Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Safe to do cat delete on N/A V6?

I've heard alot of talk about back pressure and all of that type of stuff, i've heard the ladder; "turbo cars need more back pressure" "N/A cars dont need back pressure" "turbo cars need as little back pressure as possible" "only do a cat delete if your car is F/A"

My car is a 2010 v6 LLT, i want to delete both cats, is it safe for the motor?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Their only purpose is for emissions
Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22

If you live somewhere where cats are required to be street legal and require emission tests then you may want to consider keeping the cats, or replacing them with high-flow cats, but if not then feel free to remove them - as mention the cats merely reduce emissions.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
If you live in LA you probably need all 4 of your cats.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
She’ll be a raspy fart can without cats. Get a decent cat back or axle back instead.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
If you live in LA you probably need all 4 of your cats.
A few big dogs are better.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylortoons View Post
She’ll be a raspy fart can without cats. Get a decent cat back or axle back instead.

lmao V8 Hate XD
Old 07-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Sorry OP not trying to be a hater, just saying your car will be raspy as hell without cats. If that’s ok with you then go for it. You don’t have to worry about back pressure unless you’re running straight pipe from front to back.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
lmao V8 Hate XD
Quote:
Sorry OP not trying to be a hater, just saying your car will be raspy as hell without cats. If that’s ok with you then go for it. You don’t have to worry about back pressure unless you’re running straight pipe from front to back.
I don't see this as being "V8 Hate". It's true. V6 owners need to be very careful with their choice of exhaust. If they're not, their poor Camaro could end up sounding like a Honda Civic. It's better to be honest, rather than beat around the bush.

OP, I'd listen to some YouTube clips and get a feel for which set-ups sound good. Trust me, do it right the first time.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
A few big dogs are better.

I am a dog person after all, but hey, California, cats, I feel like it goes together, namsayen'

I feel like everyone that says a catless V6 is raspy could turn the negativity into something positive and simply say if you delete your cats, get the Magnaflow 11386 resonated x pipe. The same response should be given when someone talks about wanting to straight pipe their car. It's not that hard guys. My car is catless and it isn't raspy for that exact reason. I get compliments from people all the time. There are SS / GT / SRT8 guys that stop and chat because they recognize my car by the sound.

I bought my NPP off a ZL1 forum member too, because he wanted to help someone else on the forum. Little effort goes a long way guys.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
seishuku

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Doesn't sound raspy to me, nor does it sound like a civic either... But it also doesn't sound like a V8.

seishuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #12
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I am a dog person after all, but hey, California, cats, I feel like it goes together, namsayen'

I feel like everyone that says a catless V6 is raspy could turn the negativity into something positive and simply say if you delete your cats, get the Magnaflow 11386 resonated x pipe. The same response should be given when someone talks about wanting to straight pipe their car. It's not that hard guys. My car is catless and it isn't raspy for that exact reason. I get compliments from people all the time. There are SS / GT / SRT8 guys that stop and chat because they recognize my car by the sound.

I bought my NPP off a ZL1 forum member too, because he wanted to help someone else on the forum. Little effort goes a long way guys.

Thank you, i hate when i post something that gets turned into something completely different. But would you know if the resonated x pipe would kill the loudness?

Anyways. To everyone else thank you for the information, i know it will be raspy. I don't have resonators right now, and with the mrt v1, i love the sound, but i want it louder. So i'm doing the cat delete and getting the res x pipe
Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 AM   #13
Camaro85

Drives: 2015 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
Thank you, i hate when i post something that gets turned into something completely different. But would you know if the resonated x pipe would kill the loudness?

Anyways. To everyone else thank you for the information, i know it will be raspy. I don't have resonators right now, and with the mrt v1, i love the sound, but i want it louder. So i'm doing the cat delete and getting the res x pipe
You never mentioned before about adding a res x pipe. So of course people are going to comment and let you know that deleting cats and resonator will make the car sound like a raspy riced out Honda.
Camaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Quote:
Originally Posted by seishuku View Post
Doesn't sound raspy to me, nor does it sound like a civic either... But it also doesn't sound like a V8.

sounds really good
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote