Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
ZL1_David

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Slow build or package deal?

I have a 2013 ZL1 and I wanna start building it. I’ve owned Evos and Subaru’s most of my driving life so this is a new world to me. Now that I feel comfortable driving a RWD car and ready to mod it (its bone stock) I can’t figure out if I should build it part by part or save up some money and get a package deal from either JDP Performance or JRE Racing. My goal is to reach around 700whp/700wtq.

I’ve read get headers cai and pulleys, then I read depending on the pulley size I should get pulleys injectors then cai and headers. Then I’m reading heat can be an issue. I feel like I’m starting all over in the car scene of modifying cars completely switching platforms.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated in advance. Thanks!
ZL1_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #2
Coop[580

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Ashen Grey
Well I’m sure everyone on here will have a different viewpoint but for me I did a cple parts at a time. I think i started with Headers and CAI. Then injectors and pulley and tune(changed pulley twice). Then I did flex fuel(supporting mods) and of course a new tune. It was fine to see what each did and what I felt from each round. But i will say I’m ready for more. Maybe next spring. These cars are awesome. I’m adding some corsa exhaust at the ends of this month and that’ll be it for this year. I’ve done this all I’ve over a two year period. Plus it’s always nice to find what u want on this site. Nothing wrong with saving money if u have the patience. J
635/632-93 octane
725/738-E85
Coop[580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
ZL1_David

These cars ARE awesome! If I plan on doing a part by part I may do something as you mentioned. Headers, CAI, pulleys and injectors. I’d love to get a cam kit but I’m worried I may be jumping the gun of the cams.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I say the best way to do it is once if you have the funding. It cost less because of fewer tunes, and you are not w/o your Z but once. Also, rather than piece-mealing the project, I think then mod can be better planned if done once (no redo's).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_David View Post
I have a 2013 ZL1 and I wanna start building it. I’ve owned Evos and Subaru’s most of my driving life so this is a new world to me. Now that I feel comfortable driving a RWD car and ready to mod it (its bone stock) I can’t figure out if I should build it part by part or save up some money and get a package deal from either JDP Performance or JRE Racing. My goal is to reach around 700whp/700wtq.

I’ve read get headers cai and pulleys, then I read depending on the pulley size I should get pulleys injectors then cai and headers. Then I’m reading heat can be an issue. I feel like I’m starting all over in the car scene of modifying cars completely switching platforms.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated in advance. Thanks!

Best performance for the Buck is CAI, 10% lower, Tune ( have seen great results with the JRE package), you would also want to install a Metco crankcase breather with quick release valve at this point to save your real main seal. Headers sound cool and improve flow but drop boost, no big improvement until you get 18% on the bottom and injectors+plus next tune, then you have an great package but will know the meaning of Heatsoak.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
It honestly all depends on how much you can afford. Pulley changes and a CAI are really good bang for the buck. Just keep in mind if you do it little by little you will have to make sure that what you are installing on the car will work with your future mods. It would suck to buy something and have it installed and then find out that you will need to replace it later. I did everything in my signature at once because it does save you some money in the long run on labor and tunes. Only had to tear into the motor once and had to tune it one time.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
ZL1_David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
It honestly all depends on how much you can afford. Pulley changes and a CAI are really good bang for the buck. Just keep in mind if you do it little by little you will have to make sure that what you are installing on the car will work with your future mods. It would suck to buy something and have it installed and then find out that you will need to replace it later. I did everything in my signature at once because it does save you some money in the long run on labor and tunes. Only had to tear into the motor once and had to tune it one time.
I have the same thought process on it. I considered just putting money back through the winter (car won’t see a lot of road time) and when spring got closer get all the parts I want that compliment each other and get it done. Be awesome to do it before fall but I also don’t want to be strapped for cash when winter hits and say something happens to my house etc etc.

Definitely some great inputs from you guys.