Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-07-2020, 03:56 AM   #1
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Darton sleeves (install & are they needed) & V8 swap question

Hey everybody,

Last question first: Anybody on here went through with an LTG to LT1 engine swap? preferably LT1 auto but manual is ok too. Youtube videos or build journals that i can look at. This is just my "plan B" in case i change my mind about building up this engine. On my other turbo cars as i was planning my turbo build i would always think "it would probably be easier/less hassle to just get a V8". Even when i was car shopping for this i would think "maybe i should just buy a V8".

Next question is about the Darton sleeve install. I asked this question on a different thread but my question may have been misunderstood or i may not have been clear. If i decide to get ZZP pistons and ZZP rods can i use them on a stock block? I think on Honda B and H series engines (maybe K and F too) iirc there was an issue with forged pistons messing up stock cylinders either coating or something i forget what it was. Does the LTG have similar issues with aftermarket pistons in stock sleeves? Last question: how do they install the Darton sleeves in the LTG? do they machine away some of block and press in the Darton sleeves? i'm guessing that there isn't another way to install aftermarket sleeves but i just wanted to be sure.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Kaseikei

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1LT
I'm not too versed in this platform and others will definitely be better at answering this question than i. General consensus i believe is that swapping the LTG to the LT1 will always come out more expensive to get a reliable outcome than purchasing a 1SS, specially with how low some of the 16 models can be had now.
Kaseikei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaseikei View Post
I'm not too versed in this platform and others will definitely be better at answering this question than i. General consensus i believe is that swapping the LTG to the LT1 will always come out more expensive to get a reliable outcome than purchasing a 1SS, specially with how low some of the 16 models can be had now.
Gonna hafta agree with you there seems way to pricey unless he has a cheap or free LT1 and is installing the LTG in some other project.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Gonna hafta agree with you there seems way to pricey unless he has a cheap or free LT1 and is installing the LTG in some other project.

Well if i were to go through with it i would get the LT1 used, not from one of those "crate engine" sites which i'm guessing are probably overpriced anyways. I dont have any idea what availability would be like though. I came from Hondas and it was super easy to get (legit) engines and trannys. Lots more of them because of the type of car they came from obviously but also they have Japanese/European engines that they can get which gives more of a selection. I'm guessing with Camaro's/Chevy's its going to be a little harder to find one. As far as the LTG if i find a LT1 then the LTG would be sold off to someone. It might be useful as a core or spare for someone looking to internally build up their own LTG. I did also think about just trading for a SS so thats another possibility too.

I still prefer a built turbo 2.0 over a lightly modded V8. It just sucks right now cause i'm in an apartment with no garage to work out of. So i would have to find someone elses garage to work out of (unlikely) or have a shop do all my work. Also i'm in CA and with the whole smogging and ARB and cops giving people trouble for modded cars or loud exhausts (i prefer quiet exhausts though).
Old 01-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
low miles. https://www.prosalvage.com/vehiclesDetail.php?117195
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
There is no need to re-sleeve the engine. The existing cylinder walls are just fine with aftermarket pistons and rods.

Do not swap a V8 into this car. There is absolutely nothing compatible with the swap. Here is just a small sample of the additional nightmares you will encounter:
Change out dash cluster
Change out transmission
Change out rear end
Change out to larger rear rim and tire
Etc...
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #7
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
There is no need to re-sleeve the engine. The existing cylinder walls are just fine with aftermarket pistons and rods.

Do not swap a V8 into this car. There is absolutely nothing compatible with the swap. Here is just a small sample of the additional nightmares you will encounter:
Change out dash cluster
Change out transmission
Change out rear end
Change out to larger rear rim and tire
Etc...

TY for the info on the sleeves. Assuming good tune, ZZP rods and pistons how much hp can the stock cylinder walls handle?

The availability of parts is what worries me the most with the swap really not so much the number of different items i need. I doubt it is as bad as everything i had to piece together for my old project car :P Funny story about that too is i was gathering all the swap parts i needed gradually over the course of several months. I was younger then and i lived in a 1Bed 1Bath apartment alone. My bed was out in my living room along with my computer desk. And in my bedroom i put down several layers of heavy duty plastic and also a thick layer of cardboard which i think was used for shipping a car hood. On top of all that stuff in my bedroom i had my short block on a tire, my head, valve cover, alternator and all the little bits and pieces scattered all over the floor. When swap day came i took out the passenger seat out of my CRX and put the block in its place. I used my office chair with the seat back removed and put the block onto it and used that to wheel the block across the parking lot lol. All the other bits and pieces went in the back and wherever i could find room.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
wookwook

living the dream! I would have to say your in an elite crowd of 1 maybe 2. I think the platform is too new for many to have ventured there on ltg. Those that do for some reason don't socialize much, here anyways. I would suggest if your going nitro, don't test it in your living room. That's about all I can offer.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
TY for the info on the sleeves. Assuming good tune, ZZP rods and pistons how much hp can the stock cylinder walls handle?

The availability of parts is what worries me the most with the swap really not so much the number of different items i need. I doubt it is as bad as everything i had to piece together for my old project car :P Funny story about that too is i was gathering all the swap parts i needed gradually over the course of several months. I was younger then and i lived in a 1Bed 1Bath apartment alone. My bed was out in my living room along with my computer desk. And in my bedroom i put down several layers of heavy duty plastic and also a thick layer of cardboard which i think was used for shipping a car hood. On top of all that stuff in my bedroom i had my short block on a tire, my head, valve cover, alternator and all the little bits and pieces scattered all over the floor. When swap day came i took out the passenger seat out of my CRX and put the block in its place. I used my office chair with the seat back removed and put the block onto it and used that to wheel the block across the parking lot lol. All the other bits and pieces went in the back and wherever i could find room.
Dudes are at 500 hp with no issues yet that I'm aware of.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
wookwook

500 ltg mated to a 4 spd 4L65 hydra-matic with manual valve body and ratchet shifter. 3500 k stall with that turbo. 11's maybe?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Dudes are at 500 hp with no issues yet that I'm aware of.

Neat thank you, thats about how high i was planning on going, though realistically i'll probably end up closer to 350-400 rwhp and the upgraded internals will just give me piece of mind.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
wookwook

this should do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-S.../dp/B07K1DBKXZ
Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
V8 swap

Only way to do it would be to have a salvage donor of same year

Need front cradle, rear cradle, diff, axles, shocks/springs, ecm, sway bars. I think knuckles/hubs/control arms are same. In tank fuel pump may be different but probably not.

BCM /gauges (assuming gauges look the same) can be reflashed as needed.

Really, on a car where the V8 is available (unlike Cadillac Alphas) it really would be better to sell yours/buy a V8 car. UNLESS you are doing it for insurance purposes like my father and I did on my first car (85 Fbody v6-v8 swap, insurance was less then half)
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #14
Zzsteve

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
500 ltg mated to a 4 spd 4L65 hydra-matic with manual valve body and ratchet shifter. 3500 k stall with that turbo. 11's maybe?

We went 10.30s on the stock 8l45 and converter no need to overcomplicate trans stuff. Driveshaft and axles on the other hand......now that's why 9s havent happened ......yet
Zzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote