Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportImage View Post
What do you want to do with the car? drag, street etc...

the 98's didn't have probalems with the sail pannel, and also have a larger cam than most ls1's. their computers suck compared to the 99+.

99- decent but no ls6 manifold
00- same
01- ls6 intake is a huge plus, but the rings sucked and sail pannel problems- I have one and it has the problem, and is expensive to fix correctly- have had my top redone twice now. still bubbles- it is the 3mm glue that is the problem.
02- same as above but have different piston rings that hold together much better.

Almost all ls1's in the 4th gen burn oil, check the color of the oil, tranny fluid- especially if it is a auto, and rear end fluid. If there is a noise coming from the rear- most likely the rear is going to need some work- 12 bolt if auto 9 in. if 6spd- both are around 2,500-3,300.

if you have any questions just pm me and I can point you in the right direction.
everything he said is correct.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #16
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'm basically going to be using it as the evening/weekend car. I'm stuck in the Saab during work days, and while I love it to bits, I want something a bit more fun for my off time. So if anything of the ones you mentioned, street. Drag is not my thing, and I want something cooler then the Volvos and ricers around here.

Good tips about what to look out for though, thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
ImportImage

Drives: 2012 GTR, 2009 GTR
Send a message via AIM to ImportImage
Also look at the doors and dash, as they have had problems cracking if people didn't take care of them. I don't think I have seen a drivers side door that didn't have at least a little crack at the top of the plastic.

Also the 01+ had better rod bolts.

I would look for a clean 02 that if modified only bolt ons and enjoy the car.
ImportImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
White_Knuckle_Tight

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6
This may not be something that is incredibly common, but I had these problems on mine:

BCM: make sure the courtesy lights, power locks, radio, keyless entry, works. My BCM was/ is bad, and I gather that is is a pretty common problem

Doors: 4th gens have heavy doors, and people don't take care of them. So after years of them being slammed shut and flung open carelessly, they tend to drop. It's not that bigga deal until they drop drastically, then it can start to mess with your latches unless you are VERY careful in how you shut your doors.

Power Windows: Make sure your windows roll up and down properly. People have a bad habbit of grabbing the windows to open and shut the doors, which messes up the regulators and makes them wobbly. And if they get too wobbly, that can allow water to get in your door through the wetherstripping at the base of the window.

Body lines: These cars are driven by 3 types of people: 70% Careless jackasses that can't drive, 25% Collectors who keep them in garages for 360 days a year(which is awesome), and 5% people like me who drive them daily, but are good drivers and take care of them like they are supposed to. So check the body lines. If it's been wrecked, they will be off somewhere. The hood is the easiest place to check. Make sure the gap on the sides of the hood is even. If it isn't chances are it's been wrecked.

....that's all I can think of, but there ya go.
White_Knuckle_Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Yeah the bit about people closing the doors by touching the glass I'm all too aware off. For example, my cousins fiancee is a nice guy, but he was born into money so when get turned 18 a bit back he got a brand new Nissan 350Z from his dad. So first time I meet the guy he steps out of it...and closes it by slamming it with the window. If it wasn't the first time meeting I would have chewed him out about how you just don't close hardtop doors like that! So will definetly bee looking out for that.

And will definetly check for cracks, how things fit, the doors and the body lines.

Actually found one that's awesome, has a decent price, it's near, and it's new! Never used! The dealer has had it for years and for some reason it's not been sold. BUT. For me it's a no-go in any case, since it's an auto.

That and right now I can't afford it yet also helps
Old 07-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportImage View Post
Also look at the doors and dash, as they have had problems cracking if people didn't take care of them. I don't think I have seen a drivers side door that didn't have at least a little crack at the top of the plastic.

Also the 01+ had better rod bolts.

I would look for a clean 02 that if modified only bolt ons and enjoy the car.
They changed something on the LS cars. My 30th has the factory installed drivers door panel crack. I have never seen a LT1 car with it, including the 2 I owned in the past.