Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
RichardCranium

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS, 2006 TB SS
Front bumper cover alignment issues......anyone?

I had to remove the bumper cover on my father's 2011 2SS to install headlights......and after finishing the install and replacing the bumper cover, it is drastically misaligned towards the center of the hood.....near the point. The drivers side, where the hood and bumper cover meet....that is perfect. The passenger side of the hood is slightly low (1mm), but I can probably tweak it with the hood bumper over there.

The problem is the center most portion of the bumper cover, above the Bowtie in the grill. The bumper cover is a good 6mm higher than the hood. I did no altercation of any the hood height at all. The absolute only thing I did was remove the bumper cover. I am somewhat stumped as to how the bumper cover is higher than the hood. I figured if anything, it would be lower. My reasoning for that, is there were some shims that were under the bumper cover on the top radiator cross brace.

Here are a few pics to clarify. I am hoping someone has dealt with this before, and can give me a trick to fix it.

RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
hate to say it but you will most likely need to take it off again and re-install. Perhaps a mounting point or more was/were mounted over and not under or vice versa.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
There is two screws that can be adjusted on the front shroud right next to the latch.
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
There are aligning pins on the cover that go into the fender. I had mine off twice and didn't have a problem reinstalling it either time.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
RichardCranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
There are aligning pins on the cover that go into the fender. I had mine off twice and didn't have a problem reinstalling it either time.
Yeah, I'm not having a problem with the front fender alignment at all......its just the center portion of the bumper cover that is very strangely high.

I'm going to take the cover off Monday and reinstall it, to see if I can figure out what the deal is. Thank goodness it only takes like 20 minutes to take off......hopefully I can figure out whats distorting things.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
RichardCranium

Ok, had to pull the bumper cover off today to address a minor issue. Hoped for the best, expected the worst. Shut the hood after reinstalling the bumper cover.....no change. :(

The only adjustment at all are the 4 hood bumpers, but with even the slightest adjustment, the hood won't latch. Guess we'll see if the guys in the body shop have any tricks....
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Shot in the dark here...Do the ajustable rubber guards have any thing to do with that?

The ones on either side of the hood latch...with the over sized holes, in the pic:

Name:  ChevyShow9_10_294_-1.jpg
Views: 2546
Size:  187.8 KB
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
try raising the hood .i took off my bumper there is only one way on if all your screws went in the right way .you might have to raise the hood up or down with the black knobs .try that first .i went through it also
Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
RichardCranium

I did try the rubber bumpers, but didn't have any luck. The key thing here is that the hood and bumper cover line up perfectly.....on the fender sides. The only part that is misaligned is the center.......about 14" of area.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
wrbear
Banned

Try installing a supercharger on the car that might fix the problem or at least get your mind off of it....snort...there are 4 rubber adjustments. I'm sure you tried all of them. As noted before by another poster.....it fit's like a glove when installed...alignments galore....one of our club members had the same problem....maybe some are installed like springs and once you release the tension the plastic does that?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
I did try the rubber bumpers, but didn't have any luck. The key thing here is that the hood and bumper cover line up perfectly.....on the fender sides. The only part that is misaligned is the center.......about 14" of area.
if i remember right there were studs that went into the holes above or below the screw holes to make sure it was aligned properley meaning bumper to fender .if all screws went in easily there should have been no problem except for when bumper was off rubber pieces might have moved a bit . when my buddy gets home i will look into it a little more .he is a director of service at a chevy dealer
Old 02-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
RichardCranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 View Post
if i remember right there were studs that went into the holes above or below the screw holes to make sure it was aligned properley meaning bumper to fender .if all screws went in easily there should have been no problem except for when bumper was off rubber pieces might have moved a bit . when my buddy gets home i will look into it a little more .he is a director of service at a chevy dealer
Yup, they made it where it is impossible to incorrectly install the bumper cover.....it literally sits in one position, no adjustments. The baffling part is that I don't remember the hood being that far misaligned before......but I could even be wrong about that. Just odd that my father noticed it after I put the headlights in.

I'm going back over there on Sunday, I might play with the hood bumpers a little to see if I can figure anything out.

Question.......for you guys with properly adjusted hoods......how much force does it take to close your hood? Can you just simply drop it from 12" or so, does it require a slam?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
wrbear
Banned

No Slammin required at least on mine...has to be the rubber bumpers not screwed in enough...I think...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #14
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
I sent you a PM with my phone number. This is a simple fix do not take anything off. There are two torque screws on the shroud right next to the latch. These control how far the top of the bumper sits in regards to the top of the hood. You can call me if you like.
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote