Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
IBMROBERT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
Samsung Galaxy 3

Hello, Thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy 3 (from Sprint). That model phone is not listed as compatible on chevrolet's website. Have there been any issues or connectivity problems?
Thanks
IBMROBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
mine (verizon) works great, bluetooth stream and bluetooth phone, no real issues. You can't plug it into the USB as Android O/S 4.0 does not have mass storage mode (unless you root the phone) so the PDIM doesn't know what the phone device is and gets a little wonky, but bluetooth works fine.

the one minor 'bug' which isn't the phone persay but the Android O/S is that with 4.0 the bluetooth connection will go into standby when not connected to something, so a lot of times I have to manually connect the phone/handsfree bluetooth when I get in the vehicle.

There is an app on the android store called BLUETOOTHSETTINGS all one word, I put it on my home screen and tapping it connects without having to get into the actual settings -> wireless -> bluetooth -> paired devices screen. There is also an app called Bluetooth Keep Alive if you want to always keep the BT on, however it is a battery killer.

other than that it works great, I will advise though if you plan to use the bluetooth music streaming option you set the phones output volume at about 80% anything higher than that gets badly distorted.

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 11-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
mine (verizon) works great, bluetooth stream and bluetooth phone, no real issues. You can't plug it into the USB as Android O/S 4.0 does not have mass storage mode (unless you root the phone) so the PDIM doesn't know what the phone device is and gets a little wonky, but bluetooth works fine.

the one minor 'bug' which isn't the phone persay but the Android O/S is that with 4.0 the bluetooth connection will go into standby when not connected to something, so a lot of times I have to manually connect the phone/handsfree bluetooth when I get in the vehicle.

There is an app on the android store called BLUETOOTHSETTINGS all one word, I put it on my home screen and tapping it connects without having to get into the actual settings -> wireless -> bluetooth -> paired devices screen. There is also an app called Bluetooth Keep Alive if you want to always keep the BT on, however it is a battery killer.

other than that it works great, I wil advise though if you plan to use the bluetooth music streaming option you set the phones output volume at about 80% anything higher than that gets badly distorted.
What he said,I have the same phone and carrier as him.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
I have one on AT&T and everything worked fine up until I got another HU. It would always connect when I got in the car.
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
IBMROBERT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
Hey thanks, really appriecate the info!
IBMROBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMROBERT View Post
Hey thanks, really appriecate the info!
Happy black friday SIII shopping! 49.99

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
AllBlckChvy

Drives: Black 2LS
I have the S3 (Sprint) and have issues... I listen to music via the aux cable and have the S3 paired with the camaro, but when I receive an incoming call, instead of it streaming via bluetooth, it defaults to the aux port. So you have to unplug the S3 so that you can talk "hands free", which makes it not safe while driving. Seems like it's the sprint model that has this issue. That's my biggest issue with the S3...
AllBlckChvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post

other than that it works great, I will advise though if you plan to use the bluetooth music streaming option you set the phones output volume at about 80% anything higher than that gets badly distorted.

I have a VZW Galaxy Note 2, and it appears that the bootloader was just unlocked yesterday so im itching to ROOT. One of my main gripes is that I cant connect it via PDIM to hear my music like i did on my iphone. So by rooting my phone, what can i exactly do to make my car read my device as media storage and actually play my music now ?
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 View Post
I have a VZW Galaxy Note 2, and it appears that the bootloader was just unlocked yesterday so im itching to ROOT. One of my main gripes is that I cant connect it via PDIM to hear my music like i did on my iphone. So by rooting my phone, what can i exactly do to make my car read my device as media storage and actually play my music now ?

once rooted when you plug it in, there will be a USB symbol in the notification bar, you can choose MASS STORAGE, CHARGE ONLY, and I believe CAMERA (which is used to copy pictures to your computer, makes the computer think a camera is attached).

Choose mass storage and you should be good to go.

the only issue you may find, at least on my GS3, is that since it has 32gb internal storage, and it labels that storage fold as SDCARD and the external MicroSD chip as extSDcard, by default the system is looking for the music files in the music folder under SDCARD.

so if you have them on the external chip it may not find them, you will have to move them to the internal SDCARD folder.

or you can do like me and flip flop the names of the folders so the external is SDCARD and the internal is extSDcard. But you need to be rooted, have superuser turned on and use Astro File Manager to do that.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'm due for an upgrade for both phones on my account (Verizon). I'm leaning towards the S3 but also thinking about the iPhone4s. Any recommendations appreciated.
Mahalo
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Twilborne

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Blue 2LT
I have a GSIII and it is the best phone I have had so far.
Twilborne is offline   Reply With Quote