Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #1
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Brake fluid going down in reservoir

Hey all, so I've noticed over the last few weeks my brakes feel a bit weaker and the fluid in the reservoir keeps slowly dropping. I did a quick eye/hand check around the calipers and don't see any fluid around the connections and I also looked around the reservoir and didn't see anything. After doing a bit of research I read that the system could be leaking into the brake booster.

Are there any other places I should check?

How do I find where this leak is?

And, how hard/costly is it to replace the brake booster if I need to?

FYI I daily this car M-F, so it's not a garage queen.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
hudson773

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
may not be a leak, as the brakes wear, more fluid is left in the calipers. top it off and check after a week.
hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson773 View Post
may not be a leak, as the brakes wear, more fluid is left in the calipers. top it off and check after a week.
That was the suggestion I put in his other thread he has on this exact problem. If the thought is it is leaking inside the booster then get some wrenches out over turkey day and pull the master cylinder off and look if there’s fluid leaking, but you’ll need to bleed the system after its back together.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
LCPLPunk
USA-1

The reason I didn't think it was the pads is when I checked it initially it was low. I topped it off and then two or so weeks later it was lower again. Now, I did just check it today and it seemed okay, BUT, I had just got done driving the car so I'm not sure if the level would be higher at that point or not.

The other thing leading me to believe it's not the pads is that braking does feel a bit weaker, but...maybe it's in my head.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
Old 11-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
ariZona28

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
You MIGHT be able to remove the fasteners holding the master on to the booster and pull it slightly forward (without removing the lines) and see if there's any fluid between the two. I did this on my old GM A-bodies but there was considerably more room and the lines had more flex to them. Things are a little more cozy on the Camaro.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #6
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
When I had the same concern I researched and found a pretty easy way to check inside the booster. ...Pull off the black vacuum hose going to the booster. (You’ll hear a release of vacuum pressure but that’s ok as it will build again the next time you start the car.). Then carefully remove the rubber grommet that the hose was attached to. Now you’ve got a decent size access hole. Fashion something to reach down inside the booster to swipe around to see if there’s any fluid laying down at the bottom. I used a straightened clothes hanger and q-tip. This worked for me and I didn’t have to upset any brake lines. Thankfully my booster was dry. Reinsert the grommet and plug the hose back on. Good luck.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
When I had the same concern I researched and found a pretty easy way to check inside the booster. ...Pull off the black vacuum hose going to the booster. (You’ll hear a release of vacuum pressure but that’s ok as it will build again the next time you start the car.). Then carefully remove the rubber grommet that the hose was attached to. Now you’ve got a decent size access hole. Fashion something to reach down inside the booster to swipe around to see if there’s any fluid laying down at the bottom. I used a straightened clothes hanger and q-tip. This worked for me and I didn’t have to upset any brake lines. Thankfully my booster was dry. Reinsert the grommet and plug the hose back on. Good luck.
That's a really cool idea. Sometimes you have to get ingenious and think a bit outside the box to to figure these things out without taking everything apart. I have a cheapo Amazon wifi Borescope camera that has built in LEDs. They come in perfectly handy for times like this, as they can flex and reach into nearly any small hole. The app works on my cell phone and allows you to take pictures or videos. I paid $30, but you can spend more and get something with a higher resolution. This also really helped me a lot when I bought my used LS3 last year to check the cylinder bores before I pulled the heads off.

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate.../dp/B01MYTHWK4
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), FlowMaster Outlaw axle back/X-Pipe, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s - Tuned by Ryan @ GPI via HP Tuners
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Thanks! I liked the fact that I didn’t have to loosen anything to do with the brake lines and risk introducing air etc.

That sounds like a great tool to use in the access hole. I need to get me one of those.
You might still want to swipe around in there in case reflective glare or darkness throws off your image and fools you into thinking it’s dry when it’s not.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #9
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Dang guys, great idea, thanks!!! I'm definitely going to give that a try!

Old 12-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #10
KenBaker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This is exactly what I have done as well. Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
KenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote