Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
Speeding Ticket Advice

I need some advice. I'm out here in Phoenix AZ. I got myself a criminal speeding ticket out in a small town about an 1 1/2 hour outside of Phoenix. So this is my question. I'm lucky to live in AZ where once a year if you get a civil speeding ticket you can take a driving course and have the ticket not add points to your record. So I was doing 93 in a 65. Thanks to my radar detector it would have been much worse. Here is the question. In the Phoenix areas courts they are so busy it's almost a given that they offer you a plea deal and plead the ticket to civil. But I got my ticket out in nowhereville. I had my initial hearing and because the judges said she could not plead it down at this time, I decided to plead not guilty. Now should I represent myself and hope they let me plead it down to civil, which I'm ok with. Luckily the judge made the next meeting a phone call. Or should I pay a local traffic lawyer 1200.00 to try and completely get rid of the ticket. I'm pretty sure the lawyer can at least plead me down to civil, something I might be able to do myself. BTW I have a completely clean driving record with the exception of this ticket. Hey I've had my car for 1 year and this is my first ticket. Should I get a 1200 lawyer or should I just represent myself? That 1200 was my half way point to new custom rims. : If they don't plead it down I'll have a misdemeanor on my record, but because i wasn't doing 96 I can still take the driving course and not get points on my record. Judge said 3 more MPH and I would have been taken to jail.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
$1200 for a lawyer to represent you?!? I got hit with a reckless driving charge in VA last year for 77 in a 55 and it only cost me $300 for the lawyer and $90 court fee and the lawyer got my charge completely dropped!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
The court will appreciate dealing with a lawyer instead of you. I don't know if $1,200 is a reasonable amount though. You may try to network and see if any local attorneys have any contacts in that town (most of the attorneys I know network frequently). Also, the DAs in small counties usually don't want to mess with speeding tickets.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
What County did You get the violation...that's the venue of the violation and trial. Go to that County Attorney's Office for information.

Many Counties will resist a jury trial...which IS your right. Trial by Judge is quick and easy....putting a jury together....not so much. Then again a jury trial may require an Attorney.

Good Luck.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
slowman

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE|08 Civic Mugen Si
I would get a lawyer. I've always gotten a lawyer for my reckless driving offenses back in the day when I was 16-18.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Wow...that's one pricey attorney....That's a tough call....whatever makes it go away and a no misdemeanor.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Believe it or not 1200 was the best price I got. One lawyer said 3200. The one I'm thinking about using first was 1600, but because I went to my initial hearing myself she said it would be 1200.00.I got the ticket in Yavapi county very rural. I didn't get a reckless driving ticket. I would have if I didn't have a detector. Good advice about it's cost money to put together a trial. Very good insight, Thank you.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
Old 04-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
$1200 for a lawyer to represent you?!? I got hit with a reckless driving charge in VA last year for 77 in a 55 and it only cost me $300 for the lawyer and $90 court fee and the lawyer got my charge completely dropped!
How does a lawyer get a ticket completely dropped? I always thought it was either you were speeding or you weren't and the only way out of a ticket was if you could create doubt in the radar (it either picked up a different car next to you or the radar gun was not calibrated)... what was the basis for getting all charges dropped?

I'm curious to know because I live in VA, so if I ever did get a ticket I'd call whatever lawyer you used!

I've been very fortunate, the few times I've gotten pulled over I had my military ID on the back of my wallet sitting on my lap as I hand over my license and registration and then was asked where I worked and what I do and then get told to slow it down and then sent off on my way. I never flash my ID or try to make it too obvious, just have it sitting there so I don't look like I'm trying to be entitled to anything.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
interceptor

Drives: Stock '17 2SS M6 50th - DD '99 F150
I got a ticket many moons back in a po-dunk town out of state for hitting a banana truck (lol) that had jack-knifed in snowy weather. I figured that I could represent myself with notarized statements from the people following me that I was "pulled" in the direction of the truck due to snow piled on the side of the road.

Big mistake trying to represent myself in that small town. Walked away having to pay the fine and humiliation in watching the state policeman slap the judge on the back and ask if he wanted to go to lunch.

Those lawyer fees sound excessive compared to those I've seen in the system. Better call Saul.

interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
$1200 good lord I would hope he comes with a guarantee for that price, last ticket I got was about $400 for a very reputable attorney.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
How does a lawyer get a ticket completely dropped? I always thought it was either you were speeding or you weren't and the only way out of a ticket was if you could create doubt in the radar (it either picked up a different car next to you or the radar gun was not calibrated)... what was the basis for getting all charges dropped?

I'm curious to know because I live in VA, so if I ever did get a ticket I'd call whatever lawyer you used!

I've been very fortunate, the few times I've gotten pulled over I had my military ID on the back of my wallet sitting on my lap as I hand over my license and registration and then was asked where I worked and what I do and then get told to slow it down and then sent off on my way. I never flash my ID or try to make it too obvious, just have it sitting there so I don't look like I'm trying to be entitled to anything.

They try and get you out of a ticket in discovery. Say the officer didn't cross a T or dot an d i. That's how they get 95% of the people out of a ticket. Technicalities.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor View Post
Big mistake trying to represent myself in that small town.
Based on some of the specifics in your original post and how you worded it I'm afraid you might come off as pretentious or arrogant to the local authorities. You did not get very far with your initial efforts. I think a lawyer is the better choice here.
I'm not saying you ARE arrogant or pretentious, but the choice of neckwear in this photo gives me some concerns about the locals:
https://www.dcourier.com/news/2009/d...superior-cour/
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
$1200 sounds very high, but if it's what it takes to get the ticket dropped, if you can afford it I wouldn't hesitate.

A few things to remember when you appear in court:

Get your hair cut, comb it nicely, and completely clean shave I don't care how much you or your girlfriend love your beard/goatee/mustache or whatever else you have

Wear a suit. Pressed, no wrinkles, fits you properly. Tie your tie tight to the collar.

Cover your tattoos if you have them, if your suit doesn't

Be respectful and use proper English grammar.

You have no idea what your appearance and language can either do for you or against you in court. Seriously.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #14
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Hire the lawyer- cheap in the long run.....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote