Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Jeff9962

Drives: 2014 1SS 6M
Pads for NASA Time Trials

I ran for years with NASA Florida running at Sebring with a TTC setup on my 4th gen Trans Am. I was running C6 front brakes, brake ducts, Hawk DTC 70's and Hawk HP+ rear pads. You don't run much of a rear pad on that car or you get really bad wheel hop. Last time out was in 2013.

I'm heading back out for the first time in 6 years but now with a 2014 SS that's bone stock except 20x9 & 20x10 Z28 replicas wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's in a 285/35 20 on all 4 corners. Brake fluid will be flushed with ATE blue and of course all other fluids will be fresh synthetics.

It looks like Hawk DTC 70's front & DTC 60's rear is a good dedicated track setup and just wanted some real world experience with them or any alternatives. I plan to run Centric high carbon blank rotors as I've had great luck with them in the past. First day I'll be in HPDE4 and if all goes well a check ride will put me in TT3 for the second day.
Jeff9962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Jeff9962

I'll respond to my own post in case anybody is searching in the future. This is a bone stock 2014 SS Camaro still running the 4 piston Brembo's.

The Hawk DTC 70 & 60 combination held up very well and this is running in HPDE4 so a fast group. It could use more brakes but it's nothing that's not manageable. When I replace the front pads, if I haven't upgraded the brakes by then, I'll run DTC 80's.

The ATE fluid didn't hold up and I boiled the fluid on the first day. I bled them and they held up for the rest of the event but I'll change to something better for the next event. Probably Motul RBF 660 but I'll decide after some more research. I'm signed off for Time Trials again so the next event I'll really be pushing it and need to be able to count on the brakes. I can't believe how heavy these cars are!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
Msports33

Drives: 214 SS 1LE SCCA T2
I race SCCA T2, and run the six piston Brembos with Hawk DTC 70's in front and blacks in the back to avoid rear when lockup in heavy brake zones.
Msports33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I use the CTS-V 6 pistons and the braking confidence is noticeable on the track. I use the stock "performance pads" for the 6 piston ACDelco 171-1040.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9962 View Post
I'll respond to my own post in case anybody is searching in the future. This is a bone stock 2014 SS Camaro still running the 4 piston Brembo's.

The Hawk DTC 70 & 60 combination held up very well and this is running in HPDE4 so a fast group. It could use more brakes but it's nothing that's not manageable. When I replace the front pads, if I haven't upgraded the brakes by then, I'll run DTC 80's.

The ATE fluid didn't hold up and I boiled the fluid on the first day. I bled them and they held up for the rest of the event but I'll change to something better for the next event. Probably Motul RBF 660 but I'll decide after some more research. I'm signed off for Time Trials again so the next event I'll really be pushing it and need to be able to count on the brakes. I can't believe how heavy these cars are!

Hi Jeff, I think we met that weekend. You were in the red Camaro beside the guy in the Joe in the black ZL1 1LE and the guy in the Vette. Good to meet you and hopefully I'll see you around. I do check out the forums occasionally to see what people are talking about even though I'm not tracking mine anymore. I still may do some autox.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Jeff9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
Hi Jeff, I think we met that weekend. You were in the red Camaro beside the guy in the Joe in the black ZL1 1LE and the guy in the Vette. Good to meet you and hopefully I'll see you around. I do check out the forums occasionally to see what people are talking about even though I'm not tracking mine anymore. I still may do some autox.
Hey Brian, it was good to meet you and I'll be back out for the June event. Pulled the brakes off the car on Saturday and they looked great so really pleased. I'm not even close to being competitive in TT3 so I need to decide which way I'm going to go. Doesn't really matter since it's all fun!

This was my best lap on Saturday, a 2:37.7, and I apologize for the shaky phone mount.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
THE_1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
So the Hawk pads held up although you feel you need a little more? I am doing my first track day in July and its due for a brake change so I was looking to upgrade from OEM Brembo pads and rotors. I originally ordered DBA 4000 series rotors before finding out the rears were back ordered. I bought the Hawk Ceramic pads but after reading more I am seeing Ceramic have less bite than OEM so that concerns me and making me think about other options.

Needless to say, I feel like I am at step 1 again and even thinking about just going back to OEM options.

You seem like you have experience so what would you recommend for a novice track driver on a fairly fast track and from what I hear moderate braking track (Road Atlanta).

Also, my car is not stock and putting down 500rwhp so a little more juice than the stock 1LE.

Thanks for any feedback
THE_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
Jeff9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_1LE View Post
So the Hawk pads held up although you feel you need a little more? I am doing my first track day in July and its due for a brake change so I was looking to upgrade from OEM Brembo pads and rotors. I originally ordered DBA 4000 series rotors before finding out the rears were back ordered. I bought the Hawk Ceramic pads but after reading more I am seeing Ceramic have less bite than OEM so that concerns me and making me think about other options.

Needless to say, I feel like I am at step 1 again and even thinking about just going back to OEM options.
I'm glad you're going to give it a try, it's what your 1LE was born for and you will likely get hooked. For your first event the stock pads and rotors would be just fine but I agree about the ceramic pads. They're not the best choice for a track event where a semi metallic pad is going to do a better job. If you want to upgrade from stock, something along the lines of a Hawk HP Plus will work just fine but they do dust like crazy so you may not want to run them for a street pad but that's a personal choice. I've run them in the past and just dealt with the dust.

I've had great results with the Centric High Carbon Alloy rotors from Rock Auto or the AC Delco ones will work for you as well. Don't get hung up on coated, cryo treated, slotted, drilled, etc. A good quality blank rotor is going to work just fine for you. Mine survived Sebring just fine and I got them hot enough to melt my plastic center caps that I forgot to remove.

The single most important thing when it comes to brakes is a complete flush with a good quality Dot 4 fluid. I would suggest Motul RBF 600 or 660. The ATE Type 200 wasn't enough for me with this car so I would avoid it. It used to work great on my 4th gen Trans Am but that's a lighter car with brake ducts.

Go have fun and just remember it's not a race. The goal is to drive the car home no worse for the wear so check your ego at the gate and listen to your instructor. Road Atlanta is a really fun track and I've never experienced anything like the blind drop off as you blast under the bridge. It's a pucker factor until you get used to it. With your horsepower you're going to be carrying some serious speed down the back straight. There is no need to wait until the last second to jump on the brakes. No harm in lifting and coasting a second or two before you jump on the binders. Have fun and let us know how it works out.