Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #351
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Rumours are always a telephone game. People often assume the juiciest take of what they heard, and then pass that on instead of what was actually meant.

If there is any truth to the engine claim I'd say its partial at best. Meaning, I do not expect that the mid engined car will get exactly 3 engines, the same three that are in the C7. I could see 2 engines, a 'base' model with the LT4 (or LT1 or even the LT5) and a 'halo' with ... something else. So, in a very literal sense it would share 'engines' with the C7 -as they would presumably assemble more than 1 car with that shared engine. That sounds way more plausible than either exclusively borrowing from its sibling or being 100% completely unique.

And I wouldn't use Ferrari as much of a guide for Corvette. GM has much more interest in using the Corvette to embarrass Ferrari at a substantially lower price than in cloning their business model. Creating unique engines just to have unique engines is expensive. And if they're not better than what already exists, its rather pointless too. The people that would scoff at sharing engines with 'lesser' cars are the same ones that would scoff at buying a Corvette in the first place, so they're unlikely to lose too many sales.
I love when this Dude start to talk
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #352
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Added weight would be a disappointment but 500 hp from a 6.2 LTx seems reasonable.

A 5.5 flat plane crank doesn't make sense, especially making 600+ hp. The Voodoo vibrated itself to pieces at 5.2 liters, let alone 5.5 liters.
Haven't you heard though, it would be designed by GM so it would be like it was built by the hand of god with no chance of vibrating to pieces and would somehow also make insane low end torque while revving to 8K
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #353
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Rumours are always a telephone game. People often assume the juiciest take of what they heard, and then pass that on instead of what was actually meant.

If there is any truth to the engine claim I'd say its partial at best. Meaning, I do not expect that the mid engined car will get exactly 3 engines, the same three that are in the C7. I could see 2 engines, a 'base' model with the LT4 (or LT1 or even the LT5) and a 'halo' with ... something else. So, in a very literal sense it would share 'engines' with the C7 -as they would presumably assemble more than 1 car with that shared engine. That sounds way more plausible than either exclusively borrowing from its sibling or being 100% completely unique.

And I wouldn't use Ferrari as much of a guide for Corvette. GM has much more interest in using the Corvette to embarrass Ferrari at a substantially lower price than in cloning their business model. Creating unique engines just to have unique engines is expensive. And if they're not better than what already exists, its rather pointless too. The people that would scoff at sharing engines with 'lesser' cars are the same ones that would scoff at buying a Corvette in the first place, so they're unlikely to lose too many sales.
Well...there is a history of Corvette getting unique (or very very limited) engines..the LT5, the LS9..the LS6..
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #354
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Well...there is a history of Corvette getting unique (or very very limited) engines..the LT5, the LS9..the LS6..
But which Cars has this unique engines? The Halo ones
Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #355
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
If a Corvette shares its engines with a different Corvette ... isn't it still unique to Corvette? Having two very different Corvettes could make for some interesting philosophical questions.

At any rate, the history of those engines is that they were on the range toppers. What if there are two (or more) trims for the mid engined car? The base model can still share engines with something else while leaving room for something more powerful/exotic/rare above. At this point, what that something else would be is anyones guess.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #356
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i'm guessing there will be some differences in the engines in the two cars, i think there's even some speculation of a hybrid for the mid engine, and i'm glad the front engine model will continue.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #357
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I would have the front engine Corvette stick around and call the mod engine “Zora”.

The corvette would go from base to Z06, with the Z06 going back to light weight, n/a power, manual and fixed roof only.

The Zora would come in with the Z06 engine, auto and manual, fixed roof, removable roof and convertible options. Then move on to the supercharged and hybrid versions.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #358
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
I would have the front engine Corvette stick around and call the mod engine “Zora”.

The corvette would go from base to Z06, with the Z06 going back to light weight, n/a power, manual and fixed roof only.

The Zora would come in with the Z06 engine, auto and manual, fixed roof, removable roof and convertible options. Then move on to the supercharged and hybrid versions.
The Zora could be a Corvair too
Old 05-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #359
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Based on GM’s recent Corvette reveals, they will probably show it off in France or some place really random.
You know that until the car appears at the Nurburgring you should not speculate when it will be revealed
Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #360
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
The Zora could be a Corvair too
Sure, but the Corvair was a rear engine car and has a less than stellar reputation. Zora was the man that made the Corvette what it is, and wanted a mid engine car for most of his career. Honoring him makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
You know that until the car appears at the Nurburgring you should not speculate when it will be revealed
I said nothing about when it will be revealed.

Besides, we didn't see the 5th gen Z/28 on the Ring, until after it had been revealed.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:35 PM   #361
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Haven't you heard though, it would be designed by GM so it would be like it was built by the hand of god with no chance of vibrating to pieces and would somehow also make insane low end torque while revving to 8K
I’d take that as sarcasm if GM hadn’t pulled off the impossible with countless small blocks already. Almost no car enthusiast buys a car and says, “man, I wish I had something other than this Chevy small block in here. I think I’ll take it out and put an ecoboost in it.”
Old 06-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #362
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I’d take that as sarcasm if GM hadn’t pulled off the impossible with countless small blocks already. Almost no car enthusiast buys a car and says, “man, I wish I had something other than this Chevy small block in here. I think I’ll take it out and put an ecoboost in it.”
That was for sure meant to be a comical post lol. Mostly because a lot of people here like to give the VooDoo crap but if GM did a FPC suddenly FPC's would be the best thing ever
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #363
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
What impossible feats has GM accomplished with the small block, that no other manufacturer has?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #364
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
What impossible feats has GM accomplished with the small block, that no other manufacturer has?
As far back as the LS1 in the 4th gen they were able to make a low 5 second 0-60 Camaro that was also capable of just under 30mpg. Until the recent Mustang offerings GM always had an advantage in HP and torque in their NA engines over the competition. The new LT5 is set to put the hellcat to shame.