Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Oil cooler

I wanted some suggestions of what aftermarket oil cooler you guys recommend for the 1LE. I was driving really hard on the highway and it went as far up as 260 with the temp gauges that are in the car so I would want to have that reduce drastically. What do you guys recommend ??
Any suggestion would be great.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
I wanted some suggestions of what aftermarket oil cooler you guys recommend for the 1LE. I was driving really hard on the highway and it went as far up as 260 with the temp gauges that are in the car so I would want to have that reduce drastically. What do you guys recommend ??
Any suggestion would be great.
Mishimoto kit. Comes complete and works well. I have it and it will work well if you have stock coolers. Mine is a thermostatically controlled unit in black.

260° would not be bad but, the factory gauge is not as good as a real temp gauge...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
rgrmoreira13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Mishimoto kit. Comes complete and works well. I have it and it will work well if you have stock coolers. Mine is a thermostatically controlled unit in black.

260° would not be bad but, the factory gauge is not as good as a real temp gauge...

-Don
and you have that with your LSA kit ??
and did you have a placement issue ?
Also did it reduce the amount of heat soak from your supercharger ?

Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Prior to the Mishimoto kit coming out this year, guys were putting together similar kits. Your main choice is either blocking off the OEM oil cooler (more an oil heater for warm up purposes) or leave it intact and add a kit like the Mishimoto. I have all the parts, and chose to just add on with a sandwich plate like the Mishimoto kit, leaving the stock cooler intact. Some feel getting rid of it is avoiding a possible point of failure (leak) later.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
rgrmoreira13

my car temp on regular driving is around 240 F and I don't know if that is good for these engines and if I want to go FI and add either a procharger or a LSA supercharger I don't want my oil temp going super high and having my engine heat soaking cause of this unbearable Florida Heat

ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
Old 08-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Prior to the Mishimoto kit coming out this year, guys were putting together similar kits. Your main choice is either blocking off the OEM oil cooler (more an oil heater for warm up purposes) or leave it intact and add a kit like the Mishimoto. I have all the parts, and chose to just add on with a sandwich plate like the Mishimoto kit, leaving the stock cooler intact. Some feel getting rid of it is avoiding a possible point of failure (leak) later.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
and you have that with your LSA kit ??
and did you have a placement issue ?
Also did it reduce the amount of heat soak from your supercharger ?
Yes, on my LSA kit, the issue I have is due to the fact I have 2 coolers behind the Mishimoto Cooler. Longer lines, which I ordered, will help. I too left the factory cooler/heater in place.

The kit won't help heat soak as the LSA, and most PD blowers, is limited by the intercooler in the lid. Once it starts though, my sc cooling system does its job. Heat soak happens pretty much when we shut it off or, idle for long periods.

It does help oil cooling...

-Don
Old 08-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hammdo, where did you get your cooler?
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
rgrmoreira13

Quote:
Yes, on my LSA kit, the issue I have is due to the fact I have 2 coolers behind the Mishimoto Cooler. Longer lines, which I ordered, will help. I too left the factory cooler/heater in place.

The kit won't help heat soak as the LSA, and most PD blowers, is limited by the intercooler in the lid. Once it starts though, my sc cooling system does its job. Heat soak happens pretty much when we shut it off or, idle for long periods.

It does help oil cooling...

-Don

Was placement a issue in regards to having a oil cooler as well as the Intercooler from your Supercharger ?
More and more I am leaning towards that option to do the LSA supercharger as it is the most cost effective and my overall goal is to have the car at around 650rwhp.

ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
Old 08-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

I did the pre-sale with Mishimoto -- kit is great-- I just have so many coolers, I needed longer hoses -- got the longer hoses coming from Improved Racing's other Company ANFasteners.com.

Mishimoto is sending me a new sandwich plate setup just to be safe. For a stock setup, its perfect. For mine, with 2 coolers right behind the Mishimoto, I need a bit longer length in the hoses to make it work. Their kit, is really plug-n-play for the most part. Everything needed is included. If you track occasionally like I do, this is a great setup...

Quote:
Was placement a issue in regards to having a oil cooler as well as the Intercooler from your Supercharger ?
More and more I am leaning towards that option to do the LSA supercharger as it is the most cost effective and my overall goal is to have the car at around 650rwhp.
I have a trans cooler and a thicker HX cooler -- both of these are right behind the Oil Cooler and thus it does make the hoses a tight fit. If you track the car, then you'll want the cooler -- just plan on getting longer hoses as its a very tight fit for the hoses to make it on the sandwich plate. I found that out after the 3rd time the sandwich plate loosened.

The LSA kit is AWESOME, I love what I've been able to do with it, and once the forged setup is done, I'll have a very strong engine to track with and, of course, drive ;o)

-Don
Old 08-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
rgrmoreira13

Quote:
I did the pre-sale with Mishimoto -- kit is great-- I just have so many coolers, I needed longer hoses -- got the longer hoses coming from Improved Racing's other Company ANFasteners.com.

Mishimoto is sending me a new sandwich plate setup just to be safe. For a stock setup, its perfect. For mine, with 2 coolers right behind the Mishimoto, I need a bit longer length in the hoses to make it work. Their kit, is really plug-n-play for the most part. Everything needed is included. If you track occasionally like I do, this is a great setup...

-Don
yea right now it is completely stock so yea it is my daily driver and I would want to do some hard pulls but know that the oil temp is not going to skyrocket while doing so.
I would want to do it so that when I get my FI it will not affect my oil cooler at all. I would like to think ahead with this build.

ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Bigger radiator and HX would be my first choices before the oil cooler when going FI.

Bigger Radiator helps with both engine and oil cooling due to more capacity and effective cooling surface.

If one has an auto, then that cooler should be next. Oil cooler for me was so I could road race. I'd do that last after the FI. The other coolers will help a ton when you first go FI...

-Don
Old 08-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #13
rgrmoreira13

My car is a manual and the no FI just yet.
The temp issue happens when I am driving hard at the "Track"

ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
Old 08-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep, radiator and oil cooler would be helpful for your 'track' events ;o)

-Don