Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #1737
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I'm not disputing the fact that Ford clearly built the better car in this performance catagory and I was not the one who brought up the money difference. When I was destroying New Edge style Mustang GT's in my 01 Z28 I could care less that the Mustang option for option was about 2k less. If you do compare them by the hardware that they have I think you need to add the SVT PP and track pack. Thats a hardware vs hardware apples vs apples comparison. I did forget about the GG tax. If your going to leave your car stock this is a mute point but if your going to mod your car the ZL1 does have its advantages. Sure you can get the GT500 without the extra stuff and it would still eat the ZL1 alive at the dragstrip but this is a ZL1 vs GT500 thread so you have to be fair in the comparison and look at everything. I'm a drag oriented person and while I have no use for the diff cooler I totally have use for the trans and oil coolers. The upgraded diff in the GT500 is another plus that I think I could utilize. The suspension in the ZL1 has cut a 1.4x 60ft time so I know that was a plus. I do agree that GM should have made those items optional and if they had maybe the ZL1 would have been under 50k but since they did put them on standard I think to fairly compare it to the competition the GT500 needs to have those option boxes checked. With or without those options I think the GT500 is the better performing car its just if someone is going to compare the money side of it, as other people have done way before me, you have to give it a fair evaluation.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #1738
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
5.0 vs ZL1, now that's more like it.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #1739
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
So you have to void the ZL1's drivetrain warranty with mods to keep up with a $55k base GT500. Throw a set of DRs on this snake as game over again. . It never ends...if you do this, or that, it will be faster. Chit, why not just start with a $5k used Honda and spend $20k in mods and beat both cars? Excuses are getting lame here.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #1740
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbone View Post
You must admit that given all the market research on this subject, you're a minority. History has proven that once you start catering to vocal minorities, you ruin the majority of real users.
The reality is that both drag racers and track racers are a vast minority compared to the "typical" user. Both camps of enthusiasts are inconsequential to total sales.

If track performance is unimportant, then why build a Boss 302 (LS, R and S)?

If handling well on tracks and real world driving weren't important, then how does Ferrari/Mercedes/Lambo/Porsche/Corvette/you-name-your-favorite-here command the high prices and desireability they have. It's not solely exclusivity.....those cars are bad ass on the track......and on the street. Several suck at the strip.

F1 is the most watched automotive sport in the world. NHRA.......hardly gets on TV.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #1741
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
So you have to void the ZL1's drivetrain warranty with mods to keep up with a $55k base GT500. Throw a set of DRs on this snake as game over again. . It never ends...if you do this, or that, it will be faster. Chit, why not just start with a $5k used Honda and spend $20k in mods and beat both cars? Excuses are getting lame here.

I guess factory equipped has no meaning any more.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #1742
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
F1 is the most watched automotive sport in the world. NHRA.......hardly gets on TV.
F1 surely isnt the most watched in America. We are talking American made pony cars after all ya know.

One has to be nuts to think auto cross racing is anywhere near as popular as drag strip racing for the average joe in America.
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #1743
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
5.0 vs ZL1, now that's more like it.
The difference in peformance between a 5.0 and ZL1 is about the same as a ZL1 and a GT500.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #1744
VADER SS L99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
The reality is that both drag racers and track racers are a vast minority compared to the "typical" user. Both camps of enthusiasts are inconsequential to total sales.

If handling well on tracks and real world driving weren't important, then how does Ferrari/Mercedes/Lambo/Porsche/Corvette/you-name-your-favorite-here command the high prices and desireability they have. It's not solely exclusivity.....those cars are bad ass on the track......and on the street. Several suck at the strip.

Drag racing is one of those sports/ hobbies that is not that fun to watch on TV but is a blast to do in person. Its not as dangerous or as hard on your car as road racing either. I also highly doubt many here in the US watch F1 or indy racing.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #1745
VADER SS L99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
The difference in peformance between a 5.0 and ZL1 is about the same as a ZL1 and a GT500.
Thats actually sad but pretty close to the truth on the dragstrip.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #1746
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
To think you've got a strong-argument in continually pointing out a (conveniently inflated) price differential...

And THEN to completely dismiss and accept and blithely pay a $1300 tax to the government that gains you nothing but a chafed feeling around your butthole, is kinda ironic...

If I'm not mistaken, back in the day of 4th-gen, it was the SS Camaro that had a long laundry list of extras that could push the pricetag well beyond that of a Mustang Cobra... I almost bought a 2002 SS with the entire SLP kitchen-sink of options tossed at it, and the sticker was just shy of $40K for a COUPE.

But it was faster than the 2001 Cobra too, so you justified it, hell you applauded it, and you paid...

That was fine for you, but it's somehow stupid for the Ford camp now that the shoe is on the other foot.

Again, so much hypocrisy from certain contributors here, shifting the rules and the desired attributes of a car around in the desperate scramble to feed your brand-fanboy crack habit.

I'll give Doubleblank and ffrcobra praise for keeping things relatively real, with fairly objective posts.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #1747
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Drag racing is one of those sports/ hobbies that is not that fun to watch on TV but is a blast to do in person. Its not as dangerous or as hard on your car as road racing either. I also highly doubt many here in the US watch F1 or indy racing.
Exactly,its also cheap and easily accessible.
Quote:
Thats actually sad but pretty close to the truth on the dragstrip.
Lol, yea only talking dragstrip performance.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #1748
DJ Red Barron
Banned

Drives: 1986 Buick Grand National
Ah, the cost argument. Reminds me of the TrailBlazer SS VS Cherokee SRT8 arguments. "But a TBSS costs $10k less than a Jeep! And with that money, you can mod the piss out of it and make it spank a SRT8!" All the while, never actually comparing equally equipped vehicles.
DJ Red Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #1749
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
I'm not disputing the fact that Ford clearly built the better car in this performance catagory and I was not the one who brought up the money difference. When I was destroying New Edge style Mustang GT's in my 01 Z28 I could care less that the Mustang option for option was about 2k less. If you do compare them by the hardware that they have I think you need to add the SVT PP and track pack. Thats a hardware vs hardware apples vs apples comparison. I did forget about the GG tax. If your going to leave your car stock this is a mute point but if your going to mod your car the ZL1 does have its advantages. Sure you can get the GT500 without the extra stuff and it would still eat the ZL1 alive at the dragstrip but this is a ZL1 vs GT500 thread so you have to be fair in the comparison and look at everything. I'm a drag oriented person and while I have no use for the diff cooler I totally have use for the trans and oil coolers. The upgraded diff in the GT500 is another plus that I think I could utilize. The suspension in the ZL1 has cut a 1.4x 60ft time so I know that was a plus. I do agree that GM should have made those items optional and if they had maybe the ZL1 would have been under 50k but since they did put them on standard I think to fairly compare it to the competition the GT500 needs to have those option boxes checked. With or without those options I think the GT500 is the better performing car its just if someone is going to compare the money side of it, as other people have done way before me, you have to give it a fair evaluation.
you say the GT500 has to have SVT and PP to be even, but by that logic would the ZL1 not only need to lose 300 pounds, but gain 82 HP and switch to a fully forged motor like the GT500? Both have their advantages, just depends on where you want your money to go, and the vast VAST mojorit would be seduced by HP numbers and the strength of the motors before a bunch of coolers that 99.9% of the people will never need.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #1750
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
GOSH! guys the actual chance of these cars meeting somewhere to race is very slim because both cars are really rare the only way it could happen is if you have a buddy that has a '13 gt500 and you have a ZL1. And then only about 10 percent of buyers race them. both of these cars are going to be faster than most cars on the street, so basically just get the car you have the most passion for the car you love the most because if little pesky numbers stop you from getting the car YOU love then that is truly PATHETIC. I am done.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote