Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Help! Want outside advice about upgrading to SS

I currently have a 2011 Camaro v6 with about 5200 miles on it. This was my very first new car and as much as I do love it, I wish i knew before what I know now. And because this was my first new car I'm still quite new to bargaining and haggling. Not knowing how to approach or what to say exactly kinda hurts me. I'm in quite the predicament now being upside down and wanting to upgrade. I know I know, all this coulda been avoided if I went big the first time. Unfortunately since its not the case, I just have to work with the hand i have now.

Here is the current situation, my car is about 4 months old excellent condition with 5200 miles on it, KBB lists it as about 25k trade in and 27k private sale. unfortunately i owe 31k on it b/c of a previous vehicle was rolled on. Im patiently waiting for the right vehicle to show its face but if it did I have no idea how to exactly bargain it down to the right price. Obviously because of my situation used 2010 would be my best bet which i have no problem getting. But I have no idea how to approach or what to say. Here is a prime example.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a local hyundai dealership b/c i saw what i thought was a great deal. A 2010 1SS White with 13k miles on it for 29.5. It was the exact color I wanted with options I wanted. Went in to talk to a salesman about the vehicle and to get his offer on my car. 23k. I thanked him gave him my number and walked out lol. Plain and simple. The more I think about the situation I'm in the more it sucks. I'm trying to get a very popular vehicle thats highly sought after which is probably gonna be simple to sale off their lot for that price. So why would they work with me to try and get me in it?

It's pretty easy to stay positive about the whole thing considering that i'm already in a camaro. So no matter what dealership i go to I'm still gonna be driving away in one lol. Anyways like I said if my fellow camaro brothers and sisters could give me any tips, tricks and advice i would be incredibly grateful!! Love this website and all of you guys! Thanks again!

P.S.
I dont know if it matters but a bit of insight. When purchasing my current camaro I didnt really research as much as i could. From stock everything was perfect. Its the modding potential that is giving me the upgrading mentality. Seeing how the SS is far above the V6.
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
if you can afford it, then go ahead. IMHO your wasting your money...and should stay away from car dealerships.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Used SS.

Cheap, and you get instant 400hp to start with.

Worthless to upgrade a v6 tbh because its going to take you a couple grand just to match an SS yet you won't have the upgraded brakes suspension etc.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Here we go again!! :-) I went from the 6 to the 8 and never looked back. These are two very different cars.If you have the mod bug, very easy to catch around this joint, then get the SS. Good Luck!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
I think I must of mis-worded the advice i was asking for. SS upgrade is what I want. No question about that. What advice i was looking for is haggling advice and tips, considering my situation and experience it is gonna be tough.
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
if you are underwater on your current car, it would be a really dumb decision to trade for another, more expensive car. /thread
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
You are already upside down on your current car loan. Get your finances straightened out before you get into a deeper hole.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
If I would had the money I would have got the SS.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Your best bet may be to revisit the dealer you purchased the V6 from. Your original salesperson should at least be interested in keeping you as a customer. I was around 4K upside down on my 1LT/RS when I got my SS and I worked with my original salesperson. I don't think you'll do any better walking in cold somewhere else.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
I just traded my 2011 1LT RS for 23k two weeks ago. I went to 4 other dealerships and that was the highest they would offer me, it had 4900 miles. I believe you won't see that much higher for your trade.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
woolfman72

Drives: Black 1LT RS
I am in your position . I am anxiously waiting to trade my 1lt rs for a 1ss. The car i was driving (2004 toyota rav4) was paid off . But the wife wanted me to trade in her car (2008 kia) after all said and done we were 5k upside down in her car.

So now it just does not make financial sense for me to trade in the car again . If going by what others have said that makes me about 7k upside down in my camaro . So i am currently paying 50 to 100 bucks extra a month on my car. I expect a 100 dollar a week raise here soon and will be putting my raise towards paying down my car also. So maybe by the end of next year i can make the upgrade!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
You owe more on your current car than it's worth because you rolled in negative equity from a previous vehicle, and you want to repeat the process all over again because 5 months later and you're unhappy with the brand new car you just bought?

I'm just asking, because that's how I read your original post.

I'm about to have a Suzy Orman moment here...if you don't know who she is, I'd suggest you start watching her show.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Harley1

Drives: Ahh....DCB F29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
if you are underwater on your current car, it would be a really dumb decision to trade for another, more expensive car. /thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
You are already upside down on your current car loan. Get your finances straightened out before you get into a deeper hole.
This........
Harley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
denny2188

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
Looks like you made your first mistake long ago....think about it......you rolled over 1 car you still owed on......and now you want to roll over another????? Think....Think
denny2188 is offline   Reply With Quote