?
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've written thousands of collision appraisals and 1/4 panels do buckle from
hard rear impacts, but inward not outward. Just doesn't happen IMO.
I would check for another cause.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I've written thousands of collision appraisals and 1/4 panels do buckle from
hard rear impacts, but inward not outward. Just doesn't happen IMO.
I would check for another cause.
+1 can you post pics if the damage?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
djm96z28

Unfortunately, no camera. Sounds like I'm just going to have to live with it. It's one of those "most people wouldn't notice it, but I know it's there" kind of things. Just irritating.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Wouldn't the driver who bumped you have to pay for repairs?
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
djm96z28

I didn't see any damage at the scene. The bump seemed very slight, as if the driver's foot just eased up on the brake pedal and the car moved forward into mine. I'm just wondering if it can be fixed through dentless repair. Sure not going to replace quarter panels for this.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Are you sure it wasn't there before you were hit? If I understand you correctly, the damage is well forward on the quarter panel by the back glass. It would take a serious hit to cause the car to buckle in that area. The bumper would have to move a whole lot before that kind of energy would be put into the main body structure. I'm not just talking out my arse, I engineered bumper systems for a number of years.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
djm96z28

I've had the car for over a year and clean it almost weekly, so I honestly don't believe it was there before. The area from the C pillar into the quarter panel top always seemed smooth. Again, I don't believe I can really feel the crease, but do see it in reflections. The seams from the rear fascia to the quarter panels seem undamaged. No scratches in the diffuser and no spiderweb cracks in the paint. It was a little more than just a tap, I guess. Maybe something had to give somewhere.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
That's surprising, but I guess not impossible. Sorry to hear you got hit. That would drive me crazy too.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
djm96z28

I'm going to try to stop by a paintless dent removal place on my lunch hour and see what they think.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
You don't mention anything about the person that bumped you. Did the other driver get out and examine your car and his/hers? What was the exchange with the other driver like?
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
almost every cellphone since 2000 has a camera...

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
I don't get why people creep forward, it puts additional wear on the brakes and you get nowhere but into these types of situations.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
On the way home from work yesterday, I was stopped at a red light. Then suddenly - BUMP. Jumped out and looked at the rear of the car and the only thing I saw was a tiny speck of paint knocked off just above the rear diffuser, actually on the bottom of the painted surface just above the diffuser. Didn't see anything else so I headed home (steamed, of course).

After a thorough examination, I find on top of the left rear quarter panel a small crease in the surface. It's just past the bottom of the rear window on top of the quarter panel. From the impact (which was slight, the driver I think had stopped, then started creeping forward), the crease is bowed outward, not like a door ding that goes inward. I can't really feel it much, but you see it in reflections. I checked the other side this morning, and it has one too, though not as noticeable. Could have been a lot worse, but still....

Question is, can Paintless Dent Removal get rid of a crease that goes outward from the surface? Anyone have experience with this type of repair?
Hello djm96z28,

Sorry to learn about your recent finder binder. I am glad it was not too serious and that no one was injured. Should you need assistance getting an appointment to visit a dealer's body shop or answer any questions, we are available to help you here.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care