Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Several mods over the past 4 days. Thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated

Did quite a bit of mods over the past few days and wanted to get some of your thoughts and suggestions....should I do more or leave her as she is externally? Suggestions and advice are welcomed!!

I do plan to have some some internal mods done in the near future to add HP and change the exhaust and so on. Advice and suggestions on this too would be very much appreciated. Anything that is not to overlly expensive would be great!

So far I have done the following to my 2011 2SS:

Tinted windows
New GM (Defenderwrx) Gear Shifter
Chrome GM (Defenderwrx) Reverse Lights
Oracal Carbon Fiber Graphics (Mail Slot and Back trunk lid)
Blacked Out Bow Ties
Painted Brembos/Calipers
Black Fades Gill Inserts
Stainless GM (Defenderwrx) Camaro Cup Holder

Pics of Mods

Thanks again for any suggestions or opinions that I still could do that would look good!!

Thanks,

Don
Madison, Mississippi
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
I think you've done a good job so far. Some guys might tell you to do more to the exterior, but I am more partial to the subtle look and not over-doing it. You should definitely look into doing some performance mods next. For me, I went with an aftermarket air intake to get started, then a cat back exhaust , and now long tube headers. Next on my wish list is suspension work to lower the car. If warranty is a concern, don't do the long tube headers, since it will require a dyno tune. Good luck the rest of the way!!
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
More, but space it out.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Looks good
SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
SZOTSTA24

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I really like the shifter. I'm not sure if I like the chrome or black one more though.
SZOTSTA24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
I'm definately in the camp of less is more. But I don't think you have reached the level of, it's too much yet. You could do a little more, but only if you want to but I would really think it out. It's super easy to over do it. And the car looks nice the way it is now.
The only thing I would personally change is to take off the bezel around the reverse lights. It just adds extra clutter to that area that really doesn't need it.
The concept bumper was cleaner, but the shipping version chooses function over form as too much would of probably went into trying to hide the back up sensors and I believe cost effectiveness led them to use separate backup lights instead of integrating them into the brake light housing. If you ever saw how big the reverse lights are behind the bumper you would know what I mean.

Two things you could do that I have plans to do also, and still maintain the clean look.
You can add hood spears and also blackout the grill area the same color as your mail slot. Those would look good and still be as clean as it is now but with a slightly more custom look.

I want to get the same CF vinyl you have now, but im not sure anyone makes it for the grill blackout area which is the only thing holding me back right now.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
I'm definately in the camp of less is more. But I don't think you have reached the level of, it's too much yet. You could do a little more, but only if you want to but I would really think it out. It's super easy to over do it. And the car looks nice the way it is now.
The only thing I would personally change is to take off the bezel around the reverse lights. It just adds extra clutter to that area that really doesn't need it.
The concept bumper was cleaner, but the shipping version chooses function over form as too much would of probably went into trying to hide the back up sensors and I believe cost effectiveness led them to use separate backup lights instead of integrating them into the brake light housing. If you ever saw how big the reverse lights are behind the bumper you would know what I mean.

Two things you could do that I have plans to do also, and still maintain the clean look.
You can add hood spears and also blackout the grill area the same color as your mail slot. Those would look good and still be as clean as it is now but with a slightly more custom look.

I want to get the same CF vinyl you have now, but im not sure anyone makes it for the grill blackout area which is the only thing holding me back right now.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I kind of was thinking the less is more thing as well. It is nice to hear it from other Camaro owners too and now I know I have pretty much reached a good point of external mods. When I ordered the reverse lights, I almost went with the black but was thinking about the tail lights bezels being a chrome look and matched. It is cool you spoke of the hood spears because I had ordered some and they were damaged when I moved recently. Speaking of the Oracal CF, I think you can have Autotrimdesign custom make that front grill piece and they also can custom do the hood spears. Would you say go with the CF hood spears since that is kind of my theme so far on the mail slot and back trunk lid? Thanks again for the opinions!!

Don
Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Looks nice man. Simple, elegant, understated. I think if you lowered the car 1 inch, it would be just about perfect.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
JWMotoring

Drives: 2018 SS Hyper Blue
I like the mods. Clean SS
JWMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
wise

Drives: 1SS/1LE
Very tastefully done. The carbon-fiber style vinyl actually looks good in small amounts. The way you've done it is perfect. If it were me, I would do the LS7 style overlay on the front bumper and stop there, maybe hood spears but I would really think about it. Less is more is something a lot of people on this site need to remember, and your car is a great example.

I used 3M 1080 Carbon Fiber style vinyl on my bowties. I'm planning on cutting out some overlays for the front and rear SS badges this weekend with some left-over material. After seeing yours, I'm going to order more and do my mail-slot now and ditch my Camaro fender lettering and call it good for awhile.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Yea if you do the hood spears, I would follow the current theme you have going on.

CF does look good when used lightly. It's when people start plastering their whole interiors, hood, roof and trunk with it is when it looks tacky.

I want to do the ls7 blackouts myself in CF but just can't find anyone who sells all the parts and also has the nice CF like you have.

I'm starting to wonder if most of these decal companies around here even own vinyl cutters as most of them can't customize anything.

I have a sample of nice CF from a vendor on this site, but they only sell it in rolls.
I can't cut it myself so I havnt bought any.
The places that can cut, don't carry the nice CF, only the crappy looking stuff.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Clean, but too much chrome....
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise View Post
Very tastefully done. The carbon-fiber style vinyl actually looks good in small amounts. The way you've done it is perfect. If it were me, I would do the LS7 style overlay on the front bumper and stop there, maybe hood spears but I would really think about it. Less is more is something a lot of people on this site need to remember, and your car is a great example.

I used 3M 1080 Carbon Fiber style vinyl on my bowties. I'm planning on cutting out some overlays for the front and rear SS badges this weekend with some left-over material. After seeing yours, I'm going to order more and do my mail-slot now and ditch my Camaro fender lettering and call it good for awhile.

I totally agree about getting the graphics cut to a perfect fit. I had extra Oracal CF and had to trim out around my back bowtie before I applied the trunk lid CF Graphic. It turned out great but I had my reservations at first and during the process. If I had not placed the trim down first, there would have been about a 1/4 of an inch gap around the bowtie showing silver. I will say the Oracal Carbon fiber is the best out there. It has a ton of texture and I have had people actually think the trunk lid was made with real carbon fiber when they saw and touched it. Good stuff!!

I appreciate the kind words! Yeah just like a couple others have said, less is more and very true. I may do one other thing.....I have never been a fan of the mail slot and I may order the mail slot close out or I think its actually called the front fascia close out. I like the clean front end look and would order it pre-painted in Silver Ice and install it myself.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Looks great, id do a little more myself, but it doesnt matter what I think, its your ride... Do what you want.