Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
navyflyer72

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd, BLK/CYB GRY
Gary's fenders and more - Fender/Front Fascia Removal & Replacement

COMING SOON. I ordered Gary's vented fenders, T3 scoops & LED's, Heritage Grill and Street Scenes lower grill. I will be taking MANY pictures to document the removal of the damaged (front end collision) front fascia and impact bar, and the fenders, and the installation of the new parts.

Trying to figure out what GFX/Splitter I will get, like the Dusk Camaro GFX, but no one is making that yet, so when I figure that out I will post the install of that also.

Hopefully these will answer a lot of peoples questions about how to do this. Stay tuned to this post.

Cheers,
George

Last edited by navyflyer72; 07-12-2010 at 07:15 AM.
navyflyer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
RuffEL
Semper Fi! Do or DIE!

Drives: '10 camaro 1SS, '02 silverado 1500
have you found a good parts dealer for the other fascia parts needed? like the upper bracket and outter bracket for the side marker lights and the fender connection points? ive found them for cheap for mine but the site RAPES you on shipping fees.

i went through www.gmpartsdirect.com and you can find some good deals on there (dont get freaked out how cheap they are until you see the shipping they charge tho)

if you found a better parts supplier let me know...i had a front end collision and am going to upgrade the stock shit too so im paying outta pocket
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffEL View Post
have you found a good parts dealer for the other fascia parts needed? like the upper bracket and outter bracket for the side marker lights and the fender connection points? ive found them for cheap for mine but the site RAPES you on shipping fees.

i went through www.gmpartsdirect.com and you can find some good deals on there (dont get freaked out how cheap they are until you see the shipping they charge tho)

if you found a better parts supplier let me know...i had a front end collision and am going to upgrade the stock shit too so im paying outta pocket
Huh!!???
-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
navyflyer72

See below replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffEL View Post

i went through www.gmpartsdirect.com and you can find some good deals on there (dont get freaked out how cheap they are until you see the shipping they charge tho) I bought a bunch of parts through Patrick at www.gmpartsdirect.com the prices were great and the shipping seemed normal, but they are in Pennsylvania and I am only about 170 miles away in Maryland.

The other parts - Heritage Grill, Street Scenes lower grill and T3 ports I bought from Gary at Garys Customs. Fenders will be here soon!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Fenders will be done this weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
cool, can't wait to see the pics.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
navyflyer72

OK a bunch of the parts from Gary arrived today so I took a few pictures of the pieces that came:

They came in 2 boxes, well packaged and protected with soft wrap to protect the paint and bubble wrap to separate the pieces and protect from impacts.

In the larger box was the Heritage Grill which Gary had shot in black for me. It also had the T3 ports, led kit, and adhesives and instructions and Black Chrome/Gloss Black read bowtie.

In the smaller box was the Street scenes lower grill which Gary had also shot black.

My next step is to get the ports installed in the GM bumper cover and have it all shot black. I got the bumper cover from Patrick at www.gmpartshouse.com I also received the impact bar and energy absorber from Patrick also, their shipping is REALLY fast! I am ordering the lower radiator shielding and a new driver side headlight assembly this week also.

Hopefully by the time the bumper cover is shot I will have received the vented fenders from Gary and I will be ready for tear down and assembly.

Here are a few teaser pictures, more to come as I move through the DIY.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
navyflyer72

Thanks Gary! Looking forward to getting them, I am having the bumper cover assembled with the T3 ports and shot this week, so it should be perfect timing!

Everything else looks great, can't wait to get it all installed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange10s.c. View Post
Fenders will be done this weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:49 AM   #9
BWProductions
StormTrooper

Drives: SW 2SS/RS Vert with Beige top soon
cool I cant wait to see it done
BWProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
navyflyer72

OK, As promised, I have the T3 ports installed into the new bumper cover, all painted, the heritage grill from Gary that he painted (looks great) and the street scenes lower grill.

Well there is my first issue. The lower grill is not quite installed yet. The ports were double sided taped in and then when trying to line up the tabs on the center grill section to attach the grill to the bumper cover the grill doesn't quite fit and pushed the ports out of the opening.

If anyone has run into this issue let me know how you fixed it, the only way I can see to make this work is to take the ports out and trim them a bit (1/4") to allow the grill to slide forward so the attachment locations line up.

Also got my headlight armor (tinted) so that should be going on this weekend. Just waiting on those fenders from Gary, which I am told will be early next week... Killed my planning, this was my only "free" weekend for a while, Gary you owe me on that one. I'll be down in Florida in October... I want a ride in your beast as payment!

Now for a teaser picture and pics of my Street Scenes issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by navyflyer72; 08-13-2010 at 07:58 PM.
navyflyer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
navyflyer72

Now the Street Scenes issue. The ports on either side of the lower grill get double sided tapped in. Then you install the billet grill in between by lining up tabs on the grill with plastic tabs on the bumper cover and drilling through them self taping fasteners.

You will see in the following pictures the issue is that the billet grill is bent at too great an angle, or the ports have too much of a lip so when you push the grill forward into the opening from behind the bumper cover the edges of the grill start to press the ports out and separate them from the double sided tape.

Pictures show in order:

#1 - Driver side gap in tabs from back side of bumper cover
#2 - Driver side gap with the port being pushed back into position (as it would be when taped in place)
#3 - Passenger side gap in tabs from back side of bumper cover
#4 - Driver side port being pushed out by grill from the front

If anyone has had this install issue, please post a solution, or if this is an unsat/defective part that needs replaced, let me know also. It appears that the grill is not bent back enough off center (the crease is too shallow).
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
I've often wondered how the big ports would look on a black car. Looks MEAN! what are you going to put behind them? are ypu planning to re-install any kind of fog light?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
navyflyer72

initially I'm going to use the LED light strip that ACS sells for these ports, to see how they look. I may epoxy a black painted steel mesh to the back of the ports, to hide the inner bumper, gotta wait to see how it looks when the bumper is installed, which should be late this week or early next week. Just waiting on a new headlight to be delivered (the driver side had a tab broken off in the accident, so it was hanging slightly down). So if that and a few small parts come in from GM parts warehouse (Thanks a million again Patrick!) I will be read to get her all back together. Crossing fingers!

Pictures soon!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post
initially I'm going to use the LED light strip that ACS sells for these ports, to see how they look. I may epoxy a black painted steel mesh to the back of the ports, to hide the inner bumper, gotta wait to see how it looks when the bumper is installed, which should be late this week or early next week. Just waiting on a new headlight to be delivered (the driver side had a tab broken off in the accident, so it was hanging slightly down). So if that and a few small parts come in from GM parts warehouse (Thanks a million again Patrick!) I will be read to get her all back together. Crossing fingers!

Pictures soon!
Did you ever get a solution for the S.Scene lower grille? I just bought/dropped mine off at my dealer since they are fixing my wing. I told them why its there, go ahead and install the grille. I'm hoping they aren't having any issues putting it on...

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 09-23-2010 at 12:45 AM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote