Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
Camaro224

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS V6
2013 Camaro V6 Brake Issues

Hi,

I have @ 33k on my 2013 Chevrolet Camaro and it appears that the brakes have already worn down. It makes an odd noise when stopping and when I checked the drums, it looks like there is scoring. Has anyone heard of brakes going so quickly? These are mostly highway miles and I'm a bit perturbed that they would go so soon. I have never had to replace brakes before 50k.

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has suggestions for replacement pads and rotors, let me know your suggestions. I refuse to put the same crap back on from the dealer!
Camaro224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
aukatrau

Drives: 2013 v6 2lt
I have a similar issue, got 25k on the car. Makes more squeaking now and having to press noticeably further on brake pedal to stop. Going to a shop to see if they need to be replaced.
aukatrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Camaro224

Interesting, I didn't have any squeaking. Let me know how it goes for you, would be interested to see if yours need replacing. Can I ask what kind of driving you do (i.e. mostly stop and go or highway traveling)?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
If you've got drums on a Camaro you have bigger problems than brake noise. lol

My V6 brakes never made noise, and scoring will only happen if you heat up the brakes by stopping at high speeds. Unless you're not talking about heatspots, which is usually what people mean by that. Some noise doesn't necessarily mean the brakes are done, the SS brakes make way more noise.

And honestly Autozone's Duralast Gold pads are great. I've never had a customer return for brake noise with their gold pads, which are made by Bosch and carry a lifetime warranty. Seriously, after 5 years and 100k miles you can swap them for brand new ones free of charge, they don't even check the pads. I've never had a problem with their rotors either and they're usually cheapest.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Camaro224

The noise that I'm hearing is new, I never heard it before now. Based on past experience, it does sound like the pads are worn. In addition, the scoring I'm seeing looks to be like where the rivets are digging into the rotors. The thing is, I don't brake hard and don't ride the brakes and I pretty much keep within the speed limits. I have never had to replace my brakes before 50k miles which is why I'm a bit upset. There is no way brakes should wear out this quickly.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Camaro224

I have attached pictures of the rotors on my car. You can see the scoring that is on the rotors.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The little bit of pad you can see in the last pic looks like a lot of material to go.

Looks like uneven pad deposits on the discs.

Get some 200 grit sandpaper and go over both sides of the discs firmly to remove it. Be sure to rotate the wheel so you get under the pads too. Then hit them with a shot of brake cleaner to remove the dust.

After that just take it out and make several firm "slow downs" (decelerate without stopping). Let the brakes cool a bit between use.

I think you'll be good to go after that- hope I caught you before you put the wheels back on!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Camaro224

Thanks for taking the time to review the issue with my brakes. I haven't done anything yet so will perform the maintenance you suggested. Also, when I run my fingers across the rotors I feel a lip so I'll probably be knocking that off as well.

Thanks again for the tip!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Looks like you might have a rock wedged between your pad and rotor.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Take your rotors off and have them re-turned for $10 each at your local auto parts store.

I looks like the salt tore those things up. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I'd check your brake pads if they're original pads they're semi-metallic on the V6's i had these same issues with mine weird stopping pressure intermiitently and loud sqweeking noises when the heated up even a little at any speed.

Wish i'd taken a picture but 2 of my pads had quarter size chunks of metal in them which caused this. I'm not sure why GM hasn't rectified this issue it's been reported think they don't give a shit til someone gets hurt or worse from this.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
I have @ 33k on my 2013 Chevrolet Camaro and it appears that the brakes have already worn down.
(eyes roll) ONLY 33k miles? you are kidding right? These are 4000lb cars, your brakes are ready to be serviced... the gouge could be anything from metal debris to a rock, just buy new ones, they are cheap.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
(eyes roll) ONLY 33k miles? you are kidding right? These are 4000lb cars, your brakes are ready to be serviced... the gouge could be anything from metal debris to a rock, just buy new ones, they are cheap.
Well dude I'm at 80K and have plenty of pad left, don't know why you think at 33K he's over extended. Looks like he has an issue for sure, but mileage isn't one of them.

Tags
brakes worn