Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #519
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Were the keys in a lock box with only owner access?

Case closed.

..or service manager access?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #520
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkroadcamaro View Post
54 miles on a new car when you pick it up is not unusual. A new Camaro would pick up miles going through roll test on the Flex Line in Oshawa, then the drive to the Care Line, then the drive to the Lot they are held at before the drive from the plant over to the Transport Carrier. Then the drive to either on to the Train or Transport. Even if it goes on to the Train it will be loaded later on a Transport Carrier to go to the Dealership. The number of miles is written on the PDI at the Dealership. The PDI (Predelivery Inspection) at the Dealership would include a test drive. You could always ask for the PDI miles and compare them to the Mileage when you picked up the car.

I put these things on the order form when purchasing a Vehicle. Purchaser must be present when PDI is done. I also usually take the ride with the Mech. also during the PDI. I also tell the salesman that I want every piece of paper off the car and given to me. I also tell them to leave certain things on the car such as the Air Bag and other Instructions. I also get the salesman to get the assigned build date and keep checking every week as to if this has changed. Once it is built you can drive by the Dealership every day to make sure when it comes to it or constantly call the salesman for updates when it will be at the Dealership.

My son works as a Mech. at a GM Dealership. He is in his early 20s and his Dealership has sent him on all the training for both the New 2014 Corvette and Camaro, he is the only one to do this at his Dealership. He loves seeing the owners of these cars faces when he does all the work on these cars, but once they talk to him they know he knows more than they will ever know about these cars and are quite relaxed with him driving their cars. He never takes advantage of a road test, it his livelihood and he already has many fast cars to drive at home.

I just hope the OP comes away satisfied with the conclusion of this mess. How angry would any one be and how alone the OP would be with being told by the Dealership what he was told. You drop you car off one day and then its gone the next. Many Camaros become personal with the owners and they take pride in ownership.

54 miles is not normal on an ordered vehicle. When the ZL1s first came out there was thread regarding how many miles they had on them on delivery. 6 to 12 miles was about average. Mine had 8.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #521
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
54 miles is not normal on an ordered vehicle. When the ZL1s first came out there was thread regarding how many miles they had on them on delivery. 6 to 12 miles was about average. Mine had 8.
I've never bought a brand new car with more than about 8 miles. Most were even under 5. If I recall my Camaro had some miles. I think if you ordered the factory installed stripes you had around 3 miles put on your car to go to the place they installed the stripes at. hahahaha

I may be wrong but it seems like I remember something like that.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #522
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Yeah 54 miles means it's been test driven or someone had fun with it. My first car had 13 miles on it and I put about half of those on there on the test drive.

My ZL1 had 29 miles on it and they told me/I figured out that the dealership owner's grandson felt it necessary to go rag it out one time. What can you do though, I didn't order it, I found it on the lot like that.

Oh, and great news, this thread got posted on the general discussions area, so we should have a whole bunch more people chiming in spouting off crap just like the rest of us.

Go Auburn, F*** FSU
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #523
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Yeah 54 miles means it's been test driven or someone had fun with it. My first car had 13 miles on it and I put about half of those on there on the test drive.
Assuming it was not a direct order, mileage could also indicate a transfer from another dealership. My Camaro came with over 200 miles on it, but that is because they drove it from NJ to Virginia to get me the vehicle I wanted versus one they had on their lot (this was after direct orders from the factory had ended for the year).

But on a vehicle you ordered from the factory, I think 54 miles would be pretty excessive.

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #524
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkroadcamaro View Post
54 miles on a new car when you pick it up is not unusual. A new Camaro would pick up miles going through roll test on the Flex Line in Oshawa, then the drive to the Care Line, then the drive to the Lot they are held at before the drive from the plant over to the Transport Carrier. Then the drive to either on to the Train or Transport. Even if it goes on to the Train it will be loaded later on a Transport Carrier to go to the Dealership. The number of miles is written on the PDI at the Dealership. The PDI (Predelivery Inspection) at the Dealership would include a test drive. You could always ask for the PDI miles and compare them to the Mileage when you picked up the car.

