Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
DeOz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Just an SS – 2014 SS rebuild - AKA – “Bits-O-Piston”

Wanted to start a build thread for my 2014 2SS RS Camaro.

Backstory:
Purchased her new from Capital Chevrolet San Jose CA, good group of people we had a great experience. Being in CA in the land of SMOG and CARB mania I was getting to old to deal with the hassle of Cops, tickets, swapping parts every couple of years, etc. so I decided to stick to looks, suspension, and audio modifications. A year ago, my Wife and I decided to move to NC for multiple reasons. Great side effect of living in the land of NASCAR is that we are now definitely in an area that it is a LOT more gearhead friendly. Because of that I decided to start building some power. I ordered a SLP supercharger when Jegs was doing that killer deal. The idea was to start with the base kit and to work up to other items but to keep it reasonable. This is where the story gets sad.. for reasons unknown piston #4 decided life was just to hard and he had to end it all and took his life in the form of shattering into a trillion parts haha(Bits-O-Piston and cylinder wall everywhere). After a full motor pull and tear down the block and one head are basically boat anchors. So much for keeping things reasonable, so the decision was had to go full bore and do a major build, something I have not done in quite a while, I am getting pretty exited.

Now that were up to speed below is a list of mods accomplished thus far:
Engine:
- Stock LS3 now popped like a balloon
- SLP supercharger
- Factory NPP exhaust
- Vitesse throttle controller (going to remove this don’t think it will be needed anymore after the tune)
Suspension/wheels:
- BC racing coilovers
- MRR replica 20” Z28 wheels
Body:
- ACS T4 front splitter
- ACS ZL1 style side rockers
- Factory GM ZL1 rear diffuser + all bits
- Factory GM ZL1 rear mud flaps
- Custom stripes
Audio
- Full Rockford Fosgate system, two amps, two subs, full components, sound processor, etc. I can update the build post with pictures of this build if people would like to see it.
- Second Skin audio sound material
- Factory GM navigation unit

Looking to rebuild the entire car starting with the motor, change of wheels, change the audio system etc. I will update the post as parts come in.

Engine build planned thus far:
- Thompson Motorsports fully built long block. Stock cubes, forged internals, new CNC heads SS valves, custom cam, all the goodies, bolts etc. (just ordered build time 4-5 weeks)
- JRE smaller SLP pulley, JRE super tensioner
- Squash dual fuel system
- Injectors TBD based on tuners decision
- 1 7/8” – 3” long tube headers, still deciding on what ones to buy
- McLeod RXT clutch, new slave, ss lines, remote bleeder, etc.
- MGW shifter
- Upgrade the supercharger coolant system I am thinking a superchiller like the active chiller?
- Cold Air Inductions intake for the SLP supercharger

Pictures:
Night I brought her home

As she sits now:

All loaded up for a trip from coast to coast:

Safe and sound at her new home:
DeOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Congratulations on escaping CA! Good luck with the forged motor, let's see the numbers when it's running.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
DeOz

My 5th: Thanks, leaving was hard as it is where I was born and raised but life was just getting to insane there (cost, crime, crappy schools, etc.) it was no longer the place I grew up in.

I will post numbers when she is all finished but I am starting to get worried that the new motor is going to be choked by the SLP blower. I am debating if I should sell the SLP and change to a bigger blower or possibly turbo. What the most power anyone has done with the SLP? 700RWHP?

Only update for now is I sold the old and busted block to free back up the stand, and cleaned the engine bay. Now I wait for the engine to come in and figure out what clutch to buy.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Fit4Ink

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would go bigger blower or switch to turbo setup. I forged my stock block and initially was going to run a LSA blower but switched to a big single instead cause power is just about limitless depending on fuel
Fit4Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
DeOz

No picture update but looks like we have a change in plans. The SLP supercharger is out and I am looking into a pair of boost producing snails.

Once I get something finalized I will update.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
DeOz

Sorry for the lack of updates but life has been all over the place. But progress is going down.

Build update, progress:
- Engine was decided to go 416
- Supercharger was sold and going AGP twins
- Engine bay is cleaned up and ready.
- Pulled out the stereo system (look for it up on the for sale section soon)
- Started to order the parts, hopefully in the next month I should be able to get the engine back in the car.
- Found a tuner and are working on a plan for the fuel system.

Getting excited man cant wait to drive this car again

Picture updates:
Almost done being built:

Picking it up at the port:

On the stand ready to get some love:

Few of the parts that have landed thus far: