Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #43
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I usually run 50/50 mid-premium, I think my car has only seen 87 4-5 times in the last year or so. I just got 9.5l/100km highway and that was quite spirited driving, usually 11l/100km in the city. I just feel better using higher gas, and notice mileage is a bit better with premium.
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #44
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Love this thread , full of guys who know their stuff to guys to those who dont know jackshit and just spit out whatever their brains tell them to with no ideal of what they are talking about .
I always run 91 No Ethanol top tier gas only,, well almost always always ,the wife this week had the car and decided to fill it up with crap 87 corn meal garbage gas, Oh the pain ,I cant wait to get that crap out of the tank. and with the 5hp gain I will take it , might be the difference of winning or losing , and I do not support corn industry and this joke of Ethanol .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #45
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Love this thread , full of guys who know their stuff to guys to those who dont know jackshit and just spit out whatever their brains tell them to with no ideal of what they are talking about .
I always run 91 No Ethanol top tier gas only,, well almost always always ,the wife this week had the car and decided to fill it up with crap 87 corn meal garbage gas, Oh the pain ,I cant wait to get that crap out of the tank. and with the 5hp gain I will take it , might be the difference of winning or losing , and I do not support corn industry and this joke of Ethanol .
Tried to find the original thread with the Dyno.

Can't find it, but found one post that alluded to a nearly 15 HP difference between 87 octane and 92 octane.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...69&postcount=5

I think there are dyno sheets linked, but the links are broken.

15 HP is definitely worth it. Also, if we're really pulling 20 degrees of timing, it's likely that fuel economy is impacted, no?
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #46
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
You're suggesting that it's about 20 HP for an L99? vs 5 HP for the LLT?

(I'm assuming an L99 should have something like 20% drivetrain loss?
Actually no, I'm stating what I've read previously. I suggested no hp figures for the LLT or the LFX. And if you want to see about the L99...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36837
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38838
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38872
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39028

For the LFX, though.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=34

Anyway. Everyone that wants to save money, run 87 octane. Everyone that wants maximum performance and efficiency, run 91 or 93 (whatever you can get). /thread

Edit: I also recall seeing Matt@FSP tune an LFX to 89 octane and pick up around 20whp... I know tuning isn't the argument, but it was also an 89 octane tune, not 91 or 93. That's a statement.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #47
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Tried to find the original thread with the Dyno.

Can't find it, but found one post that alluded to a nearly 15 HP difference between 87 octane and 92 octane.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...69&postcount=5

I think there are dyno sheets linked, but the links are broken.

15 HP is definitely worth it. Also, if we're really pulling 20 degrees of timing, it's likely that fuel economy is impacted, no?
I think you are right , I remember a thread about a half year or so ago , And this guy knew a ton about the subject and how the HP increased and how it was better for your car , I have no ideal what thread it was but it is out there somewhere . He said the V6 needsdoes much better with how hot it burns
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #48
DSX_Camaro

Here's an LLT Cadillac, for anyone that wants it. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=118
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #49
Mnelson

Drives: 2014 1ls
Those of that understand the difference between 87 and 93 and The difference between advanced timing and RETARDED timing will continue to run quality gas in out engines. Those who only know what their salesman told them will continue to run 87 from WalMart.
Mnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #50
stevey_frac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Here's an LLT Cadillac, for anyone that wants it. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=118

That's nearly 30 HP at 3k RPM, and 45-ish HP at 4k RPM. Difference really dies off by 5k RPM, and virtually no difference at peak.

That's a hell of a lot of bottom end grunt you're leaving on the table running 87.

Damnit, now I have to burn 3/4 of a tank of 87 out of my car before I can try 93.

Did a scanguage run a and can confirm that my car appears to be running spark advances similar to those found in the 'low octane' table for the LFX. I think anyways. I'm getting around 6 degrees of spark advance near redline at full throttle with an IAT of 14C, and the high octane chart suggests I should be seeing 20-ish degrees, if I'm reading that correctly.

Thanks for those who posted up those charts, and links to the dyno. Very informative.

--Steve

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #51
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
Do the two timing chart graphs both represent a bone stock situation? In other words did the stock ECM programing adjust to the higher levels or did it take an aftermarket tuner to achieve it?

Does anyone have a dyno comparison on a bone stock V6 between 87 and 91? If premium is worth 30 hp I might have to make the switch.
I have not tuned my LFX. That is a bone stock 2013 Camaro 1LS tune you are looking at. I'm keeping my warranty and not tuning my daily driver until the powertrain is up. Then I will have my fun.

I just hooked up my HPTuners and read my stock file off of the car so I can see what parameters can and can't be changed, see what's going on, etc.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #52
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
That's nearly 30 HP at 3k RPM, and 45-ish HP at 4k RPM. Difference really dies off by 5k RPM, and virtually no difference at peak.

That's a hell of a lot of bottom end grunt you're leaving on the table running 87.

Damnit, now I have to burn 3/4 of a tank of 87 out of my car before I can try 93.

Did a scanguage run a and can confirm that my car appears to be running spark advances similar to those found in the 'low octane' table for the LFX. I think anyways. I'm getting around 6 degrees of spark advance near redline at full throttle with an IAT of 14C, and the high octane chart suggests I should be seeing 20-ish degrees, if I'm reading that correctly.

Thanks for those who posted up those charts, and links to the dyno. Very informative.

--Steve
Yes, you are reading it right. And in theory (clearly not in practice... or maybe the LFX is different from the LLT Cadillac graph I posted) on 93 you should be running more power at redline than you would on 87 due to the spark advance... but I'm not fully sure.

Anyway. Report back your results when you switch!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #53
stevey_frac

I'm wondering if the high octane table in the LFX is for E85?

The LLT doesn't have this capability, and it would make sense to have much more aggressive timing for E85, would it not?

Still haven't burned through this tank of 87... It'll take a few more days.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #54
DSX_Camaro

Highly doubt it. E85 requires it's own quite different (from what I understand) fuel pump. The Camaro isn't Flexfuel, too.

And, to be fair, HPTuners hasn't released a full suite for the LLT I think... and that's how we found the octane tables for the LFX. IIRC for all.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #55
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
I'm wondering if the high octane table in the LFX is for E85?

The LLT doesn't have this capability, and it would make sense to have much more aggressive timing for E85, would it not?

Still haven't burned through this tank of 87... It'll take a few more days.
The LFX ECU has multiple tables for running Ethanol, in 10% increments IIRC. Unfortunately we don't have the sensor in our in-tank fuel pump to detect the percentage of ethanol content automatically (the Impala does) and use the tables. You will have to tune your car if you want to run E85.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #56
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
You want to see what your ECM is using between the two? This alone has me using 93 octane in my LFX every fill-up.

Here are the stock 2013 LFX spark advance tables that I pulled off of my car. Just look at the insane difference between timing between high and low octane.

High Octane Timing:

Low Octane Timing:

Thank you for posting this! I've been waiting for something like this for years.

Now we know how much it benefits. No more debates
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote