Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #15
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
Do you think buying a brand new base model was a good purchase?

I'm not clear on your question. I don't have a standard V8 Camaro, it is a limited production (1012) special edition. I also have a relationship with several dealers and paid used pricing for my new vehicle. The 5th gen Camaro started with the 2010 model and went through a mid-year design upgrade half way through 2012 to fix design flaws of the new platform. Many would argue the '13 is the best model, based mostly on proven build quality though some on aesthetics. Others prefer the '14-'15 mid-gen upgrade though most agree, the 5th gen is easier to modify.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on pricing of any car, let alone one with features or modifications you really like, as long as you check comps and go in eyes wide open. There more people than you can count that will tell you what they would or wouldn't pay for something. They don't know what your financial situation is (nor do you necessarily want them to), and they aren't the ones that want the car and they won't end up with the car you're considering. In the end, a sale price is between the seller and the buyer. If both are satisfied with the deal, that's a good deal.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #17
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Usually selling for about 20k more than a standard SS a Callaway new may come with a powerful punch with a big blower slapped on it as some others also do with installed packages yet its IMO flawed in that it does not upgrade so many other things such as the rear, cooling sufficiently, transmission, suspension; many things that make a zl1 the much more prevalently bought Camaro. Sure it has cool badging or maybe see through hood and a custom embroidery etc.....but that's all fluff and I never found them worth the additional sticker. It is Caveat Emptor ; let the buyer beware, as who knows how thrashed it has been compared to others more expensive packages that do address many more concerns when adding hp/torque. Many think oh its a Nickey or a Yenko….cool yet the whole car is a package and upgrades in one area mean others should be done otherwise and then if not done ….you have to wonder how the axles are, hows the trans? etc and if its been hammered.

I know down the road it may be worth more twenty years from now when its a collectible but for now its worth what someone pays for it basically the price a dealer can get for it or private seller to the select small market that considers buying it knowing hopefully what I have just typed about; not all package upgrades are equal. Better shops like Hennessey, Livernois ,or Lingenfelter etc may vary greatly in price but deliver much more for the money compared to how inflated the badging/name they think is worth with their "certificate of build" if they have one..... For most though a ready built supposedly future collectible...not so much on the wanted list as we are not Bill Gates.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I know down the road it may be worth more twenty years from now when its a collectible but ...

Never...going...to...happen. A fool and his money ....
Old 08-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #19
1Willy1

Drives: corvette z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
I'm not clear on your question. I don't have a standard V8 Camaro, it is a limited production (1012) special edition. I also have a relationship with several dealers and paid used pricing for my new vehicle. The 5th gen Camaro started with the 2010 model and went through a mid-year design upgrade half way through 2012 to fix design flaws of the new platform. Many would argue the '13 is the best model, based mostly on proven build quality though some on aesthetics. Others prefer the '14-'15 mid-gen upgrade though most agree, the 5th gen is easier to modify.
Quote:
Never...going...to...happen. A fool and his money ....

I strongly suspected from your posts that you've never had a supercharged car, and most likely had a base model which I was right about.

To say you wouldn't pay any extra for a beautiful intercooled supercharger, short shifter , exhaust + extras done properly by a reputable name brand and then go ahead and pay extra for the DUSK package is sort of laughable , no offense.
1Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #20
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on pricing of any car, let alone one with features or modifications you really like, as long as you check comps and go in eyes wide open. There more people than you can count that will tell you what they would or wouldn't pay for something. They don't know what your financial situation is (nor do you necessarily want them to), and they aren't the ones that want the car and they won't end up with the car you're considering. In the end, a sale price is between the seller and the buyer. If both are satisfied with the deal, that's a good deal.
That's the thing, here in Canada prices are different and I agree I wouldn't pay much extra for the callaway package over any other aftermarket supercharged camaro I do really love the fact it was done by a reputable shop and has all the documents to prove it, to me there is value there regardless of how others see it.

I just put the deposit down on it so its pretty much a sure thing now, I got it for a good deal as long as the car is problem free and as good as it sounds and looks so im very happy with it.