I put these things on the order form when purchasing a Vehicle. Purchaser must be present when PDI is done. I also usually take the ride with the Mech. also during the PDI. I also tell the salesman that I want every piece of paper off the car and given to me. I also tell them to leave certain things on the car such as the Air Bag and other Instructions. I also get the salesman to get the assigned build date and keep checking every week as to if this has changed. Once it is built you can drive by the Dealership every day to make sure when it comes to it or constantly call the salesman for updates when it will be at the Dealership.

My son works as a Mech. at a GM Dealership. He is in his early 20s and his Dealership has sent him on all the training for both the New 2014 Corvette and Camaro, he is the only one to do this at his Dealership. He loves seeing the owners of these cars faces when he does all the work on these cars, but once they talk to him they know he knows more than they will ever know about these cars and are quite relaxed with him driving their cars. He never takes advantage of a road test, it his livelihood and he already has many fast cars to drive at home.

I just hope the OP comes away satisfied with the conclusion of this mess. How angry would any one be and how alone the OP would be with being told by the Dealership what he was told. You drop you car off one day and then its gone the next. Many Camaros become personal with the owners and they take pride in ownership.
about that 54 miles... when my father used to work at gm plant,-35 years- doing the f models one day he arrived with a shiny new red 1997 trans am ws6 convertible. he had the choice chevy or pontiac.he was told that he only could do 50 miles --on the odometer- with it--the car was heading to colorado-- or 80km if it was a canadian car..
well ,when he left me the wheel, i had a little fun me and my brother rack up some miles on it but did respect the limit we did 48on it..-
also few of them were doing road test on the highway about 18km, so about 10 miles or so... it's normal when the cars are new some have lower mileage than others...
we have a paccar plant close by they do peterbilt and kenworth the do road test..too

sorry off topic but your comments brought some good memories..

the best road test that i had.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #525
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
I didn't ordered my Camaro SS, Challenger SRT8 or Mustang GT but they all had less than 10 miles on them when I bought them & that was after I took them for a test drive.

My son used to do all the PDIs on the Camaros & Corvettes when they would come in the dealership he was working at. The dealer really watched the mileage on those cars to keep them low.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #526
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Bump for an update from OP
Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #527
JohnnyC
PURBRED

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1, 2007 Gmc Duramax
Bump
Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #528
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
OP had to back down a little and a keep a low down for a little. there's a post a little farther back
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #529
jhoop302

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
RIP 2012 ZL1 #1635 UPDATE 1/8/2014

The latest in the saga of the totaled ZL1 #1635...

The dealer was supposed to be finding me a 2013 ZL1 new. They agreed (or so I thought) that it would be for the best since buying a used one (yes, ME BUYING from them) could only lead to problems down the road.

I have been patient. I finally got a call on Monday (1/6) to come over to look at the car they "found" for me. They were sure I would be pleased. Imagine my surprise when the car they "found" turned out to be a trade-in on a new Stingray. The car was a 2012 ZL1, black like mine, but with a sunroof (which I do not want), 34% more miles than mine, new tires (why did it need new tires at 13,588 miles?), different wheels than mine, non-Chevrolet emblems front and back, and tinted windows. Also absolutely NO documentation on the car, even though I was told the car had more documentation than mine.

I was not even told the mileage on the car until I went out and sat in it for myself. Amazing that we had to go over all the figures first. And yes, I was to buy this car from them. They did offer $4K "feel good" (their words, not mine) money to buy the correct emblems and rims. However, nothing was mentioned about a lower price for the higher mileage.

My wife and I just were not that happy with the car. We offered a counter-offer and let the dealership for them to discuss our proposal.

When we got home last night, we discovered through this forum (thanks, guys) that the car was a TWO owner car, not a one-owner car like we were told. We also found out that the car was hit 3 days after the original owner purchased the car. WE paid $55 for a CarFax report--the dealer didn't even offer that for us. They did have some other report, but it wasn't a CarFax.

So they were basically trying to SELL us a 2-owner vehicle that had previous body damage, along with tinted windows, incorrect emblems, more mileage, the apparent need for new tires, and heaven only knows what else.

They called today to tell us that their original offer to buy THAT car from them was ALL they were going to (or willing to) offer. Take it or leave it. We really did not want a twice-used car with no documentation and do not feel it was a reasonable replacement for our show-winning, pristine, fully documented car with much less mileage.

So folks, almost a month later, I am still making payments on a car I do not have, and certainly cannot drive. And the dealer is unwilling to step up and "do the right thing."

I have retained an attorney, but really, why should I have to pay attorney fees when I am the innocent party in all of this. I did not ask for my car to be stolen by a dealer's employee.

The dealer is upset about the negative press they have received, yet they seem unwilling to do anything to remedy the situation.

I guess they will get what they deserve, even if I do not get what I fully deserve (my car replaced at no expense to me).

If this hadn't actually happened to me, I don't think I would have believed it.

The story has now been covered in the local newspaper (Cape Gazette), the local news station (WBOC), and a Philadelphia station (NBC10). Simply amazing...

John
Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #530
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Wow. Hang in there John. You've got our support.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #531
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoop302 View Post
The latest in the saga of the totaled ZL1 #1635...

The dealer was supposed to be finding me a 2013 ZL1 new. They agreed (or so I thought) that it would be for the best since buying a used one (yes, ME BUYING from them) could only lead to problems down the road.

I have been patient. I finally got a call on Monday (1/6) to come over to look at the car they "found" for me. They were sure I would be pleased. Imagine my surprise when the car they "found" turned out to be a trade-in on a new Stingray. The car was a 2012 ZL1, black like mine, but with a sunroof (which I do not want), 34% more miles than mine, new tires (why did it need new tires at 13,588 miles?), different wheels than mine, non-Chevrolet emblems front and back, and tinted windows. Also absolutely NO documentation on the car, even though I was told the car had more documentation than mine.

I was not even told the mileage on the car until I went out and sat in it for myself. Amazing that we had to go over all the figures first. And yes, I was to buy this car from them. They did offer $4K "feel good" (their words, not mine) money to buy the correct emblems and rims. However, nothing was mentioned about a lower price for the higher mileage.

My wife and I just were not that happy with the car. We offered a counter-offer and let the dealership for them to discuss our proposal.

When we got home last night, we discovered through this forum (thanks, guys) that the car was a TWO owner car, not a one-owner car like we were told. We also found out that the car was hit 3 days after the original owner purchased the car. WE paid $55 for a CarFax report--the dealer didn't even offer that for us. They did have some other report, but it wasn't a CarFax.

So they were basically trying to SELL us a 2-owner vehicle that had previous body damage, along with tinted windows, incorrect emblems, more mileage, the apparent need for new tires, and heaven only knows what else.

They called today to tell us that their original offer to buy THAT car from them was ALL they were going to (or willing to) offer. Take it or leave it. We really did not want a twice-used car with no documentation and do not feel it was a reasonable replacement for our show-winning, pristine, fully documented car with much less mileage.

So folks, almost a month later, I am still making payments on a car I do not have, and certainly cannot drive. And the dealer is unwilling to step up and "do the right thing."

I have retained an attorney, but really, why should I have to pay attorney fees when I am the innocent party in all of this. I did not ask for my car to be stolen by a dealer's employee.

The dealer is upset about the negative press they have received, yet they seem unwilling to do anything to remedy the situation.

I guess they will get what they deserve, even if I do not get what I fully deserve (my car replaced at no expense to me).

If this hadn't actually happened to me, I don't think I would have believed it.

The story has now been covered in the local newspaper (Cape Gazette), the local news station (WBOC), and a Philadelphia station (NBC10). Simply amazing...

John

Wow! As a forum there has got to be something we can do. Can we all call the dealer and demand satisfaction for the OP. This is just BS and this dealer needs to pay!

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #532
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
John, what did your insurance company say?
And did they tell you what their insurance said?

I can't believe these guys are taking this stand. But surely your insurance will go to bat for you?

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1