Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Please post on this thread if your steering wheel adjustment lever fell off.

About 2 years ago I was driving on the highway & felt something hit my leg and because I had no clue what it could be I pulled over. Come to find out it was the lever you push down to change the steering wheel tilt & telescope.

I have since heard of several people that have had this happen. No question that it has to be an assembly issue because how could anyone make that lever fall off? My 2010 was way out of warranty so I knew there was nothing the dealer would do except charge me to put it back in. I took the car to my cousin that owns a repair shop and he told me after looking at it that it is quite a job to get under the dash where the lever attaches. He said he didn't even want to mess with it for fear of damaging something.

I think this is something that GM should make arrangements to get fixed at no cost. If you have had this lever Fallout please post on this thread the year of your car. If you have put it back on or had it put back on what kind of time and/or cost was it?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
If this happened to me while I was driving, I would crap in your pants.

You would think this is a major safety issue. Has GM even looked at yours yet? You never know, something like this may get taken care of free of charge. It's worth having them look at it.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
While it didn't happen to me, it did happen to a friend of mine in his 2014 ZL1. We were finishing up a drive and he went to park the car and felt something hit his leg and then found the lever on his floorboard.

Edit: Added info, he has not had the part reinstalled.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Was looking around, there are some other threads on this too. I see you were the thread creator on one of them.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379075
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364254
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403848
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377076
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468438

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Had it happen twice now in my 12 ZL1. Took it to dealer first time, took them 5 min to put it back on. At the time they said it is just pressed on. There is no pin or bolt or anything to secure it. The last time it happened (couple months a go) I put it back on myself. Just removed the shroud around steering column, and pressed it back on the best I could. I'm sure it will happen again. I can fix it in about 10 minutes now.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Had it happen twice now in my 12 ZL1. Took it to dealer first time, took them 5 min to put it back on. At the time they said it is just pressed on. There is no pin or bolt or anything to secure it. The last time it happened (couple months a go) I put it back on myself. Just removed the shroud around steering column, and pressed it back on the best I could. I'm sure it will happen again. I can fix it in about 10 minutes now.
Holy cow! not secured on? that sounds like a huge safety hazard! Recall inducing safety hazard!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 AM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
I did take it to the dealer & they said I will have to leave the car because it's a couple hour repair. I asked if there was a TSB on this problem & the service mgr told me no but there should be one because they have had to fix many of them.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 AM   #9
OHIOSS
Russ

Yeah I know that, I want to know HOW MANY owners have had this happen. I want to see if it's a problem with a specific year and/or model.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
If you look at others that have had the lever fall off they sure didn't get theirs fixed in 5 minutes. I read that the whole steering column needed to be replaced, others said they had to leave their car @ the dealer because the repair takes several hours. The service mgr @ the dealer where I bought my SS told me that I would have to leave the car because it's not an easy fix. Maybe your 2012 is different than my 2010?
Old 07-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #11
YEVNTRY

Drives: Camaro 1LT
This happened to my 2015, The steering wheel is just locked in place. I was able to sneak the lever out but I didn’t find any screw that fell off on the floor so I’m assuming it does get pressed back into place?
YEVNTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:07 AM   #12
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Holy cow! not secured on? that sounds like a huge safety hazard! Recall inducing safety hazard!
How is it safety related? You know old cars didn't have adjustable steering wheels. if the lever falls off, all that happens is you can't adjust the wheel it has no effect on the ability to drive the car and no safety concern. If the wheel was becoming "unlocked" that would be more of a concern, but that isn't what is happening.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote