Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
DIY MyLink LED color change

First I'm going to reference the thread started by anglwngss that inspired me to do my own gauges and also to dive into this one. Tons of good info in there!!! I suggest reading the entire thread before starting here. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162226

**Disclaimer--MOD at your own risk! I'll try to help but I'm by no means even close to an expert on soldering. It's a learning process for me and if you're in the same boat just take your time and expect mistakes. I've found that this process is pretty forgiving because I haven't destroyed anything, yet.

Tools needed:
Small Phillips head screwdriver
Small flat tip screwdriver or small plastic trim removal tool of some sort (for removing the volume and menu knobs).
Good soldering iron with a very small tip
0805 SMD LED's (color of your choice)--I purchased mine from and highly recommend Lighthouse LED's.
Soldering stand with magnification, unless you have super eyesight.
I use solder 60/40 Rosin-Core .032 diameter (personal preference, it seems to do better for me. I tried the silver bearing and it was harder to work with, for me).
Small tweezers-I found a pretty good pair at lowes, has a light on it. They are black&yellow.
I'm not sold on flux so it's up to you.
Patience and a fairly steady hand. Take your favorite relaxing prescription medication or drink and relax. It can be frustrating at times! Take breaks as often as needed!

This thing (MyLink) has a ton of screws and flat ribbon connectors. I'll try to take lots of pictures but I may not have gotten every single little detail on my camera. Use common sense or ask questions and I'll try to help out.

I can't go into uninstalling from your car because I have yet to install mine, sorry.

Rear of the faceplate: remove all visible screws and the black back cover will become detached. There is one connector that must be disconnected here. It's just a slide out connector.

Connector:

Screws and cable connections for main board:

Screws for side button card (I had already removed the left side (or right side if you're technical)--BUTTON REMOVAL--I just used even pressure with a small flat tipped screwdriver at one point and worked my way around the knob. It's in there! You'll feel a slight click once you've pried it enough, once you hear the click hold that spot and move around the knob until it pops out. There are 2 stages to removing the knobs. Once it's loose initially you'll have to pull on it again to get them all the way out but that can be done by hand. It's the initial stage that requires a screwdriver or plastic tool. DON'T TRY TO MUSCLE IT AND SCRATCH UP YOUR FACEPLATE!!!

Side card LED's (PROBLEM!)--the LED for the center of the volume and menu buttons I'm not messing with. Feel free to dive into that hole if you wish. I'm going to try a red sharpie to "paint" the LED. We'll see how it works out.

I'll report back once I get my MyLink installed with after pictures!

Remember, if you're going to try this on your own have all the necessary equipment before getting started, and TAKE YOUR TIME.
If this is your first venture into soldering LED's, GET EXTRA!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Cool project!

Based on what you know so far in your disassembly, do you think the painted plastic can be separated from the screen/knobs etc, if you wanted to paint it a different color? I've seen some separate threads on this where no one has found a way to take it apart yet.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

DIY MyLink LED color change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
Cool project!

Based on what you know so far in your disassembly, do you think the painted plastic can be separated from the screen/knobs etc, if you wanted to paint it a different color? I've seen some separate threads on this where no one has found a way to take it apart yet.

About 99% yes. I would check for you(and I will later to be sure) but I actually blew an LED and I only had just enough. I have to order some more so in the meantime, so I don't lose anything, I loosely put it back together.

Also, I do this for most electronic projects(or a lot of screws projects): I draw a quick sketch of the part and put circles where every screw goes. As I take the piece apart I place the screw in it's circle. Makes it easier to put back together. Picture provided FYI.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398805548.041926.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  251.9 KB
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

The volume and power outer knobs are being a PITA. They'll go on but won't stay in place. I gently tried to bend the plastic inward and they stayed, for now. When I get the rest of my kit next week hopefully the knobs will be in place. I'm not overly worried about it because I'm pretty sure my old radio knobs are the same so I can canibalize from it if needed.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Radio face plate hydro-dipped

It all comes apart but there are allot of screws and there are a few different sizes. Just go slow and remember where everything goes as it comes apart. I took mine all apart and then hydro-dipped it and used a hole punch out of tape. It came out really nice.
Bill
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Nice work!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
A_DILLA
Optimus Prime

Drives: Camaro ZLS [COTW 09/22/14]
Looks amazing
A_DILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Can't believe I haven't posted any final product pic's!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416527743.929358.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  212.5 KB
Old 11-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
looks real good nice job
Old 07-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
jbro90

Drives: camaro
Hey there so I did all the leds in the mylink and put it all back together but now my volume and menu select buttons don't work they are lined up and down all the way but I can't raise or lower the volume of music and I can't select or scroll through menu options but both of them spin just fine could it be possible that I have the screws near those spots on the side cards too tight?? That's the only thing I can think of really or maybe there is not enough gap on that plastic thing that the buttons connect to on the circuit board cause I did take that out to change the ledfor the button
jbro90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #11
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

I doubt it's the screws. Are the knobs a tad hard to turn or do they spin easily? What happens when you push on the knob!: does that part of the knob work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk