Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: .
Camaro 0 0%
Mustang 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #9143
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
Better get your horsepower now before the end comes....I think it's gonna come sooner than we think.
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #9144
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread is treating the LS3/L99 as a second rate pile of shit.

The LS series of engines are the best small blocks built in the world for mass production. The entire LS series of engines have been great.

I think most people are wanting GM to offer these packages and offer at least one that doesn't void your warranty.
Exactly.

Ford seemed to have done well with this kit. Congrats to them and I hope many Mustang owners enjoy this power.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #9145
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I still believe that Ford will supercharge their new 5.0 engine from the factory as the Mach1 but will wait to see what engine/HP the Z/28 has in order to trump it. This is why the disciples / Scott and GM are keeping the Z/28 information close to the vest and as secret as possible. Somewhere along the line though, the car companies are going to say that is enough horsepower from the factory or it will go back to the 70's when the insurance companies stepped in and raised the rates on HiPo cars.
I said a while back that I would expect to see a "gentlemen's agreement" like in Japan. They're just getting to the point where higher power outputs are pointless. The 5.4 is plenty capable of even more than 750hp and GM could easily make a variant of the LSA with different internals that could do the same. They will need to put a cap on the power and use suspension components and weight to make the difference.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #9146
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Your mustang is not on that list... The only one on there is a stock 2011.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #9147
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I'd honestly take the Mustang over the BMW any day. My mother had two BMWs and they had nothing but problems at every turn.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #9148
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Your mustang is not on that list... The only one on there is a stock 2011.
The Camaro isn't either. We are holding the times for Hot Rod and Mustang Enthusiast articles. The 2010 Automatic Camaro and 2011 Mustang Stick slot the cars in great company as well as a dead heat on the track. The advantage the Mustang has in the comparison is directly related to it being a stick. Auto to auto or stick to stick the SS and 11 GT are a dead heat.

Moving up the chart, I can tell you that both the Mustang and Camaro ran faster than the 2010 Pedders Camaro listed. The Camaro listing was from last fall on a 52 degree day. We tested the Mustang and Camaro on an 85 degree 85% humidity day. The temp and humidity took a toll on HP, but both cars ran faster than the posted Camaro time.

The Mustang and Camaro are flirting with the Ford GT lap times. My guess is on a cool fall day with some incremental adjustments one or both might be beat the GT time.

Ford GT Performance
0–60 mph (0–96 km/h): 3.3 seconds[8], 3.6 seconds[9], 3.7 seconds [10]
0–100 mph (0–160 km/h): 7.4 seconds [10]
0-150 mph (0–241 km/h): 16.9 seconds [11]
Standing 1/4 mile (402 m): 11.2 seconds @ 131.2 mph (211.1 km/h)[10], 11.6 seconds @ 126.2 mph (203.1 km/h)[12], 11.78 seconds @ 124.31 mph (200.06 km/h)[13]
Top speed: 205 mph (330 km/h) (electronically limited) [14]

Ford would not do the calculations for us, but GM did. Using our track ready weight with fuel, fluids and driver with the RWHP from the dyno runs the Camaro will top out at 205 MPH at 6,200 RPM. I really wish Ford would have run the simulation for us, but without it we would just be guessing the Mustang top speed. Give or take a mile and hour the Camaro top speed calculation is dead nuts based on real world results compared to other calculations run at GM in other areas of performance.

Both cars are faster on track than a C6 Z06. Both cars are faster on track than the elite Pro Touring Cars that ran Gingerman about a month before in similar heat and humidity. Both cars are faster than the Viper at Gingerman. We can debate forever the winner of the Mustang vs. Camaro Wars, but the reality is these are AWESOME AMERICAN MUSCLE CARS.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #9149
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #9150
JusticePete

Mustang Hot Lap with Side Views
Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #9151
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
deleted.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #9152
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post

M6 v. M6 is a total drivers race....

A6 vs. A6 would be a route in favor of the 5.0...without a doubt in my mind.
undebateable.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #9153
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanmuscle11 View Post
A chariot axle that is Superior to the Camaro IRS. Ford has passed Chevrolet with it's old SRA and set it's sights on a real competitor the BMW M3. Capiche? The SRA must not be too bad, when it was tested against the M3 which also has an IRS it was very competitive.
When the Camaro SS can outhandle the SRA in a Mustang stock for stock with a system that should outhandle an SRA get back to me until then leave your opinion to yourself. BMW's handling is a benchmark to almost all car manufacturers for performance. If Ford can build a Mustang with a SRA that is competitive with an M3, Chevrolet has a long way to go.
Would it hurt to look at some data for once and or be a little bit more fair in your assumptions?

You do realize they have track tested the cars and have shown a .1 second difference? You also have a very experienced autoxer telling you the cars are a dead heat stock or modified. Where are you getting this domination from?

Now we all know the camaro is about 250 lbs heavier and slightly slower in a strait line.

How can you say the IRS is being outperformed when it is a dead heat with the mustang on a slower and 250lb heavier vehicle?

Take away 250lbs from the camaro and leave the mustang alone....IRS wins with both cars being equal weight....simple as that. Unless you dont think removing 250lbs could have made up for .1 in that test LOL.

Open your eyes.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #9154
JusticePete

Fast around a race track means loose. A professional driver can throw a car around the track that is loose and do it with a degree of safety. The solid axle Mustang is loose because of the solid rear axle. We can't set the Mustang as low as we would like because we bind up the rear axle forcing the inside wheel to come loose so we compromise on the CG and corner weighting.

The Camaro is much easier to drive fast on track because it has an IRS. In a straight line race we are talking about 302 pounds as a weight advantage for the Mustang with fluids and driver ready to run. 300 pounds is significant in a straight line race. I do not have the mathematical skills to convert the weights to the road course, but we are not talking about a 300 pound advantage when you are turning a corner a 1.3 gs The 300 pounds becomes a much larger number. The same is true when you apply the brakes for 100+ MPH.

The real secret will be to produce an American Muscle Car that weighs the same as a Mustang with an IRS. It doesn't matter if it is Ford or Chevy that do it. A Mustang weight IRS equipped car would beat either the Camaro or current Mustang. An IRS is vastly superior for everything a car does with the sole exception of drag racing. That said, there are 9 second GTOs running with K member based IRS that are ancient by current design standards so you can drag an IRS vehicle.

I own both cars. I know them both intimately. I like them both. At the end of the day I want the Mustang to have an IRS and the Camaro to be 300 pounds lighter.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #9155
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Fast around a race track means loose. A professional driver can throw a car around the track that is loose and do it with a degree of safety. The solid axle Mustang is loose because of the solid rear axle. We can't set the Mustang as low as we would like because we bind up the rear axle forcing the inside wheel to come loose so we compromise on the CG and corner weighting.

The Camaro is much easier to drive fast on track because it has an IRS. In a straight line race we are talking about 302 pounds as a weight advantage for the Mustang with fluids and driver ready to run. 300 pounds is significant in a straight line race. I do not have the mathematical skills to convert the weights to the road course, but we are not talking about a 300 pound advantage when you are turning a corner a 1.3 gs The 300 pounds becomes a much larger number. The same is true when you apply the brakes for 100+ MPH.

The real secret will be to produce an American Muscle Car that weighs the same as a Mustang with an IRS. It doesn't matter if it is Ford or Chevy that do it. A Mustang weight IRS equipped car would beat either the Camaro or current Mustang. An IRS is vastly superior for everything a car does with the sole exception of drag racing. That said, there are 9 second GTOs running with K member based IRS that are ancient by current design standards so you can drag an IRS vehicle.

I own both cars. I know them both intimately. I like them both. At the end of the day I want the Mustang to have an IRS and the Camaro to be 300 pounds lighter.
I have two questions for you. Does the overall "better vision" that the cabin in the Mustang provides over the Camaro offer you any advantage or disadvantage when racing against other vehicles at the same time? Which one between the two would you prefer as a daily driver?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #9156
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Would it hurt to look at some data for once and or be a little bit more fair in your assumptions?

You do realize they have track tested the cars and have shown a .1 second difference? You also have a very experienced autoxer telling you the cars are a dead heat stock or modified. Where are you getting this domination from?

Now we all know the camaro is about 250 lbs heavier and slightly slower in a strait line.

How can you say the IRS is being outperformed when it is a dead heat with the mustang on a slower and 250lb heavier vehicle?

Take away 250lbs from the camaro and leave the mustang alone....IRS wins with both cars being equal weight....simple as that. Unless you dont think removing 250lbs could have made up for .1 in that test LOL.

Open your eyes.
I've said it once and I will say it again. when it comes to the 5.0 and SS it's about the drivers and not the cars. Some 5.0 owners want to continue to spread the myth that the 5.0 has topped the SS. From an overall perspective, it is obvious that is not true.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 2011 mustang, 442trumpsall, 5.0, camaro, camaro lost!!!, camaro lost., carthatsucks, corvette, drag, fanboys anonymous, ford, ford mustang, glue factory, gluefactory, gt ss ssrs comparison ford, gtss, mustang, numbers, oldnag, race, tired nag, trolls, video