Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
rjinotti

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS A6 & 2014 SW 2SS/RS M6
A question to SS convertible owners

I'm going to look at this badass 2015 2SS convertible non RS tomorrow. this car has been sitting at the dealership next to me and is driving me crazy cuz it's badass one owner, performance package, dealer installed ground effects, loaded NPP exhaust, LS3 30,000 miles but I never owned a convertible. So far I've read alot of good things online, but would like some knowledge from you guys. Good, bad.issues?.. I know they had top issues but that was in the 2011 model of the year if I recall. Thank you in advance for your time and effort.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
I love my convertible, it’s a 2012 SS that I purchased 2014.
Added Kooks headers, Mach-XL cat back by Solo and air intake from ColdAir inductions.
My car is stored from Nov-Apr
May/June/Oct is mostly top up driving
July/Aug/Sept top down driving
I love the car and to be honest I probably would have sold it by now if it was a coupe. Would have got bored of it.
The convertible gives you the ability to go topless at a push of a button. Transforming it into a whole new driving experience
Good luck with the decision, that car looks great.
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Trunks limited in that it has to have the top take up part, weighs 300 lbs more, you have to store the tonneau cover for the top in the trunk also if it comes with one.... also no reach through with the rear seat not folding down. I had a 11, they were supposed to not have enough padding for the top, never had problems with mine, I used Sunbrella to make water repellant...and changed to a coupe eventually....had a cat that liked to sleep on the top....pain to clean the fur..still have the cat. Also a little difference in suspension being softer for the top being a fe3 not fe4 and then there is a shock brace over the engine..... That's all I think of, and I work outside a lot so extra sunburn not so much fun and its rainy a lot here...traded in with not too bad depreciation after a year or so...and Black was a PITA keeping clean...LOL
Old 03-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
The top will get discolored on the fold areas over time..
Mine weighs 4400lb with me in it and a half tank of gas.
Other than that its a great car.. if your planning on going real fast, get a lighter coupe.. if your just wanting a sick street car then get a vert.
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinotti View Post
I'm going to look at this badass 2015 2SS convertible non RS tomorrow. this car has been sitting at the dealership next to me and is driving me crazy cuz it's badass one owner, performance package, dealer installed ground effects, loaded NPP exhaust, LS3 30,000 miles but I never owned a convertible. So far I've read alot of good things online, but would like some knowledge from you guys. Good, bad.issues?.. I know they had top issues but that was in the 2011 model of the year if I recall. Thank you in advance for your time and effort.
I bought mine 4 years ago online, sight unseen, except for pics. So far the issues I've had are, from most recent to first:
Starter $100
Battery $160
Window Regulator, passenger side $350
Window Regulator, driver side $350
Blend door for A/C
Transmission (Under Warranty)
I bought the car with 14K miles, it now has 85K miles. She's my DD.
I absolutely love the car!!!! I was thinking about trading it in on a new SS, but I think I'm just going to keep her and update and maintain as needed. The car is plenty fast enough, I have a CAI and a tune. If the price is right, pull the trigger, I'd do it all over again if given the choice.
If you don't mind, what are they asking?

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
rjinotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
I bought mine 4 years ago online, sight unseen, except for pics. So far the issues I've had are, from most recent to first:
Starter $100
Battery $160
Window Regulator, passenger side $350
Window Regulator, driver side $350
Blend door for A/C
Transmission (Under Warranty)
I bought the car with 14K miles, it now has 85K miles. She's my DD.
I absolutely love the car!!!! I was thinking about trading it in on a new SS, but I think I'm just going to keep her and update and maintain as needed. The car is plenty fast enough, I have a CAI and a tune. If the price is right, pull the trigger, I'd do it all over again if given the choice.
If you don't mind, what are they asking?
Thank you for your input, they are asking $23,400. 1 owner trade 31,000 miles. But the car has been sitting there for almost 2 months now, not sure why that seems like a great price according to my research. I'm heading over at 2pm today to see what's up.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinotti View Post
Thank you for your input, they are asking $23,400. 1 owner trade 31,000 miles. But the car has been sitting there for almost 2 months now, not sure why that seems like a great price according to my research. I'm heading over at 2pm today to see what's up.
Good luck bro! I paid $28,500, 4 years ago, that was about $8K less than what they were going for in my area of Philadelphia. I had it shipped from Texas. The only thing I can think of for it sitting, maybe it doesn't have a clean accident record, of course those records are only as good as the reporting.
Keep us posted!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
Old 03-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
rjinotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
Good luck bro! I paid $28,500, 4 years ago, that was about $8K less than what they were going for in my area of Philadelphia. I had it shipped from Texas. The only thing I can think of for it sitting, maybe it doesn't have a clean accident record, of course those records are only as good as the reporting.
Keep us posted!
Cool, yeah I checked it out has a clean Carfax, and I ran the build sheet on it everything looks legit. The dealer said it was an older gentleman who traded it in and was garage kept, I'm just wondering if it's the triple black color combo, could be quite hot here in South Florida. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
I have had 2 convertibles a 2012 SS and currently a 2013 ZL1 convertible both are great cars!! As for me, I will never own a non-convertible fun car!
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #10
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
All I can offer is DO NOT try to lower the top if it's below 65 degrees - that may not be the correct temp, some of the drop top owners here can correct that.

A friend that lives in Minnesota has a 2012 RS. He lowered the top when it was cold and it broke or bent a couple of supports. The dealer told him they would fix it under warranty once but the manual states not to lower the top below "X" temperature.

Otherwise it's a new Camaro and about more fun than you can have with your clothes on! GO FOR IT!!
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
All I can offer is DO NOT try to lower the top if it's below 65 degrees - that may not be the correct temp, some of the drop top owners here can correct that.

A friend that lives in Minnesota has a 2012 RS. He lowered the top when it was cold and it broke or bent a couple of supports. The dealer told him they would fix it under warranty once but the manual states not to lower the top below "X" temperature.

Otherwise it's a new Camaro and about more fun than you can have with your clothes on! GO FOR IT!!
You had me curious about this, so this is straight from the manual. Judging by what it states, I think your friend may have been a little more responsible for the damage, rather than the temp.

"TEMPERATURE TOO LOW –
TOP DISABLED
This message displays and a sound
will be heard when the power
convertible top button is pressed
and the power convertible top pump
motor temperature is below 0°C (32°
F). Wait for the power convertible
top pump motor to warm up before
using the power convertible top."

Old 03-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
rjinotti

I want to thank you guys for all your input and advise on my question. I decided not to buy the car. It really was a badass ride, but the triple black combo was a deal breaker. The car was super hot even with the top down and it's not even summer yet here in South Florida, and I could definitely feel the extra weight. The car was flawless and had great options, somebody really did garage this thing it was super clean. Thanks again everyone I really appreciate your time and advise and opinions...