Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
DJDBumblebee

Drives: 2012 2LS Coupe
Exclamation Strange whirring noise coming from AC but it's NOT the AC Compressor!!!

https://youtu.be/vmF3yIlddCE

I'm completely confused by what this noise could be. I know for sure it isn't the blend door. I replaced it a year ago by cutting through the trim by the drivers side floorboard. It's still accessible and that's not the issue, as the sound is not coming from down there. I certainly didn't hit the heater core, either, so it's not related to the blend door. I replaced the cabin air filter a few weeks ago hoping it would fix it, but it changed nothing. I'll check the fresh air plumbing, but it doesn't do it for any other vents when the fresh air is active, so I doubt it's that, either. My car is garage kept and I don't park under trees, so I can't think of how anything may have wound up in there. The serpentine belt is new, replaced it last month, and I had the compressor replaced today. If I take out the AC compressor fuse, the noise stops, but it just simply isn't possible for both my old AC compressor and my new one to be making the same sound. It sounds like a bearing in a fan, coming from where the windshield meets the dash and can be heard from both inside and outside the vehicle.

If you turn the volume up and hold the speaker up to your ear, or use headphones, you can hear it clearly in the video.

I'm at a loss. Please help me. No one knows what it is and I can't get any help.
DJDBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
DJDBumblebee

For sure it's not the AC compressor or the alternator. Had them both replaced now and it's still making the same sound, and it's getting worse. Please, someone help.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Is there an idling issue?
I noticed at the end of the video the RPMs were jumping to 2K.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
DJDBumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Is there an idling issue?
I noticed at the end of the video the RPMs were jumping to 2K.
Yes, I have an idling issue most of the time. When I'm sitting at a light or sitting with it in park, it'll often feel like the RPMs are dropping and feel like it's going to die. I have to put it in neutral and rev it up a little to stop it. Then it won't do it again for a little while.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
It almost sounds like a power steering pump. Check to see if the PS pump is going out and the extra load the AC Compressor puts on the system when it's running causes the PS pump to whine. Also when you replaced the compressor, did you replace the clutch on it?
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:22 AM   #6
DJDBumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
It almost sounds like a power steering pump. Check to see if the PS pump is going out and the extra load the AC Compressor puts on the system when it's running causes the PS pump to whine. Also when you replaced the compressor, did you replace the clutch on it?
Yes, I replaced the entire compressor, including the clutch bearing assembly, which came on the new compressor. The whole compressor was new, not rebuilt or remanufactured. Even replaced the AC compressor twice and it is still making the same exact noise, so there's no way it's the AC compressor or the clutch. I'll check out the PS pump today and report back. Do you think it could possibly be the Harmonic Balancer? I have a slight oil leak coming from that area, around the timing cover, and I'm thinking it may be a faulty Harmonic Balancer causing the gasket to be exposed to heat. I've had 15 people look at it, had the serpentine belt, AC compressor and alternator replaced, and no one knows what it is. It's unbelievable that I can't find anyone who can diagnose this noise that's getting louder. All I get are shrugged shoulders and rubbed chins. Please help me. I would greatly appreciate it. The noise is driving me crazy.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Try this, with the engine off unplug the AC compressor then start the car and try to make the noise.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
DJDBumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
Try this, with the engine off unplug the AC compressor then start the car and try to make the noise.
I've taken out the fuse for the AC compressor in the past and it doesn't make the noise at all. But it cannot possibly be the AC compressor or the clutch bearing assembly on the front.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:13 PM   #9
PaulsSS

Sorry but you ARE hearing the compressor. I'm not sure why it worries you so? Mine does the same as they all do.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:30 PM   #10
DJDBumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
Sorry but you ARE hearing the compressor. I'm not sure why it worries you so? Mine does the same as they all do.
It's NOT normal, and it's gotten A LOT louder and worse since the video was posted! It's not normal for it to drown out the stereo and it's not normal to have people turning around to look when I am sitting at a stoplight because of this weird extremely loud noise. I bought the car new and it only started doing this in the past few months. It's a pulley driven noise because it gets louder with acceleration up to a very loud whine that sounds like a bearing going bad. I have listened to 20 other Camaro's and no other Camaro, makes this noise, so NO I am NOT hearing the compressor. It may be the tensioner, Idler pulley or the water pump. I ruled out the alternator, a/c compressor and power steering pump. It also has a new serpentine belt that was replaced as soon as it started making this weird noise. I need help with this as soon as possible so I am not stranded on the side of the road with a belt that has slipped off because of a bearing in a pulley going bad that may seize up. As I said before, I have had 3 different, brand new, A/C compressors put on it to rule it out so it is not the A/C compressor sound that I am hearing. It's so bad now that it growls loudly at an idle and screeches at high speeds. All anyone can do is shrug their shoulders, rub their chin and say it's the A/C compressor. It never made this noise before and I've driven it for 8 going on 9 years now. This sound is not normal and whatever it is, it's going out and needs to be replaced asap!
Old 01-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #11
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
No way to truly diagnose it remotely but it I've had some luck tracking these type noises with a stethoscope https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html. It could be a idler pulley that doesn't like the extra load of the ac, assuming the V6 uses an idle on the AC belt. The SS doesn't.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #12
PaulsSS

It could be over charged, that will cause the compressor to sound a bit louder. Whats the mileage on the car? If you removed the fuse and the noise stopped its a safe bet its the compressor. You could try letting some charge out, these newer systems are very touchy to the amount of charge. Even a very small amount over will cause issues. Sorry but its tough over the net trying to help. Another possibility is the 1st compressor was failing and contaminated the system. If the entire system wasn't properly cleaned every new compressor will be loud because of debris left in the system going through the new compressor. I'm betting this is your trouble.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #13
md30095

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual
A few months ago my AC was making a whirring noise if I let the rpm’s climb without switching gears, and had the fans put on a high setting. It went away on its own though. Really not sure what it could be.
md30095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:54 PM   #14
HughJass
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy Camaro, Dodge Viper
So, the a/c compressor was replaced. Was the ac clutch replaced or the original clutch reinstalled on the new compressor?
HughJass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, noise, sound, whirring