I really wanted a zl1 but the damn prices are still 10-15k higher then what im paying for the callaway and cant justify it at this time, maybe in another year or two we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Usually selling for about 20k more than a standard SS a Callaway new may come with a powerful punch with a big blower slapped on it as some others also do with installed packages yet its IMO flawed in that it does not upgrade so many other things such as the rear, cooling sufficiently, transmission, suspension; many things that make a zl1 the much more prevalently bought Camaro. Sure it has cool badging or maybe see through hood and a custom embroidery etc.....but that's all fluff and I never found them worth the additional sticker. It is Caveat Emptor ; let the buyer beware, as who knows how thrashed it has been compared to others more expensive packages that do address many more concerns when adding hp/torque. Many think oh its a Nickey or a Yenko….cool yet the whole car is a package and upgrades in one area mean others should be done otherwise and then if not done ….you have to wonder how the axles are, hows the trans? etc and if its been hammered.

I know down the road it may be worth more twenty years from now when its a collectible but for now its worth what someone pays for it basically the price a dealer can get for it or private seller to the select small market that considers buying it knowing hopefully what I have just typed about; not all package upgrades are equal. Better shops like Hennessey, Livernois ,or Lingenfelter etc may vary greatly in price but deliver much more for the money compared to how inflated the badging/name they think is worth with their "certificate of build" if they have one..... For most though a ready built supposedly future collectible...not so much on the wanted list as we are not Bill Gates.
I agree that the callaway package was more for the average guy without much knowledge of aftermarket power but had some money in his pocket and was willing to pay the extra $20 000 when in reality he could of maybe spent $12k or so and had the same work done minus the badging.

But guys like that are willing to pay extra to know it comes backed by Gm and came with a warranty, and for me to come along and scoop it up for a decent price used is really great.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #21
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
ZL1 made this car obsolete. I don’t think it’s worth much more than a SS.

As others have said, trans and/or rear diff problems are a given.

One was for sale recently with only 29k miles, and already had a rebuilt trans
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #22
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
ZL1 made this car obsolete. I don’t think it’s worth much more than a SS.

As others have said, trans and/or rear diff problems are a given.

One was for sale recently with only 29k miles, and already had a rebuilt trans
Are they known for having a weak trans and diff or are you just assuming since it has more power something's goimg to give ?

I had a 600 hp magnacharged 02 z06 that was all stock and it held up perfectly fine to the power without any issues .

The guy I sold it too is still stock but he's upgraded the power to 675 ish with a smaller pulley meth headers and a tune and he's also doing fine .
Old 08-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #23
SecondZ28

Quote:
Are they known for having a weak trans and diff or are you just assuming since it has more power something's goimg to give ?

I had a 600 hp magnacharged 02 z06 that was all stock and it held up perfectly fine to the power without any issues .

The guy I sold it too is still stock but he's upgraded the power to 675 ish with a smaller pulley meth headers and a tune and he's also doing fine .
Axle shafts and posi are known to break. Trans is hit or miss with extra power, but remember that is only a stock clutch in there. So it will fry fast
'87 GN
Old 08-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
SecondZ28

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...parts-failure/
'87 GN
Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #25
1Willy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Thanks ill check the link soon
Old 08-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #26
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
I strongly suspected from your posts that you've never had a supercharged car, and most likely had a base model which I was right about.

To say you wouldn't pay any extra for a beautiful intercooled supercharger, short shifter , exhaust + extras done properly by a reputable name brand and then go ahead and pay extra for the DUSK package is sort of laughable , no offense.

I've been doing this a long time and pretty sure my reputation precedes me in a few circles. Owning a SC vehicle is irrelevant and I didn't pay extra for the Dusk, I paid less than most paid for their used SS, ridiculously less. 700+ HP isn't my thing, but I also have relationships with builders and tuners that can build far better vehicles than Callaway or Hennessey, both of which are a joke in their own town here. As secondZ28 pointed out below, the ZL1 made a SS+Callaway 100% obsolete. Even if someone was stupid enough to buy such a vehicle, they are going to turn around and blow out the drive train. The platform simply wasn't designed for it, compared to the brick house of the ZL1, which are pretty much a dime a dozen right now for $35k.

Good luck in your search.

Quote:
That's the thing, here in Canada prices are different and I agree I wouldn't pay much extra for the callaway package over any other aftermarket supercharged camaro I do really love the fact it was done by a reputable shop and has all the documents to prove it, to me there is value there regardless of how others see it.

I just put the deposit down on it so its pretty much a sure thing now, I got it for a good deal as long as the car is problem free and as good as it sounds and looks so im very happy with it.

I really wanted a zl1 but the damn prices are still 10-15k higher then what im paying for the callaway and cant justify it at this time, maybe in another year or two we will see.

I agree that the callaway package was more for the average guy without much knowledge of aftermarket power but had some money in his pocket and was willing to pay the extra $20 000 when in reality he could of maybe spent $12k or so and had the same work done minus the badging.

But guys like that are willing to pay extra to know it comes backed by Gm and came with a warranty, and for me to come along and scoop it up for a decent price used is really great.

The Callaway package is for fools that want a clean package off the showroom floor. You aren't getting a warranty, you will be getting a SS with a bolt on SC with some badging. Callaway didn't do anything special to the vehicle, beef up suspension or anything else. This is all hypothetical BS until some facts come in though. "15k less than a ZL1" doesn't make any sense to say the least, since the link you gave above point to a $50k car. There are a dozen ZL1's available in Canada right now under $40k CAD, including what I would call a 'demo' with 0 km on it.

Enjoy your Callaway.

Last edited by Snoman; 08-20-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #27
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Yankin' the willy or the willy yanks you
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #28
1Willy1

Quote:
I've been doing this a long time and pretty sure my reputation precedes me in a few circles. Owning a SC vehicle is irrelevant and I didn't pay extra for the Dusk, I paid less than most paid for their used SS, ridiculously less. 700+ HP isn't my thing, but I also have relationships with builders and tuners that can build far better vehicles than Callaway or Hennessey, both of which are a joke in their own town here. As secondZ28 pointed out below, the ZL1 made a SS+Callaway 100% obsolete. Even if someone was stupid enough to buy such a vehicle, they are going to turn around and blow out the drive train. The platform simply wasn't designed for it, compared to the brick house of the ZL1, which are pretty much a dime a dozen right now for $35k.

Good luck in your search.

Your all talk man.... you got connections with amazing builders and connections with the dealers and all you end up with is a base model with a nothing package ?

First off, there is no such thing as an an obsolete 572 Horsepower V8 with a stick shift, go try that with the old school muscle car guys and see how well that works for you .

Secondly it does matter that you have never had a supercharged car, because you have no clue as to what your talking about, and the more you post the more clear that becomes.

The extra 140 hp isn't going to start blowing trannys and gearboxes as soon as you hit the gas, you would have to really beat on the car to accomplish that.

If that was the case callaway + SLP etc... would of been put out of out of business in the FIRST YEAR as the trannys and rear ends started blowing up and they would of quit offering those packages.

No one is saying callaway is the best performance package you can buy, its a street package that uses very mild boost and a conservative tune made for street use, so who gives a damn about what builders you may know and what they can do , its all hot air.

And lastly ill remind you, YOU PURCHASED A DUSK PACKAGE, the biggest nothing of all the camaro packages, some yellow stiching on your shifter , a set of floor mats and a new shade of blue is all you got , and your calling other people stupid for paying for a tried and tested performance package.

Get real man lol

The Callaway package is for fools that want a clean package off the showroom floor. You aren't getting a warranty, you will be getting a SS with a bolt on SC with some badging. Callaway didn't do anything special to the vehicle, beef up suspension or anything else. This is all hypothetical BS until some facts come in though. "15k less than a ZL1" doesn't make any sense to say the least, since the link you gave above point to a $50k car. There are a dozen ZL1's available in Canada right now under $40k CAD, including what I would call a 'demo' with 0 km on it.

Enjoy your Callaway.
Again, you purchased the biggest loser package of all camaros, the DUSK package LOL, how can you sit there with a straight face and not see how ridiculous you look.

Yes you get a supercharger, exhaust, short shifter + accesories which all have real world value, unlike your dusk package which has NOTHING of value and NO performance gains of any kind.

yes ZL1's are going for around $40-$45 k here even for the 2012's , and I can pick up the callaway for $27 500 with very low mileage, clean history and all paperwork and receipts.

Next time make a smarter purchase and you wont be so filled with anger and regret .