Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #127
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
I think I heard someone saying that the camaro has a 1st to 4th shift?whats that?is it for better gas mileage?is there a way to avoid it?because I like to stay in lower gears to hear the V8 singing
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #128
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerhash28 View Post
I think I heard someone saying that the camaro has a 1st to 4th shift?whats that?is it for better gas mileage?
Pretty sure it is to avoid the gas guzzler tax

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #129
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Well we don't have to pay tax here and gas is cheaper then water
Old 07-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #130
amerhash28

I don't see why there is no way to turn off this feature.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #131
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
If it's implemented in the same way as it has been, all you'll need is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/SLP-Performanc.../dp/B002WBRRHE
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #132
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
It's no big deal. I have it, as I had it in my Gen 4 TA. As long as you hit 15 MPH in first, it will never come on.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #133
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
I think I heard someone saying that the camaro has a 1st to 4th shift?whats that?is it for better gas mileage?is there a way to avoid it?because I like to stay in lower gears to hear the V8 singing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Quote:
Well we don't have to pay tax here and gas is cheaper then water
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
It's no big deal. I have it, as I had it in my Gen 4 TA. As long as you hit 15 MPH in first, it will never come on.
General Motors has used the skip shift feature for all of their 6 speed manual transmissions combined with V8 engines since the first Corvette ZR1 in 1989.

The GGT is a federal tax that is added to the sticker price of cars with low EPA ratings. The tax is, like every government operation, complicated and really doesn't make sense. Theoretically it's supposed to be imposed car cars that get less than 22.5 MPG combined city/highway, but the 2014 Camaro SS is rated at a combined 18 MPG. So are about 40 other sports cars sold in the USA. So who the heck really knows?

All BMW M series and 7 series are taxed. Both the automatic and manual Corvette Z06. All Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugatti, Rolls and Bentley, they all get the tax. Pretty much any exotic you can think of gets it.

Skip shift is an effort to keep your RPMs low if you don't intend to go fast. It keeps them around 1500-2000 by slipping a pin to force your gear shift lever from first to 4th when you go to shift if you're under 15 mph. It locks out 2nd and 3rd.

GM has used skip shift on Camaros (and Firebird/Trans Am) since they started using the 6 speed on the V8 models in 1993. It's also been used on the 2003-06 Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8 GT, Cadillac ATS-V, CTS-V. Any high powered GM car with a 6 speed manual transmission in the last 25 years has had it.

It's annoying and pointless, and no one at GM has ever given an exact answer as to what the fuel economy of a Camaro or Corvette with the skip shift eliminated really is. I guarantee you a steak dinner at Flemmings GM knows and it's in their Camaro and Corvette documentation. But it does save the manual Camaro and base Corvette Stingray from the dreaded federal gas guzzler tax which can be a couple thousand dollars to $9700. That is what the Veyron got slapped with.

The way the automatics get past the GGT is with AFM and cylinder shutoff. These features can't be implemented on a car with a manual transmission, as that works in conjunction with the automatic transmission and the car's computer to select the gear as well.

Of course, with a Veyron, you can empty it's 17 gallon tank in 11 minutes at it's 252 mph top speed.

So, if you install the part that xgnxs linked to amazon.com in the prior post, that will eliminate skip shift on your Camaro 6 speed manual.

I intend to do this modification the day I drive my Camaro home.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #134
alex70olds
~~*~~

Even with it, my GGT was still $1800.00. With 40K miles now, it has probably only come on twice, it is inconvenient when it does come on. I can understand why you would want to disable it.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #135
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
General Motors has used the skip shift feature for all of their 6 speed manual transmissions combined with V8 engines since the first Corvette ZR1 in 1989.

The GGT is a federal tax that is added to the sticker price of cars with low EPA ratings. The tax is, like every government operation, complicated and really doesn't make sense. Theoretically it's supposed to be imposed car cars that get less than 22.5 MPG combined city/highway, but the 2014 Camaro SS is rated at a combined 18 MPG. So are about 40 other sports cars sold in the USA. So who the heck really knows?

All BMW M series and 7 series are taxed. Both the automatic and manual Corvette Z06. All Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugatti, Rolls and Bentley, they all get the tax. Pretty much any exotic you can think of gets it.

Skip shift is an effort to keep your RPMs low if you don't intend to go fast. It keeps them around 1500-2000 by slipping a pin to force your gear shift lever from first to 4th when you go to shift if you're under 15 mph. It locks out 2nd and 3rd.

GM has used skip shift on Camaros (and Firebird/Trans Am) since they started using the 6 speed on the V8 models in 1993. It's also been used on the 2003-06 Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8 GT, Cadillac ATS-V, CTS-V. Any high powered GM car with a 6 speed manual transmission in the last 25 years has had it.

It's annoying and pointless, and no one at GM has ever given an exact answer as to what the fuel economy of a Camaro or Corvette with the skip shift eliminated really is. I guarantee you a steak dinner at Flemmings GM knows and it's in their Camaro and Corvette documentation. But it does save the manual Camaro and base Corvette Stingray from the dreaded federal gas guzzler tax which can be a couple thousand dollars to $9700. That is what the Veyron got slapped with.

The way the automatics get past the GGT is with AFM and cylinder shutoff. These features can't be implemented on a car with a manual transmission, as that works in conjunction with the automatic transmission and the car's computer to select the gear as well.

Of course, with a Veyron, you can empty it's 17 gallon tank in 11 minutes at it's 252 mph top speed.

So, if you install the part that xgnxs linked to amazon.com in the prior post, that will eliminate skip shift on your Camaro 6 speed manual.

I intend to do this modification the day I drive my Camaro home.
well that just ruined my day
What do they want?it a V8 not a prius.what good about manual if you can't even Change your own gears
Old 07-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #136
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
well that just ruined my day
What do they want?it a V8 not a prius.what good about manual if you can't even Change your own gears
It literally does nothing if your accelerating quickly and or over 15 mph. And your still changing it yourself. It just makes the shifter slide by 2nd and go into 4th when driving slowly.

Disabling it is super easy. One more second wasted worrying about it is one too many. Trust me.

They aren't going to remove the feature and drop mpg ratings to satisfy a small number of people. Especially like I said when disabling it is easy and it's not always active.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #137
alex70olds
~~*~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
It literally does nothing if your accelerating quickly and or over 15 mph.

Disabling it is super easy. One more second wasted worrying about it is one too many. Trust me.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #138
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
It's on my ZL1. I haven't even seen it in the past 1000 miles. And I don't even drive it that hard.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #139
amerhash28

Quote:
It literally does nothing if your accelerating quickly and or over 15 mph. And your still changing it yourself. It just makes the shifter slide by 2nd and go into 4th when driving slowly.

They aren't going to remove the feature and drop mpg ratings to satisfy a small number of people. Especially like I said when disabling it is easy and it's not always active.

This thing really saves me because im always in sity and its a crowded sity with 27 hours traffic so fast accelerating a V8 is not easy in dubai.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #140
amerhash28

Quote:

This thing really saves me because im always in sity and its a crowded sity with 24 hours traffic so fast accelerating a V8 is not easy in dubai.