Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #43
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Don't read April 2012 Consumer Reports. It gives Mustang 5.0 highest honors and beats the snot out of the Camaro. Hope that doesn't move the buying comunity too much.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #44
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
The annual Mustang fire sale of previous year's models. Same thing happened last year where they either equaled or beat us around February and then beginning of Spring.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #45
proxemics

Drives: 09 shelby GT500
looks good

2005 honda accord DD
2009 shelby GT500
1990 LS1 foxbody.Sold
1996 mustang GT.Sold
1994 corvette.Sold
2000 mustang.Sold
1987 camaro Z28.Sold
1985 Supra.Sold
2008 mustang GT.Sold
proxemics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #46
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
I don't know much about tracking sales in the auto industry, but I do know about how consumer products companies track sales.

Manufacturers have to report quarterly numbers for the stock/shareholders. Many many of them "LOAD THE PIPELINE" by overloading dealers (not necessarily car dealers, but say Food Wholesalers or Key Acct warehouses). They report that as a "sale" despite the fact it has not made it to the consumers shelf. In order to make a budget number, we would many times load warehouses with 6 months supply of a key item and because the acct was "invoiced" for the product, the mfr could take "credit" for the sale. The "Key Account" would demand "terms" to extend invoice, since the Mfr was asking the acct to bear the cost of holding inventory. So, instead of normal terms being, say, 2%10, net 30 days" we might make a deal of 2%60, net 90 -- giving them a chance to sell the overloaded pipeline before they had to pay us. BUT, we as a manufacturer took financial statement credit the instant we invoiced/shipped the product regardless of when the client resold it to the final consumer.

So it sounds like Scott is saying that for this particular report "shipments" to dealers don't count as sales. The dealers are acting as "storage facilities" for the manufacturer. But if I am correct, the dealers are "invoiced" for the unit even though it may not have been delivered to the customer.

When it comes to the "books" GM uses for public reports as "sales" do they use the same parameter (units titled to a final consumer) or do they use units invoiced/shipped to a dealer? Just trying to see if the "deliveries/shipments" on the income/financial statements are based on the same parameters as the charts on this thread.

So, to tally - Several questions I have are:

Are the shipments/deliveries for this report the same as used on the financial reports?
Any chance GM might offer 0% 60 on the ZL1? ("NO" forgone conclusion)
Does GM LOAD the pipeline by forcing dealers to accept inventory they may not desire, but have to play along with?
If not, and the inventory manager orders units in the DOSP, and a unit ordered sits for 18 months, are we saying GM does not get ANY sales credit until the dealer sells it?
I really have a lot more questions about this stuff, but it's probably best suited for a different venue, like over a happy hour table one evening!

OK... sorry! Good sales trends anyway, despite Mustang having a reasonable month!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #47
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
As long as these types of cars are selling, it's all good news.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #48
TOYBOY
Winter Wipeout Winner

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I was one of those Camaros purchased!
TOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #49
camaro10

Drives: 2012 45TH Anniversary SS
I hope they don't put more incentives on Camaro. I want residual values to stay high!

My newest edition, Chevy V8 Power!
camaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #50
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro10 View Post
I hope they don't put more incentives on Camaro. I want residual values to stay high!
Hoping people don't get better deals on the camaro, interesting... lol
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #51
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
Hoping people don't get better deals on the camaro, interesting... lol
he does have a point. the cheaper you get them for the lower the value of the existing ones. the value of my car is definitely more important to me than how many chevy sells. I don't own any of their stock, so I could car less. well, other than the shares the government purchased with our taxes.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #52
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
Well I hope the deals keep getting better. I've been waiting 3 years for GM to offer a decent lease on a 2SS. The $1,500 private offer for March and April is a good start.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #53
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
he does have a point. the cheaper you get them for the lower the value of the existing ones. the value of my car is definitely more important to me than how many chevy sells. I don't own any of their stock, so I could car less. well, other than the shares the government purchased with our taxes.
You don't buy cars as investments do you?
The value is going to go down regardless, no need to be selfish and not want people to get better deals.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #54
ChuckD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I don't know much about tracking sales in the auto industry, but I do know about how consumer products companies track sales.

Manufacturers have to report quarterly numbers for the stock/shareholders. Many many of them "LOAD THE PIPELINE" by overloading dealers (not necessarily car dealers, but say Food Wholesalers or Key Acct warehouses). They report that as a "sale" despite the fact it has not made it to the consumers shelf. In order to make a budget number, we would many times load warehouses with 6 months supply of a key item and because the acct was "invoiced" for the product, the mfr could take "credit" for the sale. The "Key Account" would demand "terms" to extend invoice, since the Mfr was asking the acct to bear the cost of holding inventory. So, instead of normal terms being, say, 2%10, net 30 days" we might make a deal of 2%60, net 90 -- giving them a chance to sell the overloaded pipeline before they had to pay us. BUT, we as a manufacturer took financial statement credit the instant we invoiced/shipped the product regardless of when the client resold it to the final consumer.

So it sounds like Scott is saying that for this particular report "shipments" to dealers don't count as sales. The dealers are acting as "storage facilities" for the manufacturer. But if I am correct, the dealers are "invoiced" for the unit even though it may not have been delivered to the customer.

When it comes to the "books" GM uses for public reports as "sales" do they use the same parameter (units titled to a final consumer) or do they use units invoiced/shipped to a dealer? Just trying to see if the "deliveries/shipments" on the income/financial statements are based on the same parameters as the charts on this thread.

So, to tally - Several questions I have are:

Are the shipments/deliveries for this report the same as used on the financial reports?
Any chance GM might offer 0% 60 on the ZL1? ("NO" forgone conclusion)
Does GM LOAD the pipeline by forcing dealers to accept inventory they may not desire, but have to play along with?
If not, and the inventory manager orders units in the DOSP, and a unit ordered sits for 18 months, are we saying GM does not get ANY sales credit until the dealer sells it?
I really have a lot more questions about this stuff, but it's probably best suited for a different venue, like over a happy hour table one evening!

OK... sorry! Good sales trends anyway, despite Mustang having a reasonable month!
Auto sales are reported as "delivery to the ulitimate customer".

Dealership inventory doesn't count towards sales reporting - until they are sold to a customer. So you cannot fill the pipeline to boost numbers. It's in the fine print of the press release.

ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #55
InfernoOrangeSS
VERITAS AEQUITAS

Drives: 2012 IOM SS
Talking

I could not care less who outsells who. (Though, I love the sales figures. It is interesting to see how all 3 muscle cars are doing.)
I was a long time Mustang owner, and when it came time for a new car I did a lot of research on what to get next. I used this site, test drives, etc. to get a good feel for what was out there and what I wanted. I chose the Camaro SS/RS/L99 because it fit exactly what I wanted. I have to say I have never been happier with a new car than I have been with this car. I just love seeing it and driving it. There is nothing wrong with the Mustang GT or the Challenger. They were just not what I wanted. Neither struck me with an "OMG" factor when I checked them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Happiness is an IOM Camaro...
InfernoOrangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #56
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
You don't buy cars as investments do you?
The value is going to go down regardless, no need to be selfish and not want people to get better deals.
No, but if I choose to sell it in a few years I'd prefer to get as much as possible for it
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